VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Maybe a "hot take" but Uncharteds source material is shit and really there's only a slither of content for an original film, almost everything in the four games is lifted from other media.

That was one of the worse things about the film, they tried to cram all the stuff from the games in and as you say the games are as derivative as fuck anyway. They should have just took the characters and premise and made something fun instead of a greatest hits. The fun of the games is the playing it not the story.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Couldn't decide whether this should go in Dull Men's Club, or in here, so apologies if the wrong thread. Odeon was my local cinema in London growing up, so this brought back some excellent childhood memories. Might be of interest to a few others. 

• Members
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

Couldn't decide whether this should go in Dull Men's Club, or in here, so apologies if the wrong thread. Odeon was my local cinema in London growing up, so this brought back some excellent childhood memories. Might be of interest to a few others. 

The Richmond Odeon at the top of the hill was an absolutely beautiful regal building with a massive pit in front and ornamental decor.

spacer.png

Pretty much my only Cinema going experience until I was around 13. Kingston was just as wonderful, with a really unique lobby/foyer and the building still stands today as Pryzm.

Edit: good thread idea, someone move it cba.

Edited by SuperBacon

Still Crazy (Amazon)

I remember watching this when it first came out on DVD (I rented it from the local video store) and at the time, wasn’t too impressed and thought it was just ok, but disappointing.

After watching it again, years later I enjoyed it. Yes, the story / script could be better but the cast is fantastic and I always enjoy watching Billy Connolly and Timothy Spall.

There are also certain parts of the story that I am sure were the catalyst for the Auf Wiedersehen, Pet comeback series a couple of years later. 

Edited by Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

The Richmond Odeon at the top of the hill was an absolutely beautiful regal building with a massive pit in front and ornamental decor.

spacer.png

Pretty much my only Cinema going experience until I was around 13. Kingston was just as wonderful, with a really unique lobby/foyer and the building still stands today as Pryzm.

Edit: good thread idea, someone move it cba.

That looks amazing. You must look forward to going there.

Titane

I didn't have much hope for this during the first 20 minutes or so as it felt a bit hokey and stupid but then really came into its own in the second third. That first act ended up making a lot more sense when looking back after watching the whole thing. Great film overall. Available on All4 along with Possessor which I loved.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Available on All4 along with Possessor which I loved.

Really? I hated this film. I think the core concept of it was really cool but don't feel like they did anything remotely interesting with it.

56 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Really? I hated this film. I think the core concept of it was really cool but don't feel like they did anything remotely interesting with it.

Oh, right. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was beautifully made with some really terrifying moments without ever really feeling like a horror movie.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Oh, right. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was beautifully made with some really terrifying moments without ever really feeling like a horror movie.

I think it's Cronenberg Jr's best by far to date, I really liked it too. Infinity Pool was quite good as well.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I've had Infinity Pool for ages but haven't got round to it yet.

Mia Goth's in it so I'm almost certainly being swayed by that but it's got some interesting stuff in it even though it doesn't hang together as well as it could.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Wait, I'm getting mixed up with Infinity Pool. Apologies. Possessor was cool.

Hated Infinity Pool.

• Paid Members

You'll all be shocked to hear that the new Kevin Hart Netflix action comedy Lift is amazingly shit and unfunny. Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Billy Magnussen innocent, for different reasons.

A peculiar double bill yesterday.

Kind Hearts And Coronets (first watch) - my first Ealing comedy. Really enjoyed it, so now I’ll have to seek out more. I’ve seen the remake of The Ladykillers, I imagine the original is far far better. 4/5

Followed it up with Barb Wire (first watch) - I thought maybe this might be one of those “so bad it’s good” films. It’s not. It’s just shit on every level. At least I have my worst film watched this year out of the way nice and early. 1/5

• Paid Members

The Beekeeper - John Wick for those who don’t deserve good things. Some of the worst dialogue I’ve ever heard in the film, a plot which falls apart after the first 30 minutes of continuing to make sense. Honestly one of the worst films I’ve ever seen at the cinema. Can’t wait to watch it again 3/10.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch