WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

All credit to them - they've managed to make it last a decade and they've sold a crazy amount. If it ain't broke don't fix it and all that. But I'm definitely curious to see what the next advances are. All the little tweaks and additions that seem weird at first and then you wonder how you ever lived without them.

I wouldn't go expecting any kind of current gen performance if they're still going down the portable route, how far can you push mobile chips anyway? Especially in a way that doesn't drain the battery in an hour, it'll not be a Steam Deck level console and Nintendo knows it doesn't need to be.

I think DLSS is going to be something they really aim for, AI upscaling can do wonders for performance but also feels like a crutch this gen.

• Paid Members

The only positive I can see coming out of the PS5 Pro is if it brings down the cost of the original PS5.

I can't justify the price of the original model, particularly as there's only two games I'd even consider buying it for, so it's ridiculous that they're bringing out an even more expensive model with nothing actually discernible to make it worthwhile unless part of the plan is for the new model to bring down the price of the original. If the original remains full-price, this feels an even worse decision than it already is.

Even though most of what I play these days is free stuff from PS Plus, I have no intention of ever buying a disc-less console if an option with a disc drive still exists. I don't want the entertainment choices I make to be entirely governed by whether or not I have an internet connection, or whether Sony decides I'm allowed to play a game I own or not. 

4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The only positive I can see coming out of the PS5 Pro is if it brings down the cost of the original PS5.

I'd half expect the opposite of that.. some regions are having official price increases which means they're more expensive than on release.

They'd just bumped up the price of controllers in the past few days over here and elsewhere, too.

• Paid Members

Console journeys? Sorry, I know, I'm VERY late to the dance. Erm. Megadrive (Multimega and a 32X)>Playstation>PS2>XBox 360 (I had more friends on live, and a friend sold me one for £90)>XBox One>Switch. 

In the meantime I've acquired an N64, Dreamcast, Original XBox, NES, SNES, Saturn, GameCube and briefly had a PS4, but my ex father-in-law gifted that to me, and I didn't want to risk causing any trouble by bringing it back with me when i left. 

I terms of handhelds I got a GBA, then traded up to an SP, a PSP, DS Lite, DSi, 3DS and now I'm on the Switch. 

PS5 Pro price looks a bit ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I can't justify the price of the original model, particularly as there's only two games I'd even consider buying it for, so it's ridiculous that they're bringing out an even more expensive model with nothing actually discernible to make it worthwhile unless part of the plan is for the new model to bring down the price of the original. If the original remains full-price, this feels an even worse decision than it already is.

Even though most of what I play these days is free stuff from PS Plus, I have no intention of ever buying a disc-less console if an option with a disc drive still exists. I don't want the entertainment choices I make to be entirely governed by whether or not I have an internet connection, or whether Sony decides I'm allowed to play a game I own or not. 

PS5 is £479 at the moment I think, the Pro £700 plus an extra £100 for a disk drive. So the original is already £320 cheaper if you want the disk drive. I can't see any lowering of prices just now. I think the PS5 was actually £450 on release date and raised a couple of years ago.

43 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

PS5 is £479 at the moment I think, the Pro £700 plus an extra £100 for a disk drive. So the original is already £320 cheaper if you want the disk drive. I can't see any lowering of prices just now. I think the PS5 was actually £450 on release date and raised a couple of years ago.

It was definitely £450 at launch but it was borderline impossible to find for a really long time. 

Would be interested to know the average price they were re-sold for in 2020/2021 as they were getting sold for crazy prices by scalpers.

20 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

It was definitely £450 at launch but it was borderline impossible to find for a really long time. 

Would be interested to know the average price they were re-sold for in 2020/2021 as they were getting sold for crazy prices by scalpers.

My local Cash Converters had them for £800 at one point, people seemed to buy them fairly quickly whenever they went in the window. 

I was thinking, while £700 is expensive it has been worse hasn't it? Consoles were far more expensive at one point, in today's money anyway. And you don't need the £700 one to play PS5 games. 

The Sega CD was £563, that was just an add on

Sega Saturn £796

PlayStation £596 (i paid £130 now around £250 in 97 though)

Nintendo 64 £478 (game prices were about £115)

• Paid Members

Apologies for impinging on Price Chat but I've played some more games.

I finished Inside with 100%. My only disappointment is the obscurity of the final secret - not so much its location but how to access it. Otherwise this game is a mindblowing achievement in concept and execution. I'd happily play it forever but I need to move on to something else from the 200+ things I've now bought.

Also finished Huntdown, not with 100%. Not as keen on Arcade mode but just such an enjoyable game that manages to be challenging even on Easy.

Had a go at some of PopCap's old games, too. Zuma Deluxe is alright but I can't get the hang of it like I did Bejeweled 3, which I've finished already. Didn't care for Big Money Deluxe.

Started Rayman Legends and I expect I'll enjoy it a lot from a quick go. I've also been playing Portal all morning and it it's fair to say it was worth the wait. I might as well just go and buy Portal 2 now because I know where this is heading.

UPDATE: I apparently own Portal 2 already and didn't realise. Maybe I've bought too many games.

Edited by Devon Malcolm