Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

It's the timing of Richards' statement that really got me when looking at all that - there apparently wasn't the time or the scope to cancel his booking and rewrite the show, but he either had that ready to go already before the show started, or he was sat backstage at  before his match writing his response to the allegations, and still went out and worked the match after it had been published, and we're expecting that the promoters can plead ignorance?

It's not like OTT deserve the benefit of the doubt, but it would be hard to extend that to any promotion under those circumstances.

I was sat on a train and saw the story breaking, yet people with a professional interest in the wrestler involved, and who were being tagged in conversations about him, didn't know anything until at least an hour after Richards himself had addressed it? Bollocks.

What do people think about accused who are blacklisted from thr business  in terms of is there ever a point where they can be considered punished and allowed back? Is this a clear case of once accused you shouldn't ever be back in the business?

I'm really torn on the issue, though my natural pull says they should find another profession. 

So basically are these dickheads ever rehab-able?

Edited by Michael_3165

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Nick James said:

The guy idolises Dynamite Kid, seems like in more ways than one. 

I assume it's a stab at the DK skybox joke following this, given it's the previous sentence.

Edited by Tommy!

27 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

What do people think about accused who are blacklisted from thr business  in terms of is there ever a point where they can be considered punished and allowed back? Is this a clear case of once accused you shouldn't ever be back in the business?

I'm really torn on the issue, though my natural pull says they should find another profession. 

So basically are these dickheads ever rehab-able?

Fuck em. It’s not a god given right they have to work in this industry. For most of them, it’s the power structure and dynamic of the industry that allowed them to be abusive so anything where they have power over vulnerable people is a no no. I can see the reasoning for someone being a cunt outside of wrestling being back in the fold but ultimately it’s on promoters and fans. 

And therein lies the rub. People either don’t know or don’t care. Even the top two US based promotions employ abusers and a convicted rapist has appeared for both, but people don’t give a shit enough to stop watching. So there’s fuck all chance of anyone being a persona non grata. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

For most of them, it’s the power structure and dynamic of the industry that allowed them to be abusive

This is key, in my opinion. There are lots of jobs and industry's where they would never take the risk of hiring people with a history like some in wrestling because of the nature of the role and industry make it a risk to others safety.

Wrestling is such a bollocks bunch of shitehawks is it worth the risk of taking on people, even if some have changed? There are lots of jobs they could do where the risk and opportunities are much lower, that said it should be in wrestling but it's not and until it's dragged itself up as an to that point why would you want them in even if it's 2 in 10 that are going to re-peat past actions.

• Paid Members

So what's the deal with Frankie Mooney then (it's him behind this UK Wrestling Council thing)?

He claims to be an entrepreneur, martial artist, author and hypnotist, which is every conman red flag imaginable before you even get to wrestling. I looked him up and what little coverage I could find is clearly bought and glorified press releases in local 'papers, and mentions of matches with, mostly, nobodies. A couple of people I'd heard of, but checked their Twitter and never saw a mention of him.

Anything I've been able to find is just that he's a nutter and a no-hoper, but is there anything more to it than that?

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, herbie747 said:

Oh yeah, I know the clip where Dynamite's Sky Box doesn't have a valid viewing card. But why would Sky call Davey Richards? 

*sigh* Good old herbie.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

So what's the deal with Frankie Mooney then (it's him behind this UK Wrestling Council thing)?

He claims to be an entrepreneur, martial artist, author and hypnotist, which is every conman red flag imaginable before you even get to wrestling. I looked him up and what little coverage I could find is clearly bought and glorified press releases in local 'papers, and mentions of matches with, mostly, nobodies. A couple of people I'd heard of, but checked their Twitter and never saw a mention of him.

Anything I've been able to find is just that he's a nutter and a no-hoper, but is there anything more to it than that?

Nothing says “yeah, I’m definitely well professional” as admitting to having debuted at 15

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

He claims to be an entrepreneur, martial artist, author and hypnotist, which makes him a bonus chapter in waiting for the re-release of 'Smoke & Mirrors and Steven Seagal".