UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje - May 9 ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

Sour grapes from Cruz...I counted, without watching the reply, at least 10 shots once he was on the ground with him just turtling and taking them. That's going to get stopped 9 times out of 10.

• Paid Members

Yeah bit of a contrast to the way he handled the loss to Cody Garbrandt. If it was someone like Steve Mazzagatti or Cecil Peoplesย reffing then maybe but Iโ€™ve never seen anything glaringly bad from Keith Peterson. In fact you forget heโ€™s there most of the time, which is the mark of a good ref. It was definitely a good stoppage. By the time he started moving, Peterson was already stepping in and waving it off. If Peterson wasย drunk, he still didย a better job than a lot of refs, which is worrying in itself.ย 

Saying that, it must be a bastard losing to Legohead. You just know youโ€™re never going to hear the end of it.ย 

Edited by wandshogun09

7 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Big win for Oleynik. Whoโ€™s put together quite an underrated resume over the years. 59-13-1 with wins over Werdum, Hunt, Browne, Cro Cop and Monson. Not to mention all those Ezekiel choke finishes. Not bad at all.

I was going to argue that all of those wins came when his opponent was over the hill.ย However, you could probably make a similar argument forย other heavyweights, so it would be unfair to single out Oleynik.ย 

Heavyweight MMA is a shitshow in general. I dread to think what it is going to be like once Miocic retires. There isย only Ngannou, Blaydes andย Bader (if he ever moves back up)ย who interest me.ย 

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Heavyweight MMA is a shitshow in general. I dread to think what it is going to be like once Miocic retires. There isย only Ngannou, Blaydes andย Bader (if he ever moves back up)ย who interest me.ย 

Itโ€™s slim pickings for sure. Cormierโ€™s got one more fight at best. If Stipe were to hang them up as wellย youโ€™re looking at the most bare bones UFC Heavyweight division since the Arlovski/Sylvia era in the early-mid 2000s. We were spoilt for a bit with Couture, Lesnar, Carwin,ย Velasquez, Dos Santos, Werdumย and that lot. And evenย as faded as Nogueira and Cro Cop were in their UFC stints they added name value and they had their moments. Now all that crew are either done or on their last legs and there hasnโ€™t really been muchย new blood who have stepped to replace them. Miocic and Ngannou obviously stand out. Blaydes to aย lesser extent. But thereโ€™s some lean times ahead over the next few years unless a cluster of beasts pops up out of nowhere again like in 2008.

To be honest, I still really like Rozenstruik. I think heโ€™s still got some real potential. Gettingย chewed upย by the Ngannou machine isnโ€™t good but itโ€™s happening to everyone. I still think he can add something to the division. Guys like Werdum, Oleynik, JDS, Overeem andย Arlovski probably only have a handful of fights each left. Although weโ€™ve said that for years about some of them.

Still some fun hoss fights to be had with Rozenstruik, Black Beast, Walt Harris and coย in the meantime. But we really need to appreciate Stipe and Francis while weโ€™ve got them. A rematch between those two later this year would really interest me, despite the one-sidedness of the first one.ย 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Well, that was quality. I had reservations going in and thought the lack of crowd would harm the show but it didnt really make much difference (seeing some of those god awful wrestling shows must have put the fear in me). I think having Anik, Rogan and DC on the call helped, they always bring good energy.

The quieter setting just highlights how brutal the sport is though. That Gaethje/Ferguson fight was just insane. It was mentioned previously in here that fighting Gaethje takes years off a career. That fight probably took years off Fergusons life. He took a sickening amount of damage, and that last sequence was genuinely scary. Quite surprised that Tony was so ineffective, Gaethje just stayed switched and hit so hard that it stopped Tony getting anything going.ย 

Its a shame we'll never get to see Khabib/Tony but Khabib/Gaethje is the fight ive been wanting for a couple of years now. Wonder what Dana thought of Gaethje effectively throwing down the Interim title๐Ÿ˜„

Great night of fights. Oh, how i missed it.

• Paid Members

oh, and no one mentioned it here, but what about Henry Cejudo retiring? I know a few here wont be mad to see the back of theย lego headed fuck but that was genuinely surprising. I aint sure if it'll stick and going out on top as he has gives him a locked in HOF legacy but there were so many good fights left to make at 135. His career ending run is as good a 4 fight streak as any.

Thought the stoppage was justified too. It was one of those that highlighted how difficult it can be to referee MMA, Cruz argued he was standing up, but he did so as Peterson was already stepping in, too late at that point. It was laughable that Cruz also argued that he'd told Peterson to "let me fight until i go out", it dosesn't work that way ๐Ÿ˜„

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed having the fights back in the end. Whether they should be happening or not is aย different question.

Francis Ngannou huh? Sweet baby Jesus, Rosenstruick got hit by a Mack truck. Ngannou was a tornado. Big Francis doesn't just hit scarily hard, it's the speed and power with which those strikes are going through the air. His speed is crazy. I hope the Stipe vs DC situation can be resolved soon, because it would be a shame to see Francis end up in a Tony Ferguson spot, having earnt the title shot but the fight never happening and then somebody else stopping the fun due to him having to fight in the meantime.

Justin Gaethje impressed the shit out of me. I expected him to have the gas tank for 2-3 rounds, but that mad Tony would be in better shape down the stretch, and just pour it on. Gaethje never gave him an inch though. He stayed disciplined and didn't turn it into a wild brawl where he would take a ton of damage in order to land his own. He put a real beating on Tony here. I have absolutely no idea how Ferguson was standing at several points in that fight. He got hit with bomb after bomb, and those leg kicks? Madness. It seemed ordained that we were never going to get Tony vs Khabib. I guess we can't complain now though as we'll have gotten Gaethje vs Ferguson, with looking at getting Khabib vs Gaethje and Ferguson vs McGregor looks possible now.ย 

I was struggling to call Cejudo vs Cruz going in and who I really thought was going to win. I did have a feeling that if Cruz was going to win that it was going to be a decision, yet if Cejudo would win it would be by knocking him out early, or top control for a decision. In the end I guess you should always pick the person who you think can win in more ways, yet I was still surprised by how comfortable it seemed for Henry. I was totally taken aback by his retirement afterwards. I don't expect it to stick though. If there is a contract dispute, then I see him getting a better deal and coming back to defend the title before a vacant title is even fought for.ย 

• Paid Members

Two fights I really want to see coming out of this show -ย Robbie Lawler vs Vicente Luque and Bryce Mitchell vs Kron Gracie. Can you imagine?

Been a bit of talk about Anthony Pettis vsย Dan Hardy as well. But Hardyโ€™s been teasing a comeback forever now and nothing comes of it. I donโ€™t fancy his chances against Pettis anyway. Probably beย a fun fight to watch though. Hardy does appear to beย growing that mohawk out again so you never know.ย 

ย 

• Paid Members

That was an incredible watch - for me, personally - it must be said.

Five things:

Bryce Mitchell might be one of the most loveable cunts I've ever bore witness to in this sport. There's an old Dublin dish called a Coddle which consists of milk, spuds, boiled rashers and sausages and onions (and more), and I'd love to make him a squirrel coddle and share a Tesco white label beer with him. I'd say he'd like that.

Luque vs Price was an absolutely incredible fight in introducing my mate to the sport. He's never been into MMA, but stayed up with me on Saturday night just because it was something to do, and he sat there through this fight, jaw agape saying "Crazy cunts! Like, seriously? Did you see that??? How the fuck..." While gyrating nervously throughout like Rodney Dangerfield.He then spilled a green Monster drink all over my canvas beige sofa at the climax of the fight. I'm scrambling to get Flash and Big Dom Spray before the missus came down and saw the sofa and he's standing up calling Price the greatest man he's ever seen. Chap hadn't seen fucking anything yet.

Ngannou scares me. Ngannou, bats and Annie Lennox. That's really the main things that scare me in life. Imagine that coming at you? Honestly, like. Imagine that!
I'd say the gust of breeze alone that accompanied he threw before connecting would have felt like opening your car door during a hurricane.

I cannot stand Cejudo. I'm not Cruz's biggest fan either, as I find him horribly boring when he's on commentary which kind of sullied his incredible legacy for me - which I admit, is absolutely cuntish of me - but I do think Peterson should have let the clock run the extra two seconds. I mean, if there was 30 seconds...even 15...10...left on the clock, I'd say "Yep, grand", but two poxy seconds. I didn't expect the sour grapes to come out of Cruz though, and he's even accused Peterson of being hammered drunk out there.

Ferguson and Gaethje. Wow. I had a feeling Gaethje would win because we are never ever meant to see Khabib vs Ferguson and now, Fergusons' loss has taken a good 40% off the will to see said fight in the future, but I think if they announce Ferguson/Khabib again, AIDS would become airborne or something, so probably for the best to leave it there.
I don't know what I'm more impressed with ; the fact Ferguson took a clattering like that where most lads would be out after the first smack Gaethje landed, all the while still moving forward and remaining perfectly coherent in the post fight, or Gaethje's performance.

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Paid Members

Luque vs Price shouldโ€™ve got the FOTN bonus, I reckon. If not that then Kattar vs Stephens.

Instead, Gaethje vs Ferguson got it and Gaethje also got a Performance Of The Night bonus on top of that. I mean, I donโ€™t begrudge Gaethje getting extra. He deserves it all. But how about spreading the love a bit? That $50K wouldโ€™ve made a big difference to guys lower down the card like Luque and Price. Gaethje vs Ferguson was great, but I felt like it was more of a great performance from JG than anything. Luque vs Price and Kattar vs Stephens were the better actual fights for me. Itโ€™s all nitpicking though.ย 

Edited by wandshogun09