UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje - May 9 ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

McGregor makes it damn near impossible to be a fan of his. I was on his bandwagon before the Mayweather fight, but the money has truly changed him. I thought maybe he had matured with the lead-up to the Cowboy fight, but based on these Tweets, the cynical take that he was just really PR-conscious seems to be the true one.

Gaethje was an absolute beast at 249. Took the fight to Ferguson like no one else, and he had the gas tank to keep swinging hammers all 5 rounds. Tony Ferguson looked like he fought Tony Ferguson at the end of that one.

The no fans aspect made for a jarring, but at times fascinating, viewing experience. From hearing the THWACK of every strike in the main event, to one of the fighters relying on DC's commentary to coach him through a fight, it was fascinating. Like with the Brazil card, I think the lack of crowd noise and being able to hear coaching clearly was a big factor in the lack of finishes early on.

Unless, of course, you're Francis Ngannou. That dude is scary. I hope he's been working on his grappling- a man with that god-tier punching power, combined with the ability to stop people getting him to the ground... that's a scary proposition.

Edited by Shane O' Mac Version 2

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

ย 

The no fans aspect made for a jarring, but at times fascinating, viewing experience. From hearing the THWACK of every strike in the main event, to one of the fighters relying on DC's commentary to coach him through a fight, it was fascinating. Like with the Brazil card, I think the lack of crowd noise and being able to hear coaching clearly was a big factor in the lack of finishes early on.

ย 

Spot on. Hadn't thought about the coaching thing possibly contributing to the lack of finished. Someone did say post-fight that they picked up on something DC said on commentary so it is possible.

• Paid Members

I love how Teddy is getting into MMA. Itโ€™s nice to see an old school Boxing guy who doesnโ€™t just shit all over it. Theย Boxing vsย MMA thing seems is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. You still get twats like Paulie Malignaggi who hates all MMA fans because some trolled him on Twitter in 2017. But on the whole, the two sports seem to co-exist with more harmony than ever before. Itโ€™s been cool to see stuff like Poirier and Masvidal on Teddyโ€™s podcast. And more recently Bisping and Till on Hearn and Bellewโ€™s podcast. Those are the only Boxing/MMA crossovers I want to see these days. Youโ€™ll never get a fair reflection with the actual crossover fights because one guy is always at a disadvantage by fighting under the other sportโ€™s rules. Itโ€™s nice to see a lot of the ignorance and shite talking on both sides has mostly died down though.

On the no crowd thing, it definitely makes it hit home how brutal the sport is. Itโ€™s easy to forget and become desensitisedย sometimes with the crowd drowning everything out. But hearing the impact of a knockout shot and then instead of your attention being turned to theย big crowd reaction to it, thereโ€™s justย the eery quietness. Itย really makes it sink in that someone just got switched off. TUF used to be the same for that. There were some shocking knockouts on there over the years that were genuinelyย scary to watch. Like remember this one from Matt Riddle?

That was 12 years ago now and itโ€™s never left me.ย 

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Spot on. Hadn't thought about the coaching thing possibly contributing to the lack of finished. Someone did say post-fight that they picked up on something DC said on commentary so it is possible.

Yeah, I noticed it first in the Oliveira vs. Kevin Lee Fight Night. I believe it's a big factor, especially in grappling exchanges. It's really clear what the coaches are telling their fighters, step by step, to improve their position. You hear them say things like "feet on hips!" "elbows off the mat!", and not only does their fighter hear those instructions, so does the opposing fighter. So you get this weird stalemate where they're constantly working for stuff, but you rarely see a dominant or compromising position for any real length of time.

Except if you're Bryce Mitchell. Man, was he impressive. Charles Rosa is a really good grappler, and Mitchell just had his way. Credit to Rosa for surviving that many submission attempts, there were a few that looked especially painful, and a lesser fighter may have given it up there. Mitchell kept going for Twisters again too, the mad bastard. That fight gave me slight flashbacks to George Sotiropoulos vs. Joe Stevenson at UFC 110. Old G-Sots was a misery guts, but he was a hell of a submission threat, and he had a grappling-based fight with Joe that was genuinely exciting to me as a new fan of MMA (at least as far as starting to watch regularly). Grappling can be extremely exciting if the fighters are high-level enough.

• Paid Members

Id forgot to mention the Bryce Mitchell fight, he looked awesome. You'd think he was going up against a guy with no grappling knowledge but Rosa is a black belt in his own right. Someone mentioned on the Luke Thomas live chat they should do Mitchell vs. Ryan Hall or Brian Ortega next. Count in for either of those!

• Paid Members

I'd not seen a twister before, but it's basically a ground version of an abdominal stretch! Or as the Japanese would call it, a Ground Cobra Twist.

It's genuinely cheered me up to know that there's one more move in pro-wrestling that actually works in real life, even if it is extremely difficult to pull off.