UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje - May 9 ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

Wow.ย Gaethje just fucking brought it toย Ferguson, that was brutal to watch, he just took him apart. Man, we're not gonna get Ferguson vs Khabib, but fuck me if Gaethje can fight like that against Khabib then its gonna be a barn burner.

1 minute ago, neil said:

Wow.ย Gaethje just fucking brought it toย Ferguson, that was brutal to watch, he just took him apart. Man, we're not gonna get Ferguson vs Khabib, but fuck me if Gaethje can fight like that against Khabib then its gonna be a barn burner.

He was absolutely brilliant to be fair, well deserved. I don't get how Ferguson took that many of those shots, unreal.ย 

The main event was full of surprises. I didn't think Gaethje had the gas tank or discipline to produce a performance like that. I also didn't think anyone atย lightweight could take that amount of clean shots from Gaethje and remain standing. Ferguson has one of the best chins in the sport's history.ย 

I can't wait for Khabib vs Gaethje. It was the fight I wanted mostย at lightweight anyway, and afterย Gaethje's performance this evening,ย I am looking forward to it even more so!ย It will be Khabib's biggest testย to date. Gaethje is aย tougher style match-up for Khabib than Conorย imo.ย 

McGregor vs Ferguson makes sense andย is a very interesting match-up. However,ย the Gaethjeย fight surely took aย lot out of Ferguson, and at 36 years old, perhaps this is the beginning of hisย decline. Besides, Dana seems keen on having McGregor challenge Masvidal for the Non-Grappling (BMF) title.ย 

Overall, a very enjoyable night of fights.ย 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

It's just not meant to be. There was something sadly predictable about Ferguson getting stopped here. However, that performance solidifies Gaethje as a real Don of the division. I thought he buggered it and would gas from the 3rd onwards, seeing how the last minute of the 2nd went but fair play, he listened to his coaches and started picking his shots better. Tony was rolling away from a lot of the power shots in the 2nd but as the fight went on Gaethje was far more accurate. Ferguson was bossed for the remainder.

Cejudo's is supposedly in a contract dispute with UFC so explains his decision a bit more. Still, nice when fighters get out at the top. Early stoppage or not, Cejudo seemed to have the timing of Cruz down from the first second of the fight. He really is something special.

The only issue with the Ngannou fight was his hairline.

Edited by ColinBollocks

I put ยฃ10 on the SkyBet Special (both Ferguson and Gaethje to be knocked down in the fight 10/1). Watching live and with a head full of beer I could have sworn both were down at some point. However, SkyBet have settled the bet as lost this morning.ย 
ย 

Other than the Waterson fight, I thought all the rest delivered. Although I felt the judges got a couple of the decisions wrong.ย 

• Paid Members

I still think itโ€™s nuts that this went ahead under the circumstances but fuck me thatย was enjoyable. I saw someone on Twitter last night saying having the UFC back feltย like being away from home forย an extended period and then finally getting to sleep in your own bed again.

Gaethje vs Ferguson was exciting as everyone expected. What wasnโ€™t expected was how good Gaethje looked. Like Jim said, I never thought Gaethje had this type of performance in him. I thought he could win but I always pictured it as just a crazy war and him landing a KO punch in the madness. He was still throwing fucking bombs but he was more composed than usual and chose his shots more wisely it paid off big time. Aside from the scare at the end of the second round, Gaethje looked sharp as fuck the whole fight. I thought he might fade a bit late but he didnโ€™t, and by then Fergie was battered anyway. Ferguson took a bad beating.ย 

This was the best Gaethje has ever looked to me. He was more controlled but not to the point of taking away that mad bastard side of him that brought him to the dance. And itโ€™s worth remembering that Ferguson hadnโ€™t lost for 8 years prior to this. A reallyย great win for Gaethje.ย Gutted that it looks like Khabib vs Ferguson is probably never going to happen but it might be forย the best. Itโ€™s doomed. Khabib vs Gaethje is a hell of a fight to think about. Really interesting. Iโ€™m hoping Ferguson or Masvidal eliminate McGregor from the running altogether.ย 

Cejudo vs Cruz was really good while it lasted. Wish we got a couple more rounds of it because it was really starting to heat up. Thought Cruz looked good considering the long layoff but coming straightย back against the champ was always a big ask. Really disappointed with the result. Not only did I want to see Cejudo lose, it wouldโ€™ve beenย such an incredible story if Cruz pulled it off. He was moving well butย Cejudo just had him figured out it seemed. That knee that dropped Cruz was a beauty.

The retirement stuff after was weird but less so when you hear heโ€™s having contract issues with the UFC. Straight away when he โ€˜retiredโ€™ Bisping tweetedย something like โ€˜Best contract negotiator everโ€™. Heโ€™ll be back making us all cringe soon enough.

Francis Ngannou canโ€™t be human. That was ridiculous. Rozenstruik is no joke as well. Heโ€™s had 80-odd Kickboxing fights and won a bunch of belts, unbeaten in MMA. Heโ€™s nowhere near the jobber Big Francis just made him look. Heโ€™s still with us, thankfully;

AAF811-A2-C82-B-47-F7-8-F2-B-4-C28-FBF45

I donโ€™t know if Stipe vs DC 3 is still happening but Ngannou deserves his shot regardless. The run heโ€™s been on since the lossesย to Stipe and Lewis is mental. Heโ€™s knocked out Curtisย Blaydes, Cain Velasquez, Junior Dos Santos and nowย Rozenstruik. In a combined 2:42! With only JDS even lasting a minute.ย What the fuck? Cormier mustโ€™ve sat cageside,ย looked at that and thanked fuck heโ€™s never going to have to face the wrath of Ngannou. There was something even scarier about theย KO in an empty arena asย well.

Kattar vs Stephens was fucking awesome. Really got the main card back on the right track. Iโ€™ve never warmed to Stephens but heโ€™s been soย much fun to watch over the years. Hard to believe heโ€™s still only 33. Feels like heโ€™s been around forever. I like Kattar a lot though. Really think he can be a player at 145. And that elbow! Christ...

25FBCE9F-F277-4C04-9F0D-4FCD4D62A4AC.gif

Everyoneโ€™s talking about Volk, Holloway, Zombie, Zabit,ย Yair and Ortega but I think Kattar could be a darkhorse in that mix. Iโ€™d love to see Kattar vs Zombie at some point. Kattar vs Barboza would be great as well if Barbozaโ€™s 145 debut goes well next week. Featherweight is the dogโ€™s bollocks.

Hardy vs De Castro...Iโ€™ve not got a lot to say. Just canโ€™t be arsed with Hardy one bit. His fights are nearly always the shittest thing on any show heโ€™s on. And/or they have some controversy attached.ย Yet heโ€™ll probably main event next time now. I donโ€™t want to hear about his NFL daysย ever again. I think everyone knows he was in the NFL by now. Anik was going straight Jim Ross with the football shit at times last night. Fuck Hardy. De Castro started OK as well. Got my hopes up. Then did sod all.

Pettis vs Cerrone 2 was good stuff. Really enjoyed it. Glad we got a proper fight out of it this time. I was always a little bit disappointed we never got a longer fightย the first time. This was good. You could tellย they hadnโ€™t had a fullย camp. Pettis looked probably the softest Iโ€™ve ever seen him and Cerroneโ€™s timing seemed reallyย off a few times. But it turned into a fun fight and the last round was especially exciting. Seen a few cries of robbery online, which I donโ€™t get. It was close but I definitelyย had Pettis taking it 29-28.

Werdum vs Oleynik was such a weirdly brilliant fight to watch. I thought Werdum was looking terrible the first round. You could really tell he'd been out of the game for a few years. He couldnโ€™t seem to get anything going and Oleynik was going to town on him with some of theย sloppiest yet strangely effective striking Iโ€™ve seen. What he lacks in technique he makes up for by just not stopping throwing. I loved the grappling battle when they were down there. Werdum still looked pretty on point there, unsurprisingly.

A74-FAB54-AED2-4479-BBD9-13153-EF0-B8-F2

Big win for Oleynik. Whoโ€™s put together quite an underrated resume over the years. 59-13-1 with wins over Werdum, Hunt, Browne, Cro Cop and Monson. Not to mention all those Ezekiel choke finishes. Not bad at all.

Esparza vs Waterson wasnโ€™t the best. Nothing technically wrong with it but it just felt like a light sparring match most of the time. Finally picked up towards the end of the third but then the buzzer went. Typical. Wasnโ€™t a fan of the decision here. Had Waterson winning myself so was a bit surprised they gave it to Esparza. Scorecards were all over the shop as well with aย 30-27 going each way.

Loved Luque vs Price 2. So glad it made the TV bit. It always deserved better than to be stuck on Fight Pass. Really good scrap as expected. Big fan of both andย Niko Price has becomeย one of my absoluteย favourite undercard guys to watch but Luque just proved too much for him. That big left that put Niko down at the end was just vicious.

Didnโ€™t catch the Fight Pass prelims in the endย but saw bits of theย Bryce Mitchell fight. His ground game is insane. Imagine if heโ€™d pulled off another twister? We went nearly 20 years before we saw a twister finish in the UFC, and this little red neck fuck nearly did it in back-to-back fights. Someone suggested Mitchell vs Kron Gracie on Twitter. Iโ€™m down for that.

Cracking show.ย 

• Paid Members

I had not a clue the prelims were so stacked. Definitely will check them out.

As much as big Tone losing sucks, Gaethje v Khabib is a shaft slider of a fight. A lot of time for Justin trying to position the fight as the good America boy v Russia post-fight.