Food Rules

Lion_of_the_Midlands

19 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

There's a woman in our office who dips a twix in her pot noodle. I'm not sure I can get on board with that. Bread in the pot noodle is ok. The twix in a cup of tea is ok. But mixed together? Am I wrong?

Everyone frequenting the "Why don't you get a job?" thread will be reassured to know this person is actively employed.

• Paid Members

The only food "rule" I think I've ever had set for me, is back when my Nannan was still alive(she's ben dead over 20 years now!). She used to make a big, fuckoff Sunday dinner every weekend for all the family(and it was a BIG family, she had 6 kids, and all had at least 2 more kids who all went for the dinner!) and she insisted that you leave some of your meat for last so if anyone visited unexpectedly, it wouldn't look like she's been tight with the meat. I miss the tough ol' bird everyday! 

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

There's a woman in our office who dips a twix in her pot noodle. I'm not sure I can get on board with that. Bread in the pot noodle is ok. The twix in a cup of tea is ok. But mixed together? Am I wrong?

That is horrific, making me gip just thinking about it. 

1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

The only food "rule" I think I've ever had set for me, is back when my Nannan was still alive(she's ben dead over 20 years now!). She used to make a big, fuckoff Sunday dinner every weekend for all the family(and it was a BIG family, she had 6 kids, and all had at least 2 more kids who all went for the dinner!) and she insisted that you leave some of your meat for last so if anyone visited unexpectedly, it wouldn't look like she's been tight with the meat. I miss the tough ol' bird everyday! 

This is absolutely marvellous.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

Reminds me of that thing in some cultures where clearing your plate is seen as an insult because your hosts haven't given you enough.

It's funny you should say that! My family was the steriotypical, northern working class family. They had a 3 bed council house, which homed my Nannan, Grandad 5 boys and a girl(my mam). At one point(years and years before was born), one of my uncles brought his new girlfriend home for the first time. She was, lets say a social class above our family, very well spoken and a bit timid. She'd been brought up to never finish a meal so not to insult her host's hospitality(apparently she beleived that finishing the meal meant she was still hungry).

So, the next time she went over, she was given less food, and once again she left a bit. The time after, she was given even less. It got to the point where she finally plucked up the courage to tell the rest what she was doing, as her dinners started to  litterally be one potato, a small piece of meat and teaspoon of peas and was going home starving everytime.

Edited by Cod Eye

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I’m going to go to a world buffet tomorrow because of this thread. I’ll get an item from each country and pour gravy over the lot. Yes, there will be photos.

First course 

6DD5DCBC-E60B-4265-9090-DC5B82B08335.thumb.jpeg.9ea0a0fc8e642ea2268c20af2bb29744.jpeg

Same plate for second course  

04957973-EAE6-4276-A268-8D6B2147CFEA.thumb.jpeg.b1069cca0164660b9a16dcf97b5bad04.jpeg

Your rules were delicious22A2DBC3-14D3-4206-BADC-4262685903BD.thumb.jpeg.a8e53a90d6508e6b37297815418fda2e.jpeg

6 hours ago, WeeAl said:

As a strong an argument for not letting people enjoy the things they like as I've seen.