Your top 20 video games of the 21st century

RedRooster

We had a similar thread on films, with the criteria being that your selections don’t necessarily have to be what you consider the best games of the century, they can be games that meant something to you for one reason or another.

In no particular order, I’m going to go for:

1. Fallout 3 - my first real experience of an open world. I played this game at the same time as my uni flatmate and we ended up having totally different experiences. 

2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I spent more time hunting, fishing and generally living life than I did following the outstanding storyline. Little did my camp know that they were surviving predominantly from a diet of horsemeat.

3. Super Mario Galaxy - I generally think the Wii is a hugely underrated console, with a huge selection of great games. This is one of my favourite Mario games ever.

4. Xenoblade Chronicles - Yup, the Wii was awesome.

5. Tetris 99 - I can’t stop playing this right now. And I’m pretty darn good at it, if I do say so myself.

6. Pokemon Black/White - It was hard to pick a Pokemon game because they’re all so good, but this marked the first time I actually became a Pokemon master and caught ‘em all, this earning the respect and admiration of the UKFF, right?!

7. Skyrim - Specifically the Swotch version of this game, which I’ve played the absolute shit out of.

8. Zelda: Oracle of the Ages/Seasons - I’m cheating a little by selecting both, but these were the first Zelda games I ever played and they still hold up really well today in my opinion.

9. Stardew Valley - it gave me a farm, a wife, the ability to speak to my dead grandfather...why wouldn’t I love this?

10. Super Smash Bros Melee - I was very tempted to pick the Wii sequel, but this game was THE game of my uni years. Team Jigglypuff 4 life.

11. Jak & Daxter - God knows why they went for the gritty approach with the sequels, this was a far better game.

12. Mario Kart DS - Id be embarrassed to admit how many hours I ploughed into this game, especially after owning up to becoming a Pokemon master.

13. Final Fantasy IX - I replayed this recently and while it doesn’t quite hold up, it’s still a game that means a lot to me.

14. The Walking Dead season 1 - That ending...wow. I miss Telltale games.

15. Tales from the Borderlands - criminally underrated.

16 Superhot/Superhot VR - another cheat pick, but I couldn’t decide which one I liked better.

17. Hotline Miami - the sequel was terrible, but the original is a game I still like to revisit every now and then

18. EWR - I absolutely loved this game. Much like Football Manager, the sequels got too detailed for me, but this game was a key part of my early wrestling fandom. I made Brian Kendrick WWE champion just because I could.

19. Championship Manager 01/02 - I’m not sure I’ve ever spoken about a game with friends as much as I did this one. In our school Champ Man was as much a social thing as it was a game.

20. Towerfall Ascension - my favourite indie multiplayer game, and it was free on PS Plus!

Edited by RedRooster

I've just come from playing Control, Death Stranding and Disco Elysium in a row so I'd be far too biased towards games from this year.

Also, I'd pick New Vegas over 3 anyday. Fallout 3's writing doesn't stand up as well today as it did when I played it, New Vegas puts a smile on my face still.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I've just come from playing Control, Death Stranding and Disco Elysium in a row so I'd be far too biased towards games from this year.

Also, I'd pick New Vegas over 3 anyday. Fallout 3's writing doesn't stand up as well today as it did when I played it, New Vegas puts a smile on my face still.

These days I probably do prefer New Vegas, but I’m picking 3 simply because of the way it made me feel at the time. I hadn’t felt awestruck by a game since Final Fantasy VII or Ocarina of Time, and honestly, I thought that feeling was something I’d never get again. But I did, and it was because of Fallout 3.

• Paid Members

I'd put FO3 above New Vegas. Whilst NV has better writing and a tighter RPG elements, FO3 had bags more charm to it and the main story felt more engrossing. 

So I'd put Fallout 3 in there, along with Saints Row 2, Halo: Reach, Smackdown:HCTP, Binding Of Issac, Vice City, Batman: Arkham City, Wario Ware:Touched and Elite Beat Agents.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I'd put FO3 above New Vegas. Whilst NV has better writing and a tighter RPG elements, FO3 had bags more charm to it and the main story felt more engrossing. 

So I'd put Fallout 3 in there, along with Saints Row 2, Halo: Reach, Smackdown:HCTP, Binding Of Issac, Vice City, Batman: Arkham City, Wario Ware:Touched and Elite Beat Agents.

Ahhh how could I forget Warioware? I’m kind of surprised that Nintendo hasn’t brought the series to Switch yet. I hope it’s coming.

Burnout Dominator

Zubo

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Pt1

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows : Pt 2

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit

Alien: Isolation

Quantum Break

Abandon Ship

Telling Lies

er...

Fast & Furious Crossroads (out next year).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'd like to come back and write something on each but for now, in no particular order the ones that came to mind:

Little Big Planet 

Beatles Rock Band

Metal Gear Solid 4

Manhunt

Grand Theft Auto 3

Fallout 3

Fallout 4

Wipeout PS3/PS4

The Last of Us

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Super Mario Odyssey

Half-life 2

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

Lumines (PSP/Switch)

I have God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, RDR2, Bloodborne, GTA5, Spiderman and Witcher 3 all waiting to be played and from what I've heard could likely make the list but for now these are my picks. Still playing through Death Stranding at the moment and although it looks great it doesn't make the cut.

I found it impossible to stick to 20!

5th Generation (Post-2000): Smackdown 2, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, Spyro: Year of the Dragon, WWF No Mercy.

6th Generation: Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, Tony Hawks 4 & Underground, WWE Smackdown HCTP & 2006, Shadow Of The Colossus, GTA San Andreas, Gun, Tekken Tag Tournament, King of Colossum II & Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, Pokemon Fire Re .

7th Generation: Fallout 3, GTA V, The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption.

8th Generation: Cuphead, Inside, Sniper Elite 4, Hitman. Fire Pro Wrestling World.

Edited by pitseleh

• Paid Members

Championship Manager 01/02

Championship Manager 4

Championship Manager 03/04

Football Manager 2005

Football Manager 2006

Football Manager 2006 X Box Edition

Football Manager 2007

Football Manager 2008

Football Manager 2009

Football Manager 2010