UFC 244: Masvidal vs Diaz - Nov 2 ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeh, Walkers great. I dont see him beating Corey Anderson tomorrow though.ย 

Masvidal continues to be a revelation during fight week, never seen a guy seem so comfortable in spotlight for his first time in such a high profile situation. Helwani said on his podcast that he's winning everyone over with his mainstream media appearences and hes done loads, the guy just has that certain cool charisma that you cant teach. I know no one blows through Nate Diaz but im starting to lean towards Masvidal putting a bit of a beat down on him here.

• Paid Members

Is anyone else really surprised to see Nate not be the favourite here? I had it in my head that the bookies would have it close, but with Nate being odds on to Masvidal's odds against. They are both well rounded fighters, but in a fight that feels like it's going five rounds on the feet, I'm not picking against Diaz in that type of fight.ย 

I'm trying to think of how I'd view this fight before all of the "baddest motherfucker," "street Jesus" nonsense that we've gotten of late, and I think I'd favour Diaz to win.

Taking the Askren win out of the equation, because that wasn't even really a fight, I think that Masvidal has shown he can be outlasted and outpointed.ย 

Diaz looks the more well-rounded fighter for me, and the way he's taken guys like McGregor, Cerrone, and Michael Johnson into deep water and essentially drowned them in strikes could be a contributing factor to his success here. His ground game is also better than Masvidal's I think.

The one thing Nate doesn't have in his favour is power and size. This is a welterweight fight, and despite him trying to convince usย to the contrary, he's a small welter at best, and an oversized lightweight at worst. He'd be a prime player at 165lbs.

For Masvidal to win this he'll need to stop Nate I think, which he can only really do via strikes. Nate has been stopped once via strikes in 31 bouts, and that was over six years ago. It'll be a tough ask.

For me, it's always about who has the most ways to win, and I think Nate can win this via strikes, on the ground, or via decision, which is why I favour him.

ย 

• Paid Members

I do wonder how this BMF bollocks will affect the fight. There's a whole load of swinging schlong influencing the approach to this, so you've got to think it's going to end up a stand-and-bang. David's point about size makes me think that this could be a major factor - the fight's not likely to go to the ground, partly because of the BMF shit and partly because Masvidal won't want to compete with Diaz in a submission contest, and whilst Diaz' cardio is superior, physical size can eventually make a significant difference over a long enough period of time.

I don't know about this one, it seems difficult to call. Seems to me it's either Diaz on points, or Masvidal via KO. Perhaps Diaz via sub, but again I think this BMF thing will affect the way both guys fight.

The size and power could play a part I think. It's worth remembering that while I said that Diaz had only been stopped once via strikes in his career, he's not faced a heavy-hitting welterweight too often throughout his MMA run.

Masvidal has stopped big guys like Till, Cerrone, Ellenberger, Cezar Mutante, and obviously Ben Askren. He hasn't lost a fight via submission or strikes since Toby Imada subbed him at Bellator 5!ย ย 

• Paid Members

Itโ€™s got 5 round decision written all over it for me. Nobody is unfinishable but these two especially are known for their durability. Much strangerย things have happened but I canโ€™t see Masvidal knocking Diaz out and, as good as Diaz is on the ground, I think Masvidal has enough about him to survive there,ย if it even goes to the ground. Masvidal isnโ€™t known for his ground game, obviously, but he did survive 3 rounds of Demian Maia and he also submitted Michael Chiesa years ago. Heโ€™sย definitely got a clue when it comes to grappling.ย 

Itโ€™s tough to call because Diaz has been inactive and I do think Masvidalโ€™s KO over Askren mightโ€™ve flattered him a bit.ย I see it going to the cards. And Iโ€™m leaning towards Diaz.ย 

Oh and it says it all about how likeable Johnny Walker is that even David would enjoy seeing him dethrone Jon Jones.ย 

0981E1EC-317D-49BC-AC2A-773C41C3111F.gif

• Paid Members

Walker turning Jones into a corpse and worming his way into myย "I'M NOT GAY, but if I was" list is all Iย want.

I'm so out the MMA loop these days that I forgot this was on until my brother (who is the most casual of fans - hasn't talked about MMA since Khabib v Conor) mentioned it. I'm in Berlin until Monday too, so I doubt I'll avoid spoilers.

That main event is something else, though. I had Masvidal winning comfortably, but then David had to pop up and give some sense to it all. At the very least we're getting an exciting fight.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, David said:

Based on how cool Masvidal is with the media?

based on the form going in and the sheer confidence he'll be fighting with. Very few fighters have outstruck Masvidal and i think he's one of the few guys who may counters Diaz' high volume approach with some real damaging shots.

Edited by Egg Shen

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Very few fighters have outstruck Masvidal and i think he's one of the few guys who may counters Diaz' high volume approach with some real damaging shots.

Stephen Thompson outstruck him. So did Al Iaquinta if memory serves me right. Masvidal is riding the wave of a mega hype train due to his quick finish of Askren and putting Till on the floor, but looking back at his body of work (pre-long hair era) he was a guy, like Nate, who could quite easily be figured out and beaten. Usually by decision.

Just to add more intrigue to the event, it seems Kelvin Gastelum is in hot water with the NYSAC for looking like he leaned on his coach while being weighed, just like DC did with his towel a while back.

The fight goes ahead regardless, but he could face a fine it seems.