UFC 244: Masvidal vs Diaz - Nov 2 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Arlovski would have been released years ago if he fought in any other division. He's lost 11 out of his last 14 fights in the UFC. 

I personally lost interest in his career after he lost to Ngannou in 2017, but truth be told, he was past-it long before that fight. He's been a journeyman since his Strikeforce days, where he went 0-3 with the promotion. His winning streak from 2014 onward was smoke and mirrors. He was very lucky the judges gave him the nod against Schaub and his fight with Mir was the drizzling shits. 

Another 6 years for him? Christ.

Jesus Jim, what you got against The Pitbull? You hate that Universal Soldier movie or something?

I remember on here when he went on that tear that we were all commending him for turning things around, but now with hindsight it was all bullshit? I ain't buying that. He came back from the MMA dead and managed to put together a run that, like it or not, was unlikely and decent enough. He was close to another title shot at one point, which we can put down to the shallow talent pool or whatever, but that's still something considering where he was a few years before. Give the dude credit where it's due if you're gonna beat him down where it isn't.

That run was four years ago though, and despite his insistence that he wants to keep fighting there's a good chance it won't be with the UFC. Saying that, he has this habit of nabbing a win just when he needs one. He was due for his release if he lost to Albini in November 2017 but gets the win to live another day. Beats Struve then drops four (one is declared a no-contest, but still) only to grab a win against Rothwell. He's got maybe two fights to turn this around again, and if he loses both I think he'll be done. 

He'll likely win one of them though and keep that Pitbull train running along the rails, much to Jim's dismay!

12 hours ago, David said:

Jesus Jim, what you got against The Pitbull? You hate that Universal Soldier movie or something?

I was a fanboy of his for years.

I like the guy. 

I remember on here when he went on that tear that we were all commending him for turning things around, but now with hindsight it was all bullshit? I ain't buying that. He came back from the MMA dead and managed to put together a run that, like it or not, was unlikely and decent enough. He was close to another title shot at one point, which we can put down to the shallow talent pool or whatever, but that's still something considering where he was a few years before. Give the dude credit where it's due if you're gonna beat him down where it isn't.

Not me.

I maintained throughout that period that while I was happy he was winning, it was all a bit smoke and mirrors. The Browne win was great, but the rest of his performances were nothing special. Big Foot was a shell of his former self, for example.  

He'll likely win one of them though and keep that Pitbull train running along the rails, much to Jim's dismay!

Hardly. 

Edited by jimufctna24

I was there live for Mir vs Arlovski! 😣

I loved this event. I thought the bad motherfucker match getting stopped for a cut was a delicious irony. That New York commission eh? 

Masvidal looked incredible out there. He should sack off the rematch though and go after the McGregor money now. He won't get any hotter than he is right now.

Really enjoyed seeing Kevin Lee, Wonderboy and Darren Till all get back on track with good wins. I fancied them all to lose as well. Wonderboy in particular looked fantastic and really took it to Luque in a way we haven't seen him do in a while. Lee's KO of Gillespie was one of the best this year. I pretty much enjoyed every fight on the card. 

Ive read online that as a downside the two main eventers got 500k a peice. Is this correct? I know theyl be add ons etc.... but how do UFC fighters who are not Brock, Mcgregor or the other of handfull of names get paid so little?

Theres rumours of Kovolev for his fight against Canelo getting paid anything between 10 and 20 million dollars, realistically somewhere around lower teens. And he is the B side. 

Even the spread of purses amongst the UFC card on Saturday looked small. Where does all the money go? 

Is this roughly correct? 

Jorge Masvidal: $500,000 def. Nate Diaz: $500,000
Darren Till: $240,000 (includes $120,000 win bonus) def. Kelvin Gastelum: $165,000
Stephen Thompson: $290,000 (includes $120,000 win bonus and $50,000 'Fight of the Night' bonus) def. Vicente Luque: $97,000 (includes $50,000 'Fight of the Night' bonus)

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

Johnny Walker is not pleased with Dan Hardy. Something of nothing really but Hardy was telling a story that Walker was taunting Corey Anderson backstage before their fight. Walker took to Instagram to give his side. 

Corey Anderson has since confirmed that the story is bollocks and Walker didn’t do anything of the sort. It was a fan apparently. No big deal but a bit shitty of Hardy that. I’d have expected it of someone like Rogan but thought Hardy would’ve checked the story was true before blabbing it in front of the cameras. 

What do we reckon is next for Walker? While it’s crap that he’s been taken out of the title picture, especially by Corey Bastard Anderson, there are still some fun fights to be made with the likes of Ion Cutelaba, Shogun, OSP, Glover Teixeira, Nikita Krylov etc. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, he's taken the whole "they delayed the boxing for his UFC fight" thing and decided to try and run with it. Fair play to him, you can't blame a guy for trying.

Absolutely not. I've got no time for him and his Poundland Pacino gimmick, but you see paydays of the kind McGregor gets, and you're going to want a slice of that. Especially when you know you're not actually that good, but your marketability is probably at its peak, and it's best to cash in before it all comes tumbling down. 

• Paid Members

Not blaming him. He’d make more money getting battered by Canelo than he would for his entire MMA career combined. Just getting sick of the MMA vs Boxing thing myself. 

The only crossover that interests me at the moment is this talk of Tyson Fury doing MMA. Nothing will probably come of it but it’d be cool seeing a high profile boxer, in his prime, in the Octagon. Imagine Fury vs Ngannou in the UFC? It makes no sense but I want to see it. Not at the expense of Fury vs Wilder 2 but I’d be down with it somewhere down the line. 

18 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Absolutely not. I've got no time for him and his Poundland Pacino gimmick, but you see paydays of the kind McGregor gets, and you're going to want a slice of that.

I actually think he's one of the more genuine characters in the game. Has he ramped his persona up to full blast? Yeah, but it's not like he's an Irishman pretending to be a Colombian gangster. He's a Cuban-American from Miami, who spent his early years living in the very environment that Pacino's character was supposed to be from, throwing hands with dudes in backyard bare-knuckle events. He's the real deal in that regard.

He's just gotten wise to how the game is played, so he's grown his hair and beard out, and he's running with what he's got. It's like the old Stone Cold Steve Austin reference. You take what you have, your background, your personality, and you ramp it up.

He's one of the few who doesn't have a gimmick in my opinion. 

23 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Especially when you know you're not actually that good, but your marketability is probably at its peak, and it's best to cash in before it all comes tumbling down.

Is he not that good though? I was surprised at how easily he took Nate apart. I was also surprised at how he stopped Till, and I was astounded that he did what no one had been able to do previously by beating Askren.

A good wrestler is likely to be his Kryptonite, but he's definitely come into his prime in recent years, and I certainly wouldn't count him out against Usman or Covington. If either of those guys spends too long on the feet with him they're getting dropped in my opinion, so their wrestling game had better be on point.

I guess for some guys they just finally put it all together at some point, and it seems he's done that. I also don't think it will come tumbling down, even if he loses against whoever wins the title fight. He's a legit star in the sport now, he's not going away if he loses that title fight. In fact, it could be said that in that division he's bigger than the title now. He's the man to beat, not the current champ or Covington.