UFC 244: Masvidal vs Diaz - Nov 2 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Outside of wearing white suit though what exactly has Masvidal done that warrants cringe level status? It aint like he walks around spouting Scarface catchphrases and waving a toy gun, he just wore an iconic suit to a press conference.

It’s more than a one off. 

42071-FBE-295-D-46-DC-A15-B-6281962-F0-E

DE4-E499-A-FEAC-4-B91-B5-A5-144337-B3-BE

Plus he walks out to the Scarface theme. He wants to be Tony Montana so bad he’s probably about to deliberately get himself popped for cocaine. 

Deserved or not, I thought he came off as a twat in the Leon Edwards round of handbags. And saying stuff like he wanted Askren to die and was disappointed he was only able to get a couple of extra shots off on him after he knocked him out because he wanted to end him properly or something. Again, Askren talked a bunch of shit so a bit of post-fight gloating from Jorge was fair game. That kind of talk is too much though. Whoever does it.

9619F0A5-2A6D-44D6-851E-A7825838CAFD.gif

Thought that was a bit of a dick move as well. I didn’t lose any sleep over it (Askren definitely had a good, deep sleep) but just thought it was twattish. If other fighters did that they’d have got a load of backlash. 

And I’ve just found him annoying for years. I don’t have to justify it. I can still give him his due for the year he’s had but I don’t particularly like him either. If the McGregor fight somehow came off I’d be cheering him on big time though. 

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

Masvidal goes Scarface-gimmick here, no one gave a toss 2 years ago. 

That’s because no-one have a toss 2 years ago. For or against him. Now he’s had this mad year, of course the reactions to him, positive and negative, will be amplified. I always said I didn’t like him and that I found his obsession with Scarface a bit cringe/odd for a grown man. It’s finally working for him combined with the long hair and, most importantly, the big wins, so more power to him. I still, and probably always will, find him a bit of a nob though. But at least he’s the Baddest Motherfucking Nob. 

4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Again: I'm not saying he's not legit. I'm saying his act is cringeworthy. Diaz is also legit, but he doesn't come across as cringeworthy (although a bit annoying). He comes across as overdone. Not sure else how to put it.

I still don't understand why you think it's "an act." Look at video footage of him from throughout his career. He's always been the same. Ebb posted a video above. He's acted and spoken like that since his bareknuckle days. It's how people from his background in that part of the US talk and act apparently. 

Do you think he goes behind closed doors and speaks differently? Now, you can be put off by how he is, that you don't like him, but you have to realise that that is how he is. It's not a "gimmick" or an act. He's not performing. 

I find it insane that an Irishman can dress in the same garb as a Mexican drug lord and everyone thinks it's the mutts nutts at the time, yet a guy taps into a famous character from a movie that portrayed someone exactly like him, down to his heritage and where he is from, and that's considered cringeworthy.

In fact, if anything it was Pacino who had the gimmick! Masvidal is a modern version of the tough Miami kid that Pacino was pretending to be.

He shouldn't have to do that, but the truth is unless you have something "cool" about you, you're not going to get much traction. If he had fought this year without the long hair, the beard, the Scarface props and being really respectful to opponents he'd be nowhere near as popular.

Same with Nate Diaz. If he was as toned down as his brother he'd likely not be the draw he is.

• Paid Members

@Egg Shen I don’t hate him. He’s not Frank Mir. Just find him a bit of a div. And it’s not helping that everyone’s suddenly on his dick now either and all talking like they’re in Goodfellas when really they’re called Clive, have never been near a girl (probably restraining orders in place) and never leave their parents house. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Just now, wandshogun09 said:

@Egg Shen I don’t hate him. He’s not Frank Mir. Just find him a bit of a div. And it’s not helping that everyone’s suddenly on his dick now either and all talking like they’re in Goodfellas when really they’re called Clive, have never been near a girl (probably retraining orders in place) and never leave their parents house. 

You slag off Masvidal yet you think it's fine to stalk me and post my personal circumstances online? Who's the div now, eh? Eh?!?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, David said:

I still don't understand why you think it's "an act." Look at video footage of him from throughout his career. He's always been the same. Ebb posted a video above. He's acted and spoken like that since his bareknuckle days. It's how people from his background in that part of the US talk and act apparently. 

Do you think he goes behind closed doors and speaks differently? Now, you can be put off by how he is, that you don't like him, but you have to realise that that is how he is. It's not a "gimmick" or an act. He's not performing. 

You said it yourself: he's ramped it up to eleven. Maybe he's just been quiet about it, but I don't remember him being this level.

I find it insane that an Irishman can dress in the same garb as a Mexican drug lord and everyone thinks it's the mutts nutts at the time, yet a guy taps into a famous character from a movie that portrayed someone exactly like him, down to his heritage and where he is from, and that's considered cringeworthy.

We're not talking about "everyone", we're talking about my tastes, and I consider McG to be cringeworthy. The only thing that stopped it coming through straight away was that he was humorous at times.

I also find it insane that you pretty much hated McG before all the shit came out about him, ripped on anyone who did like him, but like Masvidal for the same thing. McG was a cringey cockend, Masvidal's a cringey cockend. Nothing wrong with liking one over the other, but given how vocal you've been over the years, I think your defence of him is a bit hollow.

In fact, if anything it was Pacino who had the gimmick! Masvidal is a modern version of the tough Miami kid that Pacino was pretending to be.

Yeh, and I'm saying he comes across as hammy. He's actually belying his legit nature by being so cringey.

He shouldn't have to do that, but the truth is unless you have something "cool" about you, you're not going to get much traction. If he had fought this year without the long hair, the beard, the Scarface props and being really respectful to opponents he'd be nowhere near as popular.

Same with Nate Diaz. If he was as toned down as his brother he'd likely not be the draw he is.

I do get that. If you remember, I've regularly agreed with you that it's a bit of a shitty thing that people are such magpies and can't appreciate fighters just for their ability. He shouldn't have to do it. And fair play to him for cashing in on it now that he's got some momentum going. 

The Diaz Bros. are a bit of a different case for me, though. I don't find them annoying because of how they act, it's more the demands for big fights when they haven't earned them (and also that bollocks about how you're a pussy if you go to the ground - if you're that pissy about it, go do kickboxing instead).

I'm not even sure if Masvidal is a top 5 welterweight. Would I pick him to beat the likes of Usman, Covington, Lima, Wonderboy, or Woodley? Probably not. I can imagine he would beat one of those fighters, maybe even two of them, but I think he'd lose more than he would win. Wonderboy seemingly had his number a few years back and I don't think he could keep up with Usman and Covington for 5 full rounds. 

However, I have little issue with his recent popularity. The BMF stuff did little for me personally, but the UFC produced it well and it was ultimately inoffensive. It didn't make me want to turn off MMA like some of Covington's antics do. 

5 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I also find it insane that you pretty much hated McG before all the shit came out about him, ripped on anyone who did like him, but like Masvidal for the same thing. McG was a cringey cockend, Masvidal's a cringey cockend. Nothing wrong with liking one over the other, but given how vocal you've been over the years, I think your defence of him is a bit hollow.

I'm not particularly a fan of how he acts, I was just saying that I don't think it's a gimmick. He talks and acts exactly how a so-called gangster from that part of Florida would talk and act. I have no doubt if he wasn't a successful MMA fighter that he'd likely have done time in prison for something or other by this point, and would be a shady dude. He's not a nice guy by any accounts. Good fighter, but I wouldn't want to have him round my house for tea and a chat.

McG was just "fake rich guy by numbers," nothing about him was really all that genuine. He was looking for a persona that fit with how he wanted to be seen, rather than the other way around. He's not a shady guy who ran with drug lords in Ireland before he got to the UFC. There's a big difference there for me.

Masvidal acting how he has been is more like John Gotti amping up the mafia schtick for the media. He was ramping it up a bit, but there's no doubt it was who he really was underneath it all.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, David said:

He's not a nice guy by any accounts.

what makes you say that? genuine question. Outside of a few spats with fellow fighters i dont think theres any evidence that suggest hes a bad guy.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

what makes you say that? genuine question. Outside of a few spats with fellow fighters i dont think theres any evidence that suggest hes a bad guy.

tenor.gif

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, David said:

I have no doubt if he wasn't a successful MMA fighter that he'd likely have done time in prison for something or other by this point, and would be a shady dude. He's not a nice guy by any accounts. 

I think he has been to jail before. I could swear Helwani’s asked him about it before but he didn’t go into details. And his old man did about 20 years for manslaughter and drug trafficking. Lovely family, the Masvidals. Anyone would be pleased to see them moving in next door. 

5CAA3515-7890-4FCD-B3C5-ED7BCB7340D2.jpeg