Talking Pictures is the greatest TV channel in history.

PowerButchi

• Moderators

I can't think of many channels where I'll always check what's one but Talking Pictures is the main one. Theres always at least one decent thing on it a day.

Earlier Hell Drivers was on, one of the favourite films of all time. Now and again they show wonderful shorts like Teaching GIs how to act in the UK with Burgess Meredith (Although Wales' capital at the time wasn't Aberystwyth as claimed but Caernarfon) and a wonderful short about the trains sending the post in the 30s. It's very heavy on some of the very greatest British Cinema ever. 

Evwn better its run from a garden shed by a film enthusiast who did a deal with the BFI and even more so buying rights for films off the BBC for old films they thought no-one would watch. They were dead wrong. It's one of the most watching stations in the country now. Huge figures considering. I like to think it's D Mal. Also they have the best knowledge of their market ever. Most channels show teleshopping from 3 to 7, they knew their elderly watchers are all up before sparrow fart so fucked off teleshopping and made a killing. Its just a wonderful channel. 

Charade is on at 3:45am for example. Proper cinema. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

It's a great channel, and their film selection is getting better and better too. Watched The Long and the Short and the Tall on it the other day. Brilliant old war film.

I pretty much only watch Talking Pictures, TCM and Film4 these days if I do watch TV. They're the only channels that cater for actual old films but there's still a huge shortfall for old TV programming. At least Talking Pictures is trying to cover that. They've been a wonderful success story and hopefully they'll influence other broadcasters to follow suit.

I watch Talking Pictures every night now. Such quality scripts and dialogue, and I find black & white is much easier on the eye. Also b&w has positive emotional and psychological benefits. Studies have shown that compared to watching colour tv the group that watched b&w suffered less stress, with lowered blood pressure and heart rates.

There's some absolute dirge on it and the adverts are low rent con jobs but the channel is decent overall. 

My grandad is very fond of it and it has done wonders for his memory since he's started watching the channel. I've heard more stories and tales about his past thanks to some of programming on there than I have in a long time. 

The only downside to it is that he asks me to look up people from films/shows and I have to tell him they're dead. 

Selfishly I'd love to see it somehow get an HD license.  I think it's a great channel but I struggle to watch SD films nowadays on my big tv, and TalkingPictures generally has a particularly bad picture.

Hell Drivers is such a great film!    We've talked about this before, but Stanley Baker is a fantastic film star, I'm surprised he didn't get snapped up by Hollywood.  Fuck cancer, man, he died in his 40s.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Loki said:

I struggle to watch SD films nowadays on my big tv

cary elwes life is pain GIF

It wasn't in any way unreasonable, but I loved how first-world a sentence that was.

Talking Pictures is great. They do occasional film festivals in Stockport that I keep meaning to check out under the guise of visiting my nan. They've recently added the utterly wonderful The Day The Earth Caught Fire to their schedule, which is one of Britain's greatest and most under-seen SF films.

• 8 months later...
  • Paid Members

Hoffman

Catch this if you see it in the schedules. It's a rare Peter Sellers dramatic performance in what's basically a two-hander play with Sinead Cusack, where he blackmails her in to spending a week with him. Sellers is brilliant and while it has its flaws, it's engrossing throughout.

There's a film called The Birthday Present on tonight which is a real rarity and a really good film. Great cast too - Tony Britton, Sylvia Sims (<3), Geoffrey Keen, Ian Bannen and Walter Fitzgerald. Worth catching.

I watched Daybreak (1948) with my Grandad recently and it was wonderfully cheesy and grim at the same time. The ending 15 minutes was a bit wild for a film of this time.

Reading up on it, it was made in 1946 but had problems and wouldn't pass the censors. The three main cast members (Ann Todd, Eric Portman and Maxwell Reed.) didn't get along, many scenes were reshot and six minutes of the film were cut to finally get it past the censors.

If you can't catch it on the telly, watch it here:

They showed Hard Times (1975) with Charles Bronson last night.  I literally only found out a matter of minutes before it started otherwise I would've posted in this thread.  Ever since someone (I forget who) mentioned Talking Pictures aired 'The Driver' a few weeks back I've been trying to keep more of an eye on the schedule hoping that they'll repeat it.

I went on a Walter Hill trip a few months back and this, along with The Driver, were the two films that I couldn't source.  Charles Bronson plays a drifter called Chaney who ends up aligning himself with gambler/hustler Speed, played by James Coburn, who becomes his promoter in organizing bare knuckle street fights.  I won't say any more on the plot as to avoid spoilers but this was a fantastic film, while the two main leads were tremendous, as was Strother Martin and like a lot of Walter Hill films there is a quality soundtrack.  Absolutely worth watching next time it gets an airing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Had a quick swatch of the TPTV schedule for this week. As mentioned in the Horror thread, a bit annoyed I missed Quatermass and the Pit. I see, however, on Saturday, there's a film called Child's Play (1972) directed by Sidney Lumet. I don't know this one, but the fact it's Lumet means I'm tempted to watch. @Devon Malcolm Do you know if it's any good?