MMA/Boxing Documentaries

wandshogun09

On 5/23/2021 at 7:54 PM, Kamaras-Tash said:

Watched the new Bisping documentary last night and it's well worth a watch, touches upon stuff most of us would know already but I love the guy so could listen to him for hours. I never knew he only had 1 eye for so long though, I remember seeing that clip posted on here of him popping out his eye but though it was more of a recent thing

The BT one?

• Paid Members

So it doesn’t get forgotten on the last page.

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

wee reminder, this premieres tomorrow! (in America anyway):

20210605_141654.thumb.jpg.055e32ced9e03254f955a11af0021d6f.jpg

Really looking forward to this. Hopefully it gets picked up here somewhere. I’ll find it if it doesn’t but it deserves to be on TV really. I’m hoping BT get it. They show a lot of those 30 for 30s and different documentaries so it’d make sense. 

15 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Hopefully it gets picked up here somewhere. I’ll find it if it doesn’t but it deserves to be on TV really

The Wu Tang Showtime documentary was picked up by Prime, but it did take quite a while to appear on there, and I'm sure a few Showtime shows have popped up on the iplayer recently but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Really looking forward to this, so will be looking in all the usual places for it tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Parts 3 and 4 of The Kings here 

Have skimmed through it and it's of a very good quality, but obviously want to watch them all in order so if anyone comes across 1 and 2 before me, then please pop it in here!

https://www4.watchserieshd.tv/series/the-kings-season-12021-episode-1

https://www4.watchserieshd.tv/series/the-kings-season-12021-episode-2

I just typed the episode numbers into the address you supplied. It's a little trick that sometimes works. 

Thanks for the link. That's my afternoon sorted! 

• Paid Members

Sweet. I did see this earlier from the director of the doc.

My guess is it’ll end up on BT Sport over the next few weeks but I’ll be all over them links if I get time later. Cheers Bacon and Jim.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
5 hours ago, SBD said:

Any chance anyone grabbed The Kings at all? I know the makers keep getting asked about a UK release but it does not seem like it's happening anytime soon

Yeah I’ve been checking as well. That Mat Whitecross guy just kept saying ‘not yet but watch this space’ when asked about it being shown in the UK. But we’ve been watching this space for about a month now and fuck all. I was gonna use those links above but got a bunch of pop-ups, on about VPNs and all that bollocks, and I couldn’t be arsed. 

You've all read Four Kings right? Pretty sure someone off UKFF recommended it to me in the first place. It's a fucking brilliant book, and will keep you going until we get this documentary. 

Who is everyone's favourite? Roberto Duran for me, although he comes off worse in the head to heads. He was just a bit older and lighter than the other three. Having said that I love Hearns and Hagler. Such a magnificent era for boxing, I was lucky to live through it. 

• Paid Members

Yeah Four Kings is a great book. Really goes into not just the series of fights themselves, but each man’s background and career as well. I’ve read it a couple of times but not for a good few years now. One of the best Boxing books there is though. Anyone looking for a good read could do worse than these as well if you can still find them;

75-A68-A95-5149-40-E4-A8-C2-34-FFCB313-F

CD06-B578-DB32-45-E5-9896-BD5-CF483-C54-

64-B1-B488-5-D7-D-4581-80-B4-DF8-E695-DA

900-C3-CA7-9-A5-C-46-E4-BA1-B-DC3392496-

I’m sure there’s a few really obvious ones I’m neglecting to mention here but my Boxing books are all in the spare room and I can’t be arsed to go and look. These lot along with Four Kings are amazing though.

23 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Who is everyone's favourite? Roberto Duran for me, although he comes off worse in the head to heads. He was just a bit older and lighter than the other three. Having said that I love Hearns and Hagler. Such a magnificent era for boxing, I was lucky to live through it. 

For me it goes;

1) Hagler 

2) Duran 

3) Hearns 

4) Leonard 

I’m a fan of them all and usually a Hearns would be near the top of any list for me but Hagler and Duran are two of my absolute all time favourites along with Arturo Gatti and Nigel Benn.

On your last line there, I missed all of the Four Kings era in real time. I was a few months off being born when Hagler and Hearns went to war in April 1985. And when the last fight of the series took place, Leonard vs Duran 3 in December 1989, I was too young to be watching or understanding much of anything that wasn’t the Turtles or Count Duckula. I went back to it all when I got older and fell in love with that era of Boxing, but it’s never the same. It’s probably the only example where I actually wish I was older. I was about 18 when Gatti and Ward were knocking seven shades out of each other and deep into Boxing by then. That was a magical trilogy but, as much as I love it and as great as those actual fights were, they pale in comparison to the epics during the Four Kings run when you also factor in the significance of some of those fights and the level those guys were operating on.

But yeah, Hagler’s my man out of the four. Destruct and Destroy. 

11C5E15A-9D3E-45AC-BD57-50EF4EF2AC10.gif

McIlvanney on Boxing is my favourite boxing book. Its Britains greatest ever sports writer covering some of the biggest fights of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. Easy to drop in and out of as each chapter is covering a different fight. My copy is practically falling apart I've read and reread the thing so many times. Its my toilet book of choice and led to many a frozen arse because I've been sat on the throne too long.

The Four Kings. Sugar Ray was not the most likeable of them but he was easily the best of them.

• Paid Members

In some weird coincidence I started watching the  Kings doc series last night. I'm very much the casualist of casual boxing fans so much of the story is new to me outside of the major moments which I've read about previously. This doc series is pretty fucking great though. It weaves the pieces together nicely and paints a great story. I was hooked. Hoping to finish it off tonight. Thoroughly recommended. Felt very much like a 30 for 30 piece. They do an amazing job putting this stuff together. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• 2 weeks later...