MMA/Boxing Documentaries

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Don’t think we have a thread for this, do we? Title is self explanatory. Thought we could use this thread to share info on any upcoming docs and also talk about old ones. And of course, feel free to link to videos if you can find them. Thought I’d include Boxing as well so they don’t just get lost in the massive Boxing thread. 

Anyway, this is what triggered this topic. ESPN are doing a special E:60 documentary on Daniel Cormier. There’s a few little preview clips out already and it looks amazing. Helwani tweeted this...

And this bit was tough to watch; 

Hopefully we’ll get it shown in some form, somewhere. 

Best MMA documentaries I have seen:

- Smashing Machine: HBO documentary that covers the rise and fall of Mark Kerr. 

- Like Water: 2011 documentary that covers Anderson's Silva's career. In particular, the build-up to the first fight with Sonnen.

- Pride Fighting Decade: Covers the 10-year history of Pride FC. Essential viewing for new fans of the sport. 

Also, while not MMA, there is a fantastic documentary about K1 kickboxing out there. I used to own it on DVD, but seem to have misplaced it. It covers Andy Hug's career and how K1 evolved throughout the 1990s. I wouldn't mind watching it again. I would be very grateful if anyone can remember the name of it. 

Just now, jimufctna24 said:

Also, while not MMA, there is a fantastic documentary about K1 kickboxing out there. I used to own it on DVD, but seem to have misplaced it. It covers Andy Hug's career and how K1 evolved throughout the 1990s. I wouldn't mind watching it again. I would be very grateful if anyone can remember the name of it. 

Andy Hug: Samurai Spirit Forever

Don't know if that's the one you mean but that's the only one I can think of.  I've still got a copy myself from my trading days.

'Driven' by Jens Pulver was another that I remember enjoying (to go with all three of Jim's recommendations).

14 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Andy Hug: Samurai Spirit Forever

Don't know if that's the one you mean but that's the only one I can think of.  I've still got a copy myself from my trading days.

Sadly, I don't think that is the one I was thinking of. 

Thanks though. I'm quite interested in Hug. So I will probably watch that documentary at some point. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Back when I was living in Japan in the summer of '98, Andy Hug was a massive name over there; it really was crazy how popular he was. No exaggeration, he was almost a household name, like the Japanese Grado. I even met some middle-aged and elderly Japanese who knew about him and liked him. 

Next time I ever saw anything like that was a few years later: Bob Sapp. Like Hug, he'd shown a bit of personality on Japanese TV, as well as his fighting spirit in the ring, and people just liked him.

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Great stuff. Probably my favourite series in Boxing history. I got a DVD on the subject years ago, this one;

D6459-D39-E6-B8-4-B8-C-930-C-819-EE47-AF

I thought it’d be a documentary but it was just highlights of all the fights with a narrator talking over it. An enjoyable enough watch but I always felt like it’s a period in Boxing history that deserves to be delved into more. The fights between these four are mostly great (with the odd exception) and some have had the documentary treatment before (Legendary Nights and that No Mas one ESPN did) but a big documentary series on the whole series should be class. Especially with how docs are done these days. The fights themselves are interesting enough but there’s also enough about each of the four men’s individual stories that should provide plenty of depth to it. Should be a gripping watch if they get it right. Especially fresh off Marvin Hagler’s passing. I hope they dive into Tommy Hearns life and career more as well. Seems like his story has been told the least of the four. Looking forward to it. 

3730598D-B3DB-4451-A235-7887A9AE2E03.gif

• 1 month later...

Watched the new Bisping documentary last night and it's well worth a watch, touches upon stuff most of us would know already but I love the guy so could listen to him for hours. I never knew he only had 1 eye for so long though, I remember seeing that clip posted on here of him popping out his eye but though it was more of a recent thing

• 2 weeks later...