Best crisps?

TheToeSucker

• Paid Members

Bret's again, new flavour. Not bad - very flavoursome, can definitely taste the blue cheese sharpness at the end, though the pancetta is possibly too subtle. Not quite as good as the Tartiflette, or goat's cheese with Espelette chilli flavours, but still good. Bret's don't really do mediocre, it seems.

20240717_195725.jpg

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Anyone got into any of these yet?

20240717_103401.thumb.jpg.6803e947a7cefbcf5693a3c2581b1752.jpg

Managed to snag the Cheese Toastie and BBQ Sauce ones today off the back of this. Flavour-wise they're fine, I guess, not bad but not particularly strong either. But it seems like these are using a new chickpea-based recipe for the crisp and it makes them significantly denser and less enjoyable of a bite. Nice to offer some lower-calorie options but if I'm going for a bag of crisps I know what I'm doing for myself and I'd rather it was satisfactory.

• Members
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Jesse said:

if I'm going for a bag of crisps

Hi mate, I see you've made a typo here and missed off an "s" on bag. Easy mistake to make :)

I'm on a bit of a diet, and haven't really been to anywhere that sells decent or new crisps, so just reliant on the local Spar so still on a massive pack of Roast Beef Monster Munch or Pickled Onion Space Raiders a day.

I did have a big bag of Walkers Sensations Mature Cheddar and Chilli Chutney the other day. Can't remember if I've had them before but I thought they were brilliant. 8/10

Edited by SuperBacon
Boldy James

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, davertfnewman said:

The BBQ sauce Monster Munch were vile when I tried them.

Confirmed, they're fucking horrid. After buying I realised they are chickpea based, maybe that's the issue. Bin.

• Paid Members

I always preferred Asda's Beastie Bites to Monster Munch. 

We've got a huge bag of ketchup flavoured Cheetohs in the car for if we need a snack on the road. They're pretty tasty. 

Torres - Pickle flavour

1000_tor386.png

I generally like Torres crisps - and I know they've come up in the thread before (perhaps this very flavour has, I don't know) - but give me pickled onion monster munch over these any day. The pickle taste is very light, and there's a slight hint of dill there too (I hate dill - in the unlikely event I ever become Prime Minister my first act will be to ban the damn thing) - and more than anything else, the taste that comes through is the admittedly pleasant taste of the crisp. 4/10. 

Fairfield's Farm - Roast Rib of Beef

FFC-WEB-Roast-Rib-of-Beef-J22-40g.jpg

Combine this with he Torres crisp, and you're on to a winner. As it stands, I'm undecided. The flavour is nice - but the crisp is that little bit too thick - closer to what you'd get with Walkers than the lighter, thinner chip you normally get with premium brand crisps. It's decent, but probably not something I'd seek out again. 6/10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Some I've had recently. 

Spanish Tomato Tango Lays

From India I believe. Really nice, good flavour but a right pain in the arse to get open. As you can see in the end I had to cut across the packet. 7/10

20240727_203404.thumb.jpg.fe6f1d8d225112257a6c5f1182bb4afe.jpg

Current Hot n Spicy Sticks

From the same shop (Nirmala Foods in Winchester) that sell a great range. These are Nepalese I think and they do not mess about. Pure lovely spice and far better than any Cheetos I've had. 9/10

20240728_195608.thumb.jpg.f1eb8a8aab08e764bfe70c007b18e095.jpg

Sour Cream & Herbs Wavy Lays

Quality. One of the nicest crisps I've had in a long while, and from the best shop in all of Southampton, which to be honest as a city is incredibly well catered to for anything from Europe and beyond.

Excellent coating on these. 9/10

20240801_184153.thumb.jpg.f6c8164e26ec2e82ce8ddbb924b052b2.jpg

Seabrook Loaded Nacho Chips Chilli Beef

Not happy about calling them "chips" from a British company ??? but whatever. Decent, but nothing special. From B&M 6/10

20240801_184146.thumb.jpg.0eb510dbebfd3f1a1c5c658420761831.jpg

Crunchips X-Cut Chakalaka 

You all know me. I love my crisps and I'm also quite dramatic, but believe me when I say these are one of the best crisps I've ever had. Like a sweeter, tangier Worcester Sauce flavour and I'm going to have to stock up next time. If you see them, buy them. 10/10

20240813_184700.thumb.jpg.b79125ce5b08e57bf346629cfe651c09.jpg

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I don't know what "Chakalaka Smak Afryki" means but I'm getting weirdly racist vibes, you like racist crisps! I'm gonna look for some this week.

We've actually had this discussion early in the thread. Think air_raid had them - seems it is a real flavour, so it's not racist.

In the meantime, had these:

lays-crab-and-spicy-chicken.jpg

The Crab one was interesting - not bad, and it did taste like crab, but as I suspected, it was a little light in flavour, which is only to be expected with something like crab. Basically not a bad try, but it's the crisp flavour that nobody really asked for or needs.

The Spicy Chicken one was lovely - sort of a cross between Roast Chicken flavour and Peri-Peri flavour. Very moreish.

On 7/25/2024 at 3:55 PM, RedTwoster said:

Fairfield's Farm - Roast Rib of Beef

FFC-WEB-Roast-Rib-of-Beef-J22-40g.jpg

Combine this with he Torres crisp, and you're on to a winner. As it stands, I'm undecided. The flavour is nice - but the crisp is that little bit too thick - closer to what you'd get with Walkers than the lighter, thinner chip you normally get with premium brand crisps. It's decent, but probably not something I'd seek out again. 6/10.

Now you see I can't disagree more. Fairfields crisps are absolutely delicious and the fact they are a proper family run farm and firm makes it just that little bit better. For context the daughter of the family who does their marketing stuff donated a box of crisps for the Air Cadet raffle (did I ever mention that on here?) And a few weeks afterwards me and the family went to the Suffolk Show and they had a stall there. I happened to mention to the lady there that I felt obligated to buy something from them as they'd helped us out. She asked who I was from and I mentioned the cadets and she was like 'oh wow, I was the one that processed that and chatted online with you about it. Great to put a face to a name'. Much better when you meet the people behind these smaller firms and realise they work their butt's off to earn a crust rather than just operate machines in a big factory and couldn't care less what comes out the other end.

Should add their prawn cocktail flavoured ones are amazing! 

• Paid Members

We’ve now landed in the world of proper crisps. Not to be confused with the poor imitation you get in B&M.

image.thumb.jpg.31ccfde641a138ab6df20b758bfd5cf5.jpg