Odd bits and pieces that you miss in wrestling

Kfogg1991

I'm watching some old cruiserweight stuff on the network and I saw something that no one really does anymore that at one point everyone did (including myself back on the day on shows) 

Every young highflyer back In the day almost garentueed everytime you saw them make there entrance they would do the corner "make some noise X-TOWN" then back flip out to the middle of the ring showing everyone both in attendance and watching at home that you are definitely going to be delivering some flips and shit.

What little odd bits do you miss 

1 minute ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Unique sets from WWE PPV's

This is another one that I really do miss but is so small if you think about it.

being excited to come down Monday morning and watch last night's ppv and see what the titantron looks like. Early 2000s really were something else 

Cameras in ring during promos. They do it every now and again, Goldberg normally gets this treatment, but it just creates way more of a connection with a home audience than some bloke shouting at the hard cam. Also less shit for live audiences as wrestlers can actually turn to face all sides of the ring and actually involve them.

Also back in the early years when we started to get the raw and smackdown tv tapings, getting up and trying to get great seats and genuinely feeling like it will sell out so you have to get them and get them fast (the excitement when you find out what seats you got and how close you are ect) 

Now alot of people just either don't bother or get tickets the week or so before.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Cameras in ring during promos. They do it every now and again, Goldberg normally gets this treatment, but it just creates way more of a connection with a home audience than some bloke shouting at the hard cam. Also less shit for live audiences as wrestlers can actually turn to face all sides of the ring and actually involve them.

I'd expand that great point to include generally making the cameras a part of the event rather than trying to pretend they don't exist.

WCW, in their heyday, would end matches with a slow mo of the winner's entrance. I've always missed that little but beautiful touch.

Last one for now I pinky promise.... stunts and actual holy shit I'm so glad I watched this moments.....like Shane taking that horrific bump at sumerslam against blackman, jbl vs Eddie in the barbwire cage match/randy vs foley at backlash 

I don't want to hate wwe but as you grow older you try and watch the current product and I just feel like I'm being fed such a watered down boring helping of paint by numbers shows and matches with nothing that makes you think I have to see this this won't happen again 

WWE commentary and promo's that didn't make me want to pour boiling hot piss into my ears.

Match structures not reliant on endless near falls.

Babyface pushes where the fans aren't concerned about who is or isn't BEING HELD DOWN BY THE POWERS THAT BE.

The old Backlash set (think Backlash 2000)

Shows in MSG with the short aisle like Survivor Series 96.

Ramps that join onto the ring that early 90s WCW, ECW etc.

Everyone is so obsessed with jumping over or through the ropes that you never see an Asai Moonsault these days. Loved that move. 

Ref bumps also rarely happen now and I get why, but you could create someone as much more of a bastard with these. Referees now just get distracted rather than clotheslined.

Backstage scrapping is so rare now too. Everything needs to happen in front of the audience. When was the last time wrestlers got into a bit of an argument backstage? 

• Awards Moderator

I mentioned this in another thread about No Way Out '98, but multi-man matches where multiple things are happening at once. These days it's always two people doing moves in the ring, everyone else lying around on the floor waiting for their turn, then occasionally all get together for a tower of doom or a dive series. NWO98 starts with four things happening at once all over the place and you don't know where to look and it's great and feels wild and exciting for it. The Ladder Match at the last Takeover was the closest they've done to something like that in recent years, and that too was great for it.

Also, the structure of matches in WWE being less rigidly obvious. Series of moves. Someone does a dive. Into a rest hold. Series of near falls. Lie around for an age after each one, but not before doing the "WHAAAAT NOOOO I CAN'T BELIEVE HE KICKED OUT, BETTER SIT HERE MAKING SHOCKED FACES INSTEAD OF STILL TRYING TO WIN" face. Someone wins. Every bloody match feels like this. I can save time with the Network's 'skip 30 seconds' button to cut out The Rest Hold Portion of a match and the post near fall 'disbelief' facials.

Reading back, that sounds more like a moan at how things are than something I miss. Oh well.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator