Odd bits and pieces that you miss in wrestling

Kfogg1991

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I mentioned this in another thread about No Way Out '98, but multi-man matches where multiple things are happening at once. These days it's always two people doing moves in the ring, everyone else lying around on the floor waiting for their turn, then occasionally all get together for a tower of doom or a dive series.

Lucha Underground was always really good at this. In one massive mental match, the hard cam was focused on two guys in the ring but in the background someone launched Jack Evans down a staircase. It was a mental bump barely caught on camera which actually made the match feel crazier. A blink and you'll miss it moment. So much insanity was happening the cameras couldn't keep up! I loved it.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Crowd signs. Loads and loads of crowd signs.  Are people just not arsed anymore or has WWE's strict polices but a damper on this once-great tradition?

I think it's the change of the times. Back then there wasn't really mobile phones or full on internet for fans to get themselves over, People now take photos and post/tag on social media they are at events (rather than having a big sign as that was a way of letting everyone know you are at the show) and secondly I think the internet with more smart fans means that WWE has tried to filter certain signs out to avoid spoiling shows/promoting non WWE content.

Now the WWE promote all the facial expressions/reactions (e.g. Miz Girl, Brock Guy etc) and people just use phones with lights in the dark. 

Edited by Briefcase

This is an odd-one, but a smaller ring. I'm talking the WCW size.

The reason for this is that most of the wrestlers these days are a lot smaller than in the 1980s, so having a smaller ring would make them bigger and make the monsters even bigger. I know WWE would never consider this given everyone would have to re-work their style and initially, the injuries would mount up, but in terms of aesthetics and presentation, I think it would have long-term benefits.

• Paid Members

It’s not WWE’s fault, just a sign of modern times, but the glare from the lights and camera flashes always felt big time. Now it’s all HD and you can clearly see a dead crowd with no glitz or glam.

A Royal Rumble match that is constant action. I dont know when it started but now it's 'lay around while we focus on two people in the middle of the ring' stuff and I fucking hate it.

'Oh, Sasha lasted nearly an hour in the first womens Rumble!' - Yeah and how much of that was spent outside the ring or laying down?

***PUTS OFFICIAL GRUMPY OLD MAN HAT ON*** Back in my day when Greg Valentine, Rick Martel and The Million Dollar Man were in the Rumble for a long time they were constantly punching, kicking, struggling to not get eliminated. Shit, that's what makes Flair's 1992 Rumble win [and the match itself] so excellent - apart from about 10 seconds before Piper comes out he is constantly getting chopped and slammed and fighting to not be eliminated. As a fan you go 'Wow, that was a tough 60 minutes! Impressive!'. Royal Rumble used to be awesome because it was all-action for an hour. Now, bar a few exceptions, it is a lot of 'Do a bit of stuff but lay down or keep out of the way while we focus on Kofi doing his 'both feet' bit or Elias playing the guitar.

Grr!!

bit off topic but I always enjoy it in Rumble's when the commentators make a big deal of how long someones been in but it's not actually that impressive. for example, they seemed to it loads in 1995. "crush has been in there for over 10 minutes!"

10 minutes? blimey he must be on the verge of passing out.

Big stars returning or debuting.

There's nobody left who's not either wrestled for WWE and is welcome back, or is a big star who's never worked there.

In the 90s there was so many  moves from WCW to WWE and viva versa that things were kept fresh.

I reckon AJ Styles at the Rumble was the last big omg debut.  Now even guys like Samoa Joe do a year in NXT.

Edited by Loki

3 hours ago, Ricc1PW said:

bit off topic but I always enjoy it in Rumble's when the commentators make a big deal of how long someones been in but it's not actually that impressive. for example, they seemed to it loads in 1995. "crush has been in there for over 10 minutes!"

10 minutes? blimey he must be on the verge of passing out.

True, but I always thought if the commentators emphasised that this was not like a regular match, because of the number of different people involved and having to fight to constantly stay in the ring with no break, that 10 minutes in the Rumble was like 30 min a regular match. It emphasised how unique and difficult the Rumble was in my opinion.

Wrestlers wearing street gear for promo's including one's that lead to an impromptu match. It's so stupid to me when they have them come to the ring for segments or interviews etc in full ring gear then make them act surprised when they're put into a match.

Also wrestler's not walking around/coming out constantly wearing their own T shirts at all times.