Things that you know will be shit

Gus Mears

The only way Blues Brothers is not a musical is if you don't want to admit you like a musical. 

It's okay, you like a musical. 

Besides, if you go down the all musicals are shit route you'd be condemning Wizard of Oz, Singing in the Rain, Muppet Christmas Carol, Beauty and the Beast, Top Hat, American in Paris, 42nd Street, Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, Once, Rocky Horror, Cabaret and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and while there's films on there that I don't like I can't imagine a film buff dismissing all of them as shit. Especially since they've had lasting influences on any number of other genres. Well, I just like Muppet Christmas Carol. And Treasure Island. Leave then alone.

I'd also argue you were dismissing films like Baby Driver or the original Suspiria because while they're not musicals they are clearly indebted to them in the way they use music. 

You could, if you were desperately trying to excuse yourself, try and separate the movie musical from the stage musical. But that would be like saying "drama is boring" because you don't like watching plays. 

58 minutes ago, Vamp said:

Besides, if you go down the all musicals are shit route you'd be condemning Wizard of Oz, Singing in the Rain, Muppet Christmas Carol, Beauty and the Beast, Top Hat, American in Paris, 42nd Street, Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, Once, Rocky Horror, Cabaret and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

I am. Rocky Horror twice for good measure. 

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

And Ray Charles. And James Brown.

Not really. James Brown is singing with a church band and choir, and Ray Charles plays as part of an improvised jam in a music shop (similar to moments in Get Back when one of them will randomly shout a song name and they'll go straight into it without any preparation).

With Aretha Franklin, there is no source for the music, and the song replaces dialogue.