2019 album of the year

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

I know it's only May, but I thought it may be handy to be able to keep track of releases over the course of the year.

I'll start the ball rolling with No Geography by The Chemical Brothers. I woke up to find Spotify had downloaded it to my phone one morning and I've not really been able to get enough of it. It flows really well, as you'd expect a Chemicals album to. Well worth a listen if you're a fan of them or the genre.

I don't think I have an album of the year yet but some from 2019 that I've been enjoying:

American Football - LP3

Bibio - Ribbons

Bob Mould - Sunshine Rock

The Cinematic Orchestra - To Believe

The Comet Is Coming - Trust In The Life Force of The Deep Mystery

The Damned Things - High Crimes

Fontaines D.C. - Dogrel

Idiot Pilot - Blue Blood

Loyle Carner - Not Waving, But Drowning

PUP - Morbid Stuff

Subjective - Act One: Music For Inanimate Objects

Test Dept - Disturbance

Vous Autres - Champs Du Sang

Заводь - Уже заря зажглась (fuck knows what it is in English)

Are probably my top 3 so far, I've been listening to a lot of older albums this year and revisiting past favs. I'd probably put the new Ithaca up there and I don't usually like modern hardcore.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'll start the ball rolling with No Geography by The Chemical Brothers.

I haven't listened to the album yet but I really, really like MAH and Got To Keep On (assuming they are both on the album)- so I'm looking forward to this.

But yeah, like Chest, I haven't listened to any 2019 albums so far this year. Shameful.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Заводь - Уже заря зажглась (fuck knows what it is in English)

Apparently it's Dawn Is Already Lit by Creek.

@PunkStep have you managed to give Woman WorldWide a listen yet?

Keeping it Ed Banger related, apparently SebastiAn has an album out this year as well. That could be worth a listen.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

The Wildhearts - Renaissance Men. Absolute belter of an album.

I was just coming to say those exact words, it's an incredible album, there's not a bad moment on it.

so as someone has already taken the Wildhearts  i'll add a bonus selection of Twin Temple (Bring You Their Signature Sound.... Satanic Doo-Wop)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure that the chances of there being any fans of jazz music on here are slim to none but the new Ruby Rushton record, 'Ironside', is absolutely fantastic. I can see this being a top 5 record at the end of the year for me. Ruby Rushton are a quartet headed by musician Tenderlonious, and the album was recorded at Abbey Road over the space of three days. Great mix of classic Coltrane-esque American jazz with more modern, contemporary influences.

As I said, there are probably zero people on here that care but I wanted to shout about this anyway because I genuinely think it's excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

So. It’s hardly surprising for me to be putting this in here but I’ve waited a week so it didn’t seem like a fanboy knee-jerk post.

Springsteen’s new album is incredible.

I’ve always been more a fan of the E Street Band stuff and for good reason; Nebraska aside, it always topped Bruce’s solo work. And I’m not saying Western Stars is up there with the E Street back catalogue, but fucking hell it’s good.

It has the character-driven songs you’d expect, the rustic horns and grizzly vocals that make his work what it is and it calls back to the late 70s/early 80s with the county line and El Camino references.

There are echos of Johnny Cash in some of the lyrics and whilst I hope Bruce lives until he’s 409, if this was to be his last effort, it’s a great bow. But it won’t be. He’s already got a new LP lined up with the band next year.

Honestly, I can’t get over this album. 46 years after the debut, he’s putting out music like this. Untouchable.

Edited by Frankie Crisp