Wrestlers you like who you really shouldn’t

RedRooster

I started the wrestlers you have an irrational dislike for thread so I thought I’d try the opposite. 

Which wrestler(s) do you have an affinity for that you either can’t explain, or know you shouldn’t?

The love here has to be genuine, no ironic liking is allowed here.

And I’ll know the difference. I’ll know. 

For me, there’s only one answer to this question.

I’ve recently started watching Raw from 97/98 having not seen it first time round.

And do you know what? Fuck Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart. Fuck The Rock and Steve Austin. For me there’s only one stand-out.

Kurrgan.

From the moment he debuts with the Truth Commision with that brilliantly underrated music, to the moment the waste him in The Oddities I absolutely love the guy.

He looks absolutely terrifying and while I recognise that he’s not exactly great in ring (or even passable) I just don’t care. There’s something about him that I can’t help but like. 

I’d have been completely down with him joining the Corporation, or challenging for a belt. He looks like an absolute monster, more so than the friendly looking Big Show or even Great Khali. He’s the most terrifying looking 7-footer WWE has ever had. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I bloody loved Great Khali. Won't hear a bad word said against him.

At the moment, Erick Rowan. Love the big lug, loved his weird post-Wyatts babyface run, love his look, just generally think he's great, yet he's never really done anything to earn any of that goodwill.

• Paid Members

Like you, a lot depends on timing and your age when you were first influenced by them. I'm embarrassed to say it really,  but mine is Giant Gonzales.

Looking back now he was fucking atrocious in the ring and had the worst attire ever, but fuck me, he wasn't half a specimen. At 9 years old I wasn't interested in workrate.

I saw Gonzales before I saw Andre wrestle an actual match, so I've always considered the Argentine workhorse as this amazing big man and a sight to behold. No one ever talks about the impressive beat down of the Undertaker at RR 93 and entrants refusing to get into the ring. He scared me shitless.

• Paid Members

One of the earliest wrestling images I can remember is of Giant Gonzales with his hand around The Undertaker's throat, and waiting years before I ever actually saw him wrestle, because it must have been in a magazine/programme long after Wrestlemania IX, so it wasn't until post-2000 that I would have been watching old shows that I ever actually saw him.

The impact of that photo will always give me a soft spot for him, though.

• Paid Members

I absolutely loved Ezekial Jackson. I wasn't a kid at the time, I just loved him. A big, tough looking mean guy with a great urinage (hush carbomb) that looked like he had complete disdain for whomever he hit. Had a great presence and great music. Loved him. 

• Awards Moderator

Heidenreich. I don't know why. There's no rational reason for it. He was just a sentimental favourite from when I first saw a picture of Big Jon Heidenreich on the OVW website, through to watching him main-event in Newcastle the night of WrestleMania 23.

I used to love Trevor Murdoch. I was convinced that he was some kind of throwback genius whose stuff looked like he was killing people because he was ace. 

It wasn't until about 3 years ago I saw clips from shoots where guys were complaining about how dangerous he was.

Still have a soft spot for him though.

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I bloody loved Great Khali. Won't hear a bad word said against him.

At the moment, Erick Rowan. Love the big lug, loved his weird post-Wyatts babyface run, love his look, just generally think he's great, yet he's never really done anything to earn any of that goodwill.

I will second Rowan, I think he has a great and I really thought they were going to do something big with him when they had the post Wyatt angle where it turned out he was a genius and he joined the anti authority team....shame they had him lose to Big Show is a “steel steps” match. It would of been a great angle if the man behind the man was a secret genius.

The other one was Albert, as a 12 year old I thought he was amazing. Even now I’ve no idea why I thought he was so great but I would bang onto anyone that would listen about how he should win the WWE championship and should be feuding with Austin/Rock/etc

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Duke said:

I absolutely loved Ezekial Jackson. I wasn't a kid at the time, I just loved him. A big, tough looking mean guy with a great urinage (hush carbomb) that looked like he had complete disdain for whomever he hit. Had a great presence and great music. Loved him. 

This is mine too. Never understood why they didn't even attempt to do anything with him. You can get a lot out of a fucking jacked scary guy with a great entrance theme.

I also loved Ryback too. He was a goofy idiot who had two...maybe three good singles matches in his entire career and cut some terrible promos but I would have put the title on him.

Zack Ryder. The goodwill from Z! True Long Island Story is long gone, and he is average at best in the ring... but I just love the goof. Still get goosebumps watching him win the Intercontinental Championship truthfully; and one of the best days I ever had was getting a retweet off him.

Perhaps it's because I'm a loser too...

Archived