The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

I might be a little disappointed for Naomi but I'm fully on board the Tiffy Time train so choo choo haters.

That Rock/Bloodline segment was their best in a while. Nice to see them heating up properly before Mania.

Everything feels like it's heading in the right direction now. Only thing I'm really waiting for is who faces Gunther. If it's not my boy Sami then they better find something for him.

Yeah, no, this Rock character is magnificent. Couldn't care less how actually insecure the man is. How much of it's a work. It's feeding beautifully into the on screen presentation either way, which is the only element of it I care about. It's 2024 and we've got a proper top tier, big time evolution of his gimmick that makes complete sense. 

Rock's awesome, Cody's winning whether he wants to or not, and the Rock/Roman program next year will be molten hot and something people actually want to see once the Bloodline knock seven bucks of shit out of the guy and he pivots back to mega face in a "For a minute there I lost myself" promo. They've lucked into the happiest of accidents here. A month ago seems like four years ago. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

A Cody/Rock singles match at Sunmerslam, and Rock/Reigns (non-title) at Wrestlemania next year could be a lot of fun.

I hope I’m misunderstanding, because the sequence of events emphasis on “non-title” seems to (a) imply that Reigns will beat Cody at 40, (b) make explicit that Cody doesn’t main event 41 and (c) imply Reigns will make it to another Mania as champion but not defend it there? Do I not like that. Any of it.

Rock vs Reigns at SummerSlam works better for me, and a chapter 3 of Rock losing to Cody at Mania 41 to cement him. I know some people see Rock vs Reigns as one of the biggest matches of all time, but I see it as more like a part timer on the road to winding down vs a semi retired star who hasn’t been a regular part of the show for 21 years.

For context, Hulk Hogan was the biggest star in the history of the sport but when they had chance to do Hogan vs Shawn Michaels just 3 years removed from The Hulksters last title reign, nobody saw an issue with it happening at a SummerSlam instead of taking focus off Batista or Cena at a Mania. Rock doing his thing with Cena at Manias made a bit of sense because Cena was still the top guy and (in the end) he got to underline that he was the guy, and Rock’s time had passed. If somehow we’re using Rock in that capacity again…. Fuck me, it’s Cody’s time, surely? I genuinely don’t see Roman wrestling long beyond Mania 41, and what extra bragging rights, even in company rhetoric, would pinning Rock at a Mania give him that beating Brock Lesnar and John Cena and Goldberg and holding the belt for 27 years hasn’t already?

50 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I might be a little disappointed for Naomi but I'm fully on board the Tiffy Time train so choo choo haters.

That Rock/Bloodline segment was their best in a while. Nice to see them heating up properly before Mania.

Everything feels like it's heading in the right direction now. Only thing I'm really waiting for is who faces Gunther. If it's not my boy Sami then they better find something for him.

I don't think it will be Sami unfortunately.

Can see him and KO in some throw away tag match against Theory and Waller 😒

26 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

I don't think it will be Sami unfortunately.

Can see him and KO in some throw away tag match against Theory and Waller 😒

It does feel a bit unlikely. I guess the only vague hope I've got is they have put a fair amount of effort into Sami lately and him trying to rediscover his winning side again. So I'm hoping it is leading to something but who knows.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I hope I’m misunderstanding, because the sequence of events emphasis on “non-title” seems to (a) imply that Reigns will beat Cody at 40, (b) make explicit that Cody doesn’t main event 41 and (c) imply Reigns will make it to another Mania as champion but not defend it there? Do I not like that. Any of it.

You’re misunderstanding - what I mean is Rock pins Cody night one, meaning advantage Bloodline night two. Except Cody wins anyway, with a fun, overbooked main event with loads of fun cameo appearances as The Bloodline is taken out one-by-one. Rock takes over The Bloodline post-Mania, asking Reigns to acknowledge him. 

Then you do Cody/Rock for the title at Summerslam. If Reigns is with Bloodline, he refuses to help Rock during the match, turning face. If he isn’t, he interferes making his return. I know not everyone will like that, but it’s a possibility for sure.

Then you build to Rock/Reigns non-title at Wrestlemania, while Cody faces someone someone who has been built up as a major threat. Maybe it’s Cena returning; maybe it’s Gunther or Bron Breakker or maybe it’s someone they’ve nabbed from AEW. Heck, maybe it’s CM Punk.

Whatever the case, I think the best outcome from this is a babyface Roman and a heel Rock, without the involvement of a title. Reigns needs freshened up after this title reign ends.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Then you build to Rock/Reigns non-title at Wrestlemania, while Cody faces someone someone who has been built up as a major threat. Maybe it’s Cena returning; maybe it’s Gunther or Bron Breakker or maybe it’s someone they’ve nabbed from AEW. Heck, maybe it’s CM Punk.

Ah, the “look at these AEW twats” match which that moron was fed as this years plan, along with Gunther winning the Rumble.

Sorry I’m late in lads, been up early this morning furiously trawling Shein for gawdy looking knock off Versace shirts till now. Fuck me that’s everything a 40 year old bloke who can’t be arsed watching full shows wants from an angle. Greatest hits, storyline advancement, Dillon and Dutch looking the business. When Roman said “I need you to acknowledge me!” I got shivers and a boner. This is whilst doing an extra 10 minutes on the cross trainer to watch the end of the segment. Miraculous.

On reflection they probably could have used Sami instead of Seth as Cody’s partner. Unless he faces Gunther at Mania he doesn’t seem to have a clear path to the show anyway. Could have played into the history there and if Rock is turning on Roman in the tag match it would have allowed Sami revenge for losing to Roman last year instead of that berk Rollins. 

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

A tiny thing but when will they ever decide to update that AR model of Roman during the entrance? It still looks like shit.

It’s the absolute worst, isn’t it? I assumed it was a Vince thing, with him assuming this was the height of technology, yet still it lingers.

21 minutes ago, Callum1993 said:

On reflection they probably could have used Sami instead of Seth as Cody’s partner. Unless he faces Gunther at Mania he doesn’t seem to have a clear path to the show anyway. Could have played into the history there and if Rock is turning on Roman in the tag match it would have allowed Sami revenge for losing to Roman last year instead of that berk Rollins. 

The way they’ve been playing up Sami wanting to win a title, and do something historic - I’d be absolutely amazed if he wasn’t in a title match of some form, likely versus Gunther. My slight concern is they have Gunther in a multi-man match so that his title reign can end without him having to take a pin.