The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

God I just fucking hate LA Knight. It's getting to Jack Evans levels with me now.

I think if he wasn’t over like he is, I’d agree with this. I think it’s the crowd being so into it that I like, as opposed to the act.

8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

God I just fucking hate LA Knight. It's getting to Jack Evans levels with me now.

I agree, I think he is utterly shit whenever I've seen him.

I'm happy* that people like him so much, and good for them if they enjoy it, but not for me.

*Obviously not happy, I'm never happy.

Edited by SuperBacon

1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

Give over.

Sad they are wasting Knight/Reigns in Saudi though.

Should have been the Mania main event.

I wasn't on the IWC during the Attitude era but I imagine there were people saying how much they hated The Rock, just as there were people banging on every week about how much they hated Cena.   You either get on the train as its leaving the station, or spend the next few years glaring resentfully at the empty track.

I don't know if Knight is going to get the long sustained push but right now he's got the rocket strapped to him, he's electrifying the crowd with his undeniable kavorka, we're getting to see some actual appearances of Reigns... this is what we want from wrestling, charismatic faces and dastardly heels clashing in front of noisy crowds.  Yeah!

11 minutes ago, Loki said:

I wasn't on the IWC during the Attitude era but I imagine there were people saying how much they hated The Rock, just as there were people banging on every week about how much they hated Cena.   You either get on the train as its leaving the station, or spend the next few years glaring resentfully at the empty track.

I don't know if Knight is going to get the long sustained push but right now he's got the rocket strapped to him, he's electrifying the crowd with his undeniable kavorka, we're getting to see some actual appearances of Reigns... this is what we want from wrestling, charismatic faces and dastardly heels clashing in front of noisy crowds.  Yeah!

I got on one particular train on its loop back to Connecticut, jumping on at Daily’s Place, and it turns out long words, Bugsy Malone suits, neck tattoos and hair dye are what I want from my wrestling locomotives.

If Knight does stay on top, I hope they switch him to Raw and my boy Cody to Smackdown for Reigns. Yeah.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

He's definitely not shit. He might not be the kinda person you like or you're into but he's not shit. Where they are now is far better than I thought him and Roman would be. I'm really enjoying the contrast between the two and it's working really well. Obviously LA is winding him up a lot which means Reigns will kick his ass big time in Saudi but it'll throw him off his game enough to make it look more balanced than it probably should be at this point.

Jimmy is ridiculous and I'm here for it.

Cena is really going for it these last few appearances and it's exactly what he's doing. So glad he was able to come back.

5 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think if he wasn’t over like he is, I’d agree with this. I think it’s the crowd being so into it that I like, as opposed to the act.

Yeah this is how I feel about it too. 

The phrase "stealing a living" comes to mind whenever I see him. I can't help it. I know that statement can have some pretty toxic implications especially when levelled at someone whose only job basically is to get a crowd to react to him but every time he takes those glasses off and does his ultra-stagey, most-WWE-promo-style-ever couple of bullet points I think "Man, you've gotten so lucky here" because it feels like there's surely a parallel universe somewhere where he's doing the exact same shtick but it never took off. 

This mental boom he's having it like this highly enjoyable collective insanity to me. Like everyone arbitrarily decided "Look, what if -" and started roaring their throats out for this absolutely unspectacular dumbass and now suddenly it's the best thing ever. 

He's the shits and I love it. 

I've tried to give Knight a go, but I just can't stand him. Can't stand his stupid music, his moronic promo style and he's middling at best in the ring. You could see Cena had talent for promos before he made it big & his ring work improved over the years to match his push, but Knight is just by the numbers dull & he's not a young lad like Cena or Rock were. Best of luck to him, but hopefully he gets sent to Raw & I'll never have to see or hear him again.

• Paid Members
On 10/28/2023 at 8:10 AM, d-d-d-dAz said:

You could say that about a few people. Watching The Rock if the crowd weren't into it would be like watching one of those videos where they remove the laugh track from a sitcom and it makes them look like a psychopath.

31 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

You could say that about a few people. Watching The Rock if the crowd weren't into it would be like watching one of those videos where they remove the laugh track from a sitcom and it makes them look like a psychopath.

Maybe. Rock’s a bad example, as I think I probably feel the same about him, but if I think of the babyfaces I really like, I can watch them cut backstage promos or deliver cold monologues and still enjoy them. Knight sort of leaves me cold without a rabid live audience joining in and going crazy.

There’s something about him that just doesn’t quite connect with me. I don’t buy that he’s anything other than a big wrestling fan playing the part he’s been rehearsing for his entire life. Which I know is a super harsh criticism, as that should be endearing, but I don’t buy the character.

If I think of Cody Rhodes, for example, I buy that his character wants to win the World Title. John Cena, I buy that he has a central code of never giving up and that he believes he has to fight for good to set a good example for the WWE Universe. Even our old mate CM Punk, I buy that his character thinks he’s the best wrestler in the world, has a chip on his shoulder about it and wants to prove it at all costs.

Even Rollins, who I don’t care for, I believe is an arrogant shite who wants to be on top solely because he likes the feeling and has a sense of entitlement that that’s where he belongs.

LA Knight, I don’t see any of that (happy to caveat that with a ‘yet’), I just see a bloke called Sean who really wants to be a famous wrestler.

I genuinely hope it clicks at some point for me, as it looks really fun to be really into it.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Maybe. Rock’s a bad example, as I think I probably feel the same about him, but if I think of the babyfaces I really like, I can watch them cut backstage promos or deliver cold monologues and still enjoy them. Knight sort of leaves me cold without a rabid live audience joining in and going crazy.

There’s something about him that just doesn’t quite connect with me. I don’t buy that he’s anything other than a big wrestling fan playing the part he’s been rehearsing for his entire life. Which I know is a super harsh criticism, as that should be endearing, but I don’t buy the character.

If I think of Cody Rhodes, for example, I buy that his character wants to win the World Title. John Cena, I buy that he has a central code of never giving up and that he believes he has to fight for good to set a good example for the WWE Universe. Even our old mate CM Punk, I buy that his character thinks he’s the best wrestler in the world, has a chip on his shoulder about it and wants to prove it at all costs.

Even Rollins, who I don’t care for, I believe is an arrogant shite who wants to be on top solely because he likes the feeling and has a sense of entitlement that that’s where he belongs.

LA Knight, I don’t see any of that (happy to caveat that with a ‘yet’), I just see a bloke called Sean who really wants to be a famous wrestler.

I genuinely hope it clicks at some point for me, as it looks really fun to be really into it.

Thing is comparing him to The Rock, or Austin in the attitude era, those guys were in their 20’s and 30’s. LA Knight is almost 41 and he’s just starting on that road. He’s running out of time.

16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Thing is comparing him to The Rock, or Austin in the attitude era, those guys were in their 20’s and 30’s. LA Knight is almost 41 and he’s just starting on that road. He’s running out of time.

Is he really, though? Edge and Christian Cage are both almost 50, and are performing at an extremely high level. Austin’s run on top was much shorter than the age gap that exists between them and Knight. I don’t think age is a factor here; or at least, it shouldn’t be. It’s all about how effectively he can sustain the reaction he gets. 

I don’t view him as a main eventer, but a win over Logan Paul, to lift the US title at Wrestlemania seems like a good landing spot for him.