Egg and Chips

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

What's your wrestling comfort food?

Royal Rumble 1992 is too obvious so we'll call that a given.

King of the Ring 1993 is a big one for me. It's got a glorious soundtrack with Ross, Heenan and Savage. Dayton, Ohio being the heartland of America is ingrained in my mind. It's a colourful show with a really solid cast, three great Bret Hart matches and my hero being crowned.

I've mentioned loads on here how hard I found getting wrestling as a kid because we never had SKY but the period between WM9 and WM10 was as good as it got thanks to a friend of my cousin who was a huge fan. Part of the reason WM9, KOTR, the Luger stuff and Rumble 94 feel like memories of Cadburys Creme Eggs and Mr Whippy ice creams from being a kid. Any of those shows would fit this list for me.

If we're talking comfort snacks then it's Bret Hart promos from 1997, Rock promos from any point between 99 and 03, those little promos before Royal Rumbles, the opening to Survivor Series 89 and Sid squashes!

• Awards Moderator

Midcard PPV matches from 2000. It doesn’t much matter which show, or who’s wrestling; I’ve got such fondness for the 2000 WWF roster as a collective that if I just want something to watch, I’ll pick at random and be happy.

WWF from Survivor Series 89 through to WrestleMania 6 - including weekly tv & SNME. Huge mark for the Warrior, especially at the time, and loved his push & run to the title. Rumble & Mania 90 perhaps among some of my all-time favourites but that may just be a nostalgia thing more than anything else.

I would’ve said all the way to 1992 but it’s interrupted by SummerSlam 90 which I thought was pretty blah.

• Awards Moderator

Survivor Series 1989 all day long. Yes, that intro of course. But so much stuff I defaulted to putting on when I was bored. Carrying on Rick's analogy, it's like marmite on toast or Frazzles to me. 

WrestleMania III is another one. Bundy is topical right now but I always dug that midget match. Just great fun and reminds me of being off sick from school, duvet on the sofa. 

WCW from mid-late 1989, which really needs to be uploaded to the WWE Network. Back then my sole previous exposure to American wrestling was occasional WWF matches they showed in place of the usual World of Sport shows. Since we didn't have Sky TV Greg Dyke stopped me getting my weekly wrestling fix, but in mid-late 1989 I noticed the TV guide in the paper had simply "Wrestling" advertised on Yorkshire Television (kids, this was back when there were all kinds of regional variations on ITV) at 1am, so I set the video. The next morning I woke up and just wow. It started with the post match brawl from Flair/Funk at the Great American Bash, it was just craziness compared to Big Daddy and Catweazle. Plus there were the Steiners with Rick Steiner decapitating people with the Steinerline and Scott with the Frankensteiner. The second episode was just as good.

More Flair/Funk/Sting/Muta brawling and Sid Vicious murdering Lee Scott. WCW had an incredible tag team roster back then - Road Warriors, Midnight Express, Steiner Brothers, Doom, Samoan Swat Team/New Wild Samoans, Freebirds (not the best version admittedly). Plus not so great tag teams like the Skyscrapers, Dynamic Dudes, State Patrol, New Zealand Militia, Ding Dongs. The Flair/Funk feud was the main storyline though, easily one of my favourite feuds ever.

Six man Hell In A Cell from Armageddon 2000 and the streetfight from Royal Rumble the same year are my happy places. Stick 'em on, turn my brain off and let it all wash over me. Summerslam 1992 has a similar effect but I struggle to find 3 hours for that these days.

If I ever want a snack sized chunk of joy I just watch Macho Man promos. I don't think I'm ever happier than when I'm watching that coked up lunatic doing an interview with Mean Gene. Got this badge on my jacket so I can just look at that and I'm transported. 
Macho-Man-Randy-Savage-Cup-of-coffee-enamel.jpg

• Paid Members

Increasingly it's mid-90s WCW, which I never really did up until recently.

There's just something about it, that period from just before Hogan signed through to the nWo forming, that's missing in modern wrestling. I couldn't quite put my finger on it - it's certainly not Hogan squashes, Evad Sullivan and Johnny B Badd in every opening match since time immemorial, but there's just a certain something, an atmosphere, a feeling, that I don't get from anything going on today. I almost started watching MLW purely because I heard they brought Colonel Robert Parker in.

11 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

What's your wrestling comfort food?

Royal Rumble 1992 is too obvious so we'll call that a given.

King of the Ring 1993 is a big one for me. It's got a glorious soundtrack with Ross, Heenan and Savage. Dayton, Ohio being the heartland of America is ingrained in my mind. It's a colourful show with a really solid cast, three great Bret Hart matches and my hero being crowned.

I've mentioned loads on here how hard I found getting wrestling as a kid because we never had SKY but the period between WM9 and WM10 was as good as it got thanks to a friend of my cousin who was a huge fan. Part of the reason WM9, KOTR, the Luger stuff and Rumble 94 feel like memories of Cadburys Creme Eggs and Mr Whippy ice creams from being a kid. Any of those shows would fit this list for me.

If we're talking comfort snacks then it's Bret Hart promos from 1997, Rock promos from any point between 99 and 03, those little promos before Royal Rumbles, the opening to Survivor Series 89 and Sid squashes!

Can't tell you how much this echoes my own - I adore King of the Ring and Summerslam 1993, representative to the few months I fell in love with pro wrestling for life. KOTR especially. The great matches with Bret, the fireball with Hogan and Yoko, and the angle at the end with Lawler...

12 hours ago, SpykeDudlei1 said:

WWF from Survivor Series 89 through to WrestleMania 6 - including weekly tv & SNME. Huge mark for the Warrior, especially at the time, and loved his push & run to the title. Rumble & Mania 90 perhaps among some of my all-time favourites but that may just be a nostalgia thing more than anything else.

I would’ve said all the way to 1992 but it’s interrupted by SummerSlam 90 which I thought was pretty blah.

GTFO! (Or whatever the kids say these days) 

SummerSlam1990 is my answer to this! 

Where bagpipes are hot and Baghdad’s not

The Rockers? The Rockers have been dating too many pretty young ladies!

From Vince’s opening through to Warrior escaping the cage, via Marty Jannetty pulling off the best handicap match ever because of Hercules taking Shawn out with the chain, Tornado squashing Perfect and Boobsie throwing the towel up in anger, Sapphire selling out, Dusty being worried (No I haven’t seen her, but don’t worry, we’re all still looking for her) and the best tag match ever with Demolition’s chicanery and the Legion of Doom coming to figure it out! Hell even Warlord vs Chico was good! 

This card is the reason I fell in love with the WWF and this card is always my go to event when I fall out of love with wrestling. 

My wrestling toastie is Wrestlemania 3. It was the first time I'd seen this WWF thing that everyone at school couldn't shut up about, and it blew my socks off. To say it lived up to the picture I'd built in my head would be a huge understatement. The Detroit Silverdome, the theme songs, the mini rings that transported the gladiators, Jesse Ventura, Alice Cooper, the way the stadium gets gradually darker as we get closer to Hogan/Andre, Gorilla yelling "Let's take a look at the events that led up to this one!" I've rewatched it quite a few times since then and it still gives me that Christmasy sense of magic and excitement that I felt on first viewing. 

8 minutes ago, thicko said:

GTFO! (Or whatever the kids say these days) 

SummerSlam1990 is my answer to this! 

Where bagpipes are hot and Baghdad’s not

The Rockers? The Rockers have been dating too many pretty young ladies!

From Vince’s opening through to Warrior escaping the cage, via Marty Jannetty pulling off the best handicap match ever because of Hercules taking Shawn out with the chain, Tornado squashing Perfect and Boobsie throwing the towel up in anger, Sapphire selling out, Dusty being worried (No I haven’t seen her, but don’t worry, we’re all still looking for her) and the best tag match ever with Demolition’s chicanery and the Legion of Doom coming to figure it out! Hell even Warlord vs Chico was good! 

This card is the reason I fell in love with the WWF and this card is always my go to event when I fall out of love with wrestling. 

First VHS I ever bought. Still have a copy on the shelf for sentimentality. Only years later does the wit of "They look like Mick Jagger and David Bowie right now" from Piper, when Marty is covering Shawn to save him from a further beating, after Piper has made the comparison earlier, come through.

I’ve just had a friend message me with similar questions after seeing my comment about SummerSlam 90 and have to admit I’ve not watched it in well over 2 decades as it just never resonated with me back at the time it was first out. I’ll perhaps give it another watch and report back. 

PS: I’ll maybe start a new post about events and/or that you’ve warmed or cooled on over time.

Archived