Egg and Chips

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Wrestlemania 9. I watched it so often as a child that I can still recite a good chunk of the commentary and I get incredibly defensive when people come out slating it as the worst ever Wrestlemania.

I love everything about it, the pagentry, the effort that went into the set, the outdoor setting and how different it looks to every other PPV.  Hulk also went over at the end which was the perfect ending for this 8 year old. Fuck workrate!

Looking back, its the dying embers of the golden era really isn't it? So many of those familiar faces had gone by the time WMX rolled around.

The Backlash 2000 main event featuring Austin's neck-still-broken comeback has been put on more times than I can count once I'm in from the boozer. Rock, Triple H and Vince all in career peak form and the irresistible Austin run-in. Total sugar high all the way through.

• Paid Members

Just remembering I used to have Wrestlemania 3 on VHS, long after I'd got rid of/misplaced most of my other videos, and I had a mate who'd crash at my place at least one night most weekends after a night out. We would get back from the pub and always he would insist on putting WM3 on, though he wasn't really even a wrestling fan, it was just pure nostalgia fuel for him. 

We used to play "Drink When You See Jimmy Hart".

Increasingly late 90s promos from WWF/WCW/ECW. I watched the Corporation/Stone Cold segment from the Raw after Survivor Series 98 earlier and I was lost in it. Even without accounting for the nostalgia, it still stands up well today. 

I find it hard to get invested in matches these days, even 'classics' so 90% of watch I watch now are old interviews and such for comfort watching. 

A comfy New Japan 8-man tag match is becoming my regular go-to if I want something quick and easy. Featuring the top guys, hot crowds and great action without being a 30-minute main event epic.

The late 80's to early 90's UK shows that would air on Sky, reminding me of the simpler times when the 'E would do a random show with unique matches (like Savage/HBK in 92 or Neidhart/Warlord in 91) or have a big time PPV style event like the Battle Royal show at the Albert Hall and Bulldog would be the star attraction even with the likes of Bret, Hogan, Savage, Piper and Flair on the line up. Easy to forget that nowadays considering we get two tours a year with a week's TV taped both times plus our own version of NXT.

• Paid Members

ive got a drunken one...watching episodes of Legends of Wrestling Roundtables. Ive tried watched them all more than once but couldnt tell you a single thing about one cause in always pissed when i put them on and ive never finished one. Settling down with a kebab and pressing play on one of those after a night out is comforting to me. Ten minutes later im fast asleep.

7 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

ive got a drunken one...watching episodes of Legends of Wrestling Roundtables. Ive tried watched them all more than once but couldnt tell you a single thing about one cause in always pissed when i put them on and ive never finished one. Settling down with a kebab and pressing play on one of those after a night out is comforting to me. Ten minutes later im fast asleep.

Ha, I do this too.

More fool you though if you fell asleep during the one where everyone round the table has a go at Pat Patterson for constantly interrupting Bret Hart when he's trying to explain why Archie Gouldie was the best Canadian ever. 

2 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Ha, I do this too.

More fool you though if you fell asleep during the one where everyone round the table has a go at Pat Patterson for constantly interrupting Bret Hart when he's trying to explain why Archie Gouldie was the best Canadian ever. 

Woah woah woah, Bret Hart actually said there was a Canadian wrestler better than himself? Did he say it with tears in his eyes

Archived