Was Will Smith ever any good?

Bellenda Carlisle

Was Will Smith ever good?  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Factotum said:

The bit where the dog escapes an explosion. That happened in that film. And people cheered. And people are idiots.

This is also a major strike against the film for me. The dog is running through explosions, cars are going up in flames with innocent people perishing inside of them, but here we are cheering the dog and hoping he makes it. It takes away any stakes for the remainder of the movie because that scene conditions you to not give a fuck about the rest of Earth's inhabitants in the face of this severe threat.

Then the giant alien ship (and their fleet) are killed off by an Apple Powerbook 5300. Another massive strike.

The only shining light in the movie is Randy Quaid.

Devon, you miserabilist.   Independence Day is great, it's completely stupid and ridiculous, and full of crazy over the top American patriotism but it's a great rollercoaster action film with memorable moments and performances.   It looks and sounds great, and has aged much more gracefully than most mid-90s CGI fests.

I bet you hated The Day After Tomorrow too.  You obviously have an issue with the whole Quaid family.

@HarmonicGenerator mentioned Volcano - :love:  Such a fantastic disaster film, even though it doesn't actually feature a volcano, and it was directed by the guy who directed Threads, so he knows his disasters.  Any time it's on I always end up watching it through, it's one of those films like Hard Rain that you settle into like a much loved old coat.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Loki said:

Devon, you miserabilist.   Independence Day is great, it's completely stupid and ridiculous, and full of crazy over the top American patriotism but it's a great rollercoaster action film with memorable moments and performances.   It looks and sounds great, and has aged much more gracefully than most mid-90s CGI fests.

I bet you hated The Day After Tomorrow too.  You obviously have an issue with the whole Quaid family.

@HarmonicGenerator

Rattled.

Archived