All Elite Wrestling trademarks filed

MPDTT

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Was the build up to All-in Cody? Because the NWA have done some sensational stuff that has nothing to do with him. They made Tim Storm look like the amalgamation of Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan in their videos.

Ah right, I stand corrected.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Ah right, I stand corrected.

I'm not correcting, I've no idea either way! Just know the NWA "Ten pounds of gold" videos are outstanding so it could be them behind it. There are loads in this thread that only Philjax posts in.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

They need Omega for this. He is THE star.

His NJPW contract goes to the end of January I believe. It'll be interesting to see what he does. Smart money is on him going to AEW, but you have to think this is has last chance to go to WWE given his age and style. You would think WWE will come in big for him as well, given the new start up. All in all Kenny Omega should be pretty happy with life at the moment.

I wouldn't be shocked if Kenny goes precisely nowhere. He LOVES living in Japan and I don't imagine he'd move continents unless his new employer was picking up Kota as well. Job satisfaction and your life outside the sport goes a lot further with some wrestlers than standing/achievements and what's going in the bank, like all those years AJ didnt want to do WWE's road schedule because he'd miss his kids growing up and wanted to be there more often while his wife was finishing her education.

Watch him win the Rumble now I've said that.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, air_raid said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Kenny goes precisely nowhere. He LOVES living in Japan and I don't imagine he'd move continents unless his new employer was picking up Kota as well. Job satisfaction and your life outside the sport goes a lot further with some wrestlers than standing/achievements and what's going in the bank, like all those years AJ didnt want to do WWE's road schedule because he'd miss his kids growing up and wanted to be there more often while his wife was finishing her education.

Is this another Rock moment? :laugh:

• Paid Members
Just now, tiger_rick said:

Is this another Rock moment? :laugh:

Literally just discussed that "match" with my mate boss ten minutes ago. 🙈

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, air_raid said:

I suppose if Kenny stays put, there's every chance he could negotiate something with NJPW where he can do the odd guest appearance for AEW as a favour. He has plenty of leverage with New Japan, and he could easily sign for another year and see what happens in  a year rather than jumping now. 

That said, I could absolutely see him going to WWE, not sure why but something makes me feel he's off there for that big match with AJ at some point, if not now. 

I know they're bait for a TV deal and casuals or whatever but what d'you do with Jericho and Goldberg if you get them? Is Jericho locked down and developing as a character at his age, working with talent up and down the card, working production and whatever else comes with a full time paid up gig or is it a vehicle for him to sell his all star variety panto schnorbitz boat show once every 18 months? He seems like such a weird choice because, and this is just as an outsider, he seems to have a decent gig working for himself and doesn't seem like the type to want to fuck that off or risk it long term, even with a backer that has fuck off Eddie Stobart size pockets

Goldberg, what the fuck do you do with him? with a crowd full of Bullet Club spods who are you having him go toe to toe with? Authority figure? I know that like any sensible person I want him being haunted by Vampiro with a return of the human torch match but that's not going to happen

• Paid Members

There's absolutely nothing Goldberg can offer, in my view. The way WWE used him for his last run was the perfect way to use him, and without a Brock Lesnar to work with, that run doesn't happen.

I just can't see what he could offer to AEW, and I can't imagine there's anyone out there who hasn't heard of AEW, or is undecided about AEW, for whom Bill Goldberg would be the deciding factor. That said, if it helps sell the concept to TV networks, bring him in - though by the sound of it they have TV deals lined up already.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I just can't see what he could offer to AEW, and I can't imagine there's anyone out there who hasn't heard of AEW, or is undecided about AEW, for whom Bill Goldberg would be the deciding factor. That said, if it helps sell the concept to TV networks, bring him in - though by the sound of it they have TV deals lined up already.

I don't see it happening for various reasons. But Bill Goldberg is a name countless lapsed fans would be aware of, as opposed to the Bucks, Kenny Omega etc. Cody would just be 'Dusty Rhodes' son' to these people.

• Paid Members

I think those hypothetical lapsed fans are a pipe dream, though, really.

If TNA didn't manage to bring in lapsed fans by signing up every available big name there was, I don't see AEW managing it with Goldberg. If WWE haven't managed it with the same names, and the entire video library on the Network, AEW aren't managing it without that supporting them. 

With Jericho in NJPW, it was a perfect storm of someone that everyone assumed was a WWE Lifer making the jump to the closest thing to a rival promotion, and going up against the biggest Western name they had, off the back of a massively well received Okada/Omega match. I don't think there's a free agent out there that could get that kind of buzz for AEW, bar CM Punk.

Perhaps more significantly, would Goldberg want it? He claimed he only came back to wrestling so his son could see him wrestle live. His son has now seen him come back, squash Brock Lesnar, enter a Royal Rumble, win the WWE Title, and compete at Wrestlemania - would slumming it for the Young Bucks really appeal to him after that? 

I'd be more in if they had Goldberg. I think you could get an interesting match with him against the Bucks. He could murder them with spears and power moves while they double team him. 

Omega (who still might be pull out rather than all in) could probably have an interesting match with Goldberg too. He seems like someone who's have fun against an unstoppable beast. 

• Paid Members

Omega/Goldberg would be dreadful. Omega's stock-in-trade is 20 minute+ "epics", Goldberg's first match back had to be cut short to a sub-1 minute squash because he's over 50 and got hurt training, and it was still arguably the best match he's ever had. 

• Paid Members

Goldberg would work as a fun surprise in one of their over-budget battle royals smashing people up for a couple of minutes. Nothing more. I might be doing his acting credentials a disservice, but the thought of him starring in an authority figure role for them makes shudder. To be honest ANY kind of attempt at putting someone in the authority figure role as a major on-screen personality would be a real let down. For once, let the actual wrestling be the source of conflict that drives storylines forward. Cracking concept, that. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Goldberg would work as a fun surprise in one of their over-budget battle royals smashing people up for a couple of minutes. Nothing more.

Goldberg would work in any scenario where he just kills people. This being an indy-wank fed, that could be a queue of ex-WWE guys or annoying Internet people like Joey Ryan. That would be fun for a bit. He doesn't need to do much, his name is all they're after. Needs about 5 minutes work over 3 months. You could try eventually to get him to job to someone like Omega for the kudos but it doesn't need it. Just 58 minutes of TV, Goldberg, squash, roll credits.