Umaga - great gimmick, but a bit of a rapist.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I am desperate to get out of the UK but a lot depends on my partner. With what she's looking to do, the NHS is going to be the best place for her. We were talking about selling our place, getting a buy-to-let and using the income from renting that place out to fund our home in whatever nation we eventually call home.

Yeah, that can prove problematic. I had a similar problem, as my other half worked as a teacher, which meant a long commute and all that jazz.

While what I do maybe isn't what I'd consider my dream job, it does pay very well, and me engaging in the dark arts essentially freed up my other half to quit her job and do something that she wanted to do, which is work with disadvantaged children overseas.

I'm happy to take that hit as far as a dream job goes to see her with a smile on her face as she heads out to do yoga in the morning rather than jump in her car for a soul-sapping commute.

And truth be told, I don't hate what I do. I'm old enough and savvy enough to know that very few people actually do something they love entirely. I don't have a "career," I have work that I do that allows me to provide a good life for my other half, and which allows us to essentially travel anywhere in the world on a full-time basis.

Anyway, back on topic, I just didn't want to ignore your last post. This chat probably belongs in the job thread.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Is there any evidence that Elgin's career has suffered in the US, Canada or Europe, though?

Yes the ratio of bookings he has had in the US, Canada and Europe since the whole thing broke.
It is picking up a little now but he has had absolutely 0 UK/Europe bookings since the whole thing came out and for the longest time the only promotion that booked him in the US was IWA Mid South [who received a lot of online backlash for doing so]. He has worked sparingly in Canada but if you look at the volume of matches he had in those places prior to this breaking and now you will see it is a massive drop.

An example of Elgin's backlash. Last year he was booked by nearly 40 promotions. This year... 11. Thankfully for him, those promotions have been giving him more bookings than previous year to make-up for the ridiculous twitter outrage. All he did was bullshit a bullshitter, which you can easily read into the texts she leaked to get support from the Teletubbies generation. Anyone who has had a bullshitter in their life would recognize that in the bored replies he gives her.

• Paid Members

Also, it's probably hindered/killed his chances of signing with WWE. Given the indy talent they've snapped up in recent times, surely he would've been high up on their list if he didn't have this hanging over him?

16 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Also, it's probably hindered/killed his chances of signing with WWE. Given the indy talent they've snapped up in recent times, surely he would've been high up on their list if he didn't have this hanging over him?

True. We all know the high standards WWE places on the talent they sign.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Yes the ratio of bookings he has had in the US, Canada and Europe since the whole thing broke.
It is picking up a little now but he has had absolutely 0 UK/Europe bookings since the whole thing came out and for the longest time the only promotion that booked him in the US was IWA Mid South [who received a lot of online backlash for doing so]. He has worked sparingly in Canada but if you look at the volume of matches he had in those places prior to this breaking and now you will see it is a massive drop.

...during which time he's been working regularly for NJPW and CMLL, two of the biggest promotions in the world. Do we talk about how Tanahashi has been "blacklisted" in the US and Europe for not having worked either for a year, or do we recognise that you go where the money is?

Looking at his Cagematch profile, he's been working 3-5 shows a week pretty much consistently all year. Not only does that not really sound like the schedule of a man whose career has been ruined by allegations, it also sounds like it would actually be difficult for him to fit in working additional US and European dates around his busy schedule. 

The idea that he's not working the UK or Europe because of connections to a sex pest is laughable considering the parade of wrong'uns working both of those scenes regularly.

Considering how people react these days when something isn't in line with their harmonious world these days (aka Twitter rage), unable to see nuances in a situation, only black & white, I blame that on those that grew up on Teletubbies 😁

But BomberPat ignored my post. Fewer promotions are hiring him. He lost two of his main US gigs in between the NJPW tours, AAW and Beyond, and if I remember correctly both (or at least one of them) went out and said publicly that the incident was the reason for not using him. Coincidentally I stopped watching both those promotions at the same time. Not for sympathy of Elgin, but the product started to suck around the same time. But of course Elgin is a top talent and can still fill his schedule, this time staying an extra week in Mexico for his annual October work/holiday there and IWA-MS has covered the dates on the US scene which he lost from AAW, so he's not suffering. But he did lose two at least two regular gigs, plus potentially other bookings as well since so few in the US has dared booking him since.

37 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

...during which time he's been working regularly for NJPW and CMLL, two of the biggest promotions in the world. Do we talk about how Tanahashi has been "blacklisted" in the US and Europe for not having worked either for a year, or do we recognise that you go where the money is?

Looking at his Cagematch profile, he's been working 3-5 shows a week pretty much consistently all year. Not only does that not really sound like the schedule of a man whose career has been ruined by allegations, it also sounds like it would actually be difficult for him to fit in working additional US and European dates around his busy schedule. 

The idea that he's not working the UK or Europe because of connections to a sex pest is laughable considering the parade of wrong'uns working both of those scenes regularly.

The Tanahashi example is a false equivalence as nothing is preventing him working anywhere he pleases [other than perhaps commitments to New Japan] and nobody is subject to online abuse or threats when they book him. 

Yes, Elgin he has been working extensively for NJPW and, more recently, CMLL because he has struggled to find work beyond one or two promotions in the US and Canada due to the backlash they received for booking him [Elgin worked one show that he arranged for Naito to be on and the backlash from the accuser and her followers was so severe the promoter was forced to publicly apologise and vow never to book him again]. He could, and is, arguing that he has had to work extensively abroad, therefore spending vast amounts of time away from his family, because of the allegations and a sustained online campaign of harassment made against him.

Go back on cagematch and see how many different promotions have booked him over the past year compared to before the allegations were made.

Ultimately, the court/judge whatever will decide whether the allegations have affected his career as this is part of his claim within the defamation suit he filed.

Is he still working regularly? Yes - however this does not mean that his career has not been adversely affected.

• Paid Members

Correlation =/= causation.

If I look at his schedule, I see a man who worked practically every day this month in Mexico, and for the remainder of the year was working practically every day of the week in Japan. And that's just the matches that have been documented on Cagematch. I don't look at that schedule and think, "wow, nobody in the US scene is booking this guy", I see someone working more consistently than the vast majority of wrestlers in the world, and most of that work being for two of the largest promotions in the world. I certainly don't think, "poor guy, all these NJPW shows means he's not getting booked to work in front of 150 people in a high school gym every week". Most of all, I don't think, "this guy's career is really suffering", not by a long shot.

Over the same schedule - again, based on Cagematch - Zack Sabre Jr has worked fewer dates in total, no dates in Mexico, and none in the US. But no one's arguing that Zack has been "blacklisted" in the US - they just recognise that's not where his schedule is taking him right now. 

You can look up practically any big name indie wrestler and you'd struggle to find anyone working as regularly as Elgin, or on as large a platform. 

If getting work almost every day of the week for two of the biggest, most iconic wrestling promotions in the world is the result of "backlash", then there must be thousands of wrestlers out there praying for the kind of "backlash" Elgin is "suffering" from.

Nah I can understand "Teletubbies Generation", it means someone who grew up watching Teletubbies, so it covers anyone who was a child between 1997 and now.  So that means a parent and child could feasibly both be from the Teletubbies Generation.  It makes perfect sense!

9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Correlation =/= causation.

If I look at his schedule, I see a man who worked practically every day this month in Mexico, and for the remainder of the year was working practically every day of the week in Japan. And that's just the matches that have been documented on Cagematch. I don't look at that schedule and think, "wow, nobody in the US scene is booking this guy", I see someone working more consistently than the vast majority of wrestlers in the world, and most of that work being for two of the largest promotions in the world. I certainly don't think, "poor guy, all these NJPW shows means he's not getting booked to work in front of 150 people in a high school gym every week". Most of all, I don't think, "this guy's career is really suffering", not by a long shot.

Over the same schedule - again, based on Cagematch - Zack Sabre Jr has worked fewer dates in total, no dates in Mexico, and none in the US. But no one's arguing that Zack has been "blacklisted" in the US - they just recognise that's not where his schedule is taking him right now. 

You can look up practically any big name indie wrestler and you'd struggle to find anyone working as regularly as Elgin, or on as large a platform. 

If getting work almost every of the week for two of the biggest, most iconic wrestling promotions in the world is the result of "backlash", then there must be thousands of wrestlers out there praying for the kind of "backlash" Elgin is "suffering" from.

Again, it's missing the key point that Elgin is having to work the places he is, regardless of how regularly, because he is unable to work other places.
Tanahashi, Zack Sabre Jr etc have no such restrictions - they can work wherever they want whenever they want. 

Archived