Umaga - great gimmick, but a bit of a rapist.

IANdrewDiceClay

5 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Introducing Teletubbies into this discussion is the most wacky twist in wrestling since Bray Wyatt’s hologram turned up at Hell in a Cell 2014.

Thanks, just letting people know why the world is the way it is nowadays. It's the Teletubbies... 🖖

No, but seriously. The point is that Elgin has been getting fewer places to work because of the slander. He hasn't been working more in the big two apart from that one week extra in Mexico this month. He so far has the same amount of dates for NJPW (unless he'll get booked for the tag league at the end of the year, which I guess he will, meaning one more tour compared to last year). It's a shame the judgmental few have so much influence today.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, it's shitty that promoters can decide in this day and age who they can and can't book for their own company.

Not what's happening though - it's the fans who are dictating it.
Most promoters seemingly WERE willing to book Elgin but decided not to because they didn't want the aggro from the outraged brigade on social media... the 'judgmental few' that PUNQ was referring to. 

Just now, Snitsky's back acne said:

brigade

Oh dear.

Fans dictate by buying tickets.  There are people who would buy tickets to see Elgin if only to stick it to some slag on Twitter.  Promoters have the final say, don't pretend otherwise.

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Oh dear.

Fans dictate by buying tickets.  There are people who would buy tickets to see Elgin if only to stick it to some slag on Twitter.  Promoters have the final say, don't pretend otherwise.

Not saying they don't but pretending that social media/fan backlash doesn't influence things, especially at an independent level where every dollar counts, is also naive. 

Sorry Big Mike, We can't fulfil our booking with you for the Boise Idaho Wrestling Federation tag match anymore because @BigWillyHouch in the UK retweeted someone saying they were boycotting anything you were at.  We were looking forward to the match with you teaming up with Marty Jannetty to face the Harris Brothers (with FrostNazi performing their entrance music) as well but sorry.

Apart from the great fantasy booking, that's basically what happened. He was booked on several shows and promoters went on Twitter announcing they had canceled his appearance because of fans threatening to boycott their shows as a result of the slander.

6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Sorry Big Mike, We can't fulfil our booking with you for the Boise Idaho Wrestling Federation tag match anymore because @BigWillyHouch in the UK retweeted someone saying they were boycotting anything you were at.  We were looking forward to the match with you teaming up with Marty Jannetty to face the Harris Brothers (with FrostNazi performing their entrance music) as well but sorry.

Fair enough. It's obvious you don't think that's an issue so we will have to agree to disagree on that one.  

59 minutes ago, PUNQ said:

Apart from the great fantasy booking, that's basically what happened. He was booked on several shows and promoters went on Twitter announcing they had canceled his appearance because of fans threatening to boycott their shows as a result of the slander.

Which promotions did this?  Have they suffered long term because of it?  Knowing the carny nature of the business I wonder if their announcements were trying to drum up business from people who said they were boycotting them!  

These online boycotting things are an odd one.  I remember a bar in my hometown had a policy of not serving anyone in uniform.  They had a notorious reputation regarding gaining entrance anyway but due to this policy, some kid behind the bar didn't serve some military personnel who were attending a service at the nearby Coventry Cathedral for someone killed on duty in Afghanistan.

Cue the outrage that this was done as a calculated insult to dead army servicemen.  The EDL had weekly protests outside the venue and of course Facebook did its bit.  There was a "Boycott Browns In Coventry City Centre" group set up and people from all over the globe joined it.  Even people I knew were outraged at a place they'd never stepped foot in before and decided to boycott it along with Wilbur Snaffensnatch from Kentucky.  Nice one, boys, I'm sure they really missed the money you never spent in there.

I reckon there were also a few promoters who thought "Y'know what, Elgin is a fucking arsehole regardless and I don't want to book him anyway/anymore and I'm going to try and take the high ground by using this episode not to book him"

• Paid Members

What I’ve learned from this thread so far.

Elgin is a cunt. Someone has accused him of, or being party to, sexual assault. He’s been black balled by some companies whilst gaining more bookings elsewhere. Someone coined the term Teletubby generation (even though Noel’s House Party would have been a better generation). PunQ is his biggest fan/agent/Elgin under an alias. Some people here are anti women and finally Umaga was possibly a bit rapey. 

53 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

What I’ve learned from this thread so far.

Elgin is a cunt. Someone has accused him of, or being party to, sexual assault.

Which is quite an achievement considering NO ONE, even those feeling he was in the wrong, has said that. He ran a wrestling school where one of his students was accused of rape. No way of knowing if that's true or not now, but considering the student left the school when the lady accused him, might suggest that there was some truth to it. Again, it was not Elgin. Where things gets defused is that they lady (with a alleged questionable reputation, as mentioned earlier in the thread by someone else, as some kind of ring rat/groupie) used the situation to get closer to Elgin instead of contacting the police. And when it dawned on her he wasn't taking the bait, she outed the bullshit between them which was mainly some texts where he didn't take her seriously.

54 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Someone coined the term Teletubby generation (even though Noel’s House Party would have been a better generation). PunQ is his biggest fan/agent/Elgin under an alias. Some people here are anti women and finally Umaga was possibly a bit rapey. 

Noel’s House Party! Now that's a generation I can be a part of! That brings wonderful memories!

And no, I'm not Elgin or in any way associated with him. I do enjoy his work and feel he got a bad deal here. The thing is, I've stayed off Twitter all these years but had a go at it. And this was the first "scandal" I was following in real time on there, so it hit a nerve. The lynch mob mentality on there is insane and what happened wasn't justice at all. It really gives the voice to the worst kind of well-meaners. 

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Which promotions did this?  Have they suffered long term because of it?  Knowing the carny nature of the business I wonder if their announcements were trying to drum up business from people who said they were boycotting them!  

These online boycotting things are an odd one.  I remember a bar in my hometown had a policy of not serving anyone in uniform.  They had a notorious reputation regarding gaining entrance anyway but due to this policy, some kid behind the bar didn't serve some military personnel who were attending a service at the nearby Coventry Cathedral for someone killed on duty in Afghanistan.

Cue the outrage that this was done as a calculated insult to dead army servicemen.  The EDL had weekly protests outside the venue and of course Facebook did its bit.  There was a "Boycott Browns In Coventry City Centre" group set up and people from all over the globe joined it.  Even people I knew were outraged at a place they'd never stepped foot in before and decided to boycott it along with Wilbur Snaffensnatch from Kentucky.  Nice one, boys, I'm sure they really missed the money you never spent in there.

I reckon there were also a few promoters who thought "Y'know what, Elgin is a fucking arsehole regardless and I don't want to book him anyway/anymore and I'm going to try and take the high ground by using this episode not to book him"

I believe AAW, one of his regular bookings, was one of them. There was at least one more that was openly vocal about it, but I don't remember what promoter that was. Not impossible that they used it to cut back on expenses or something like that. But AAW did quietly try and book him back once this year, but backed off once they didn't like the crowd response. 

11 minutes ago, PUNQ said:

But AAW did quietly try and book him back once this year, but backed off once they didn't like the crowd response. 

Yeah he got booed out of the building, after Curt Stallion gave it a "Michael Elgin - A Great Lad" speech. Thoroughly rejected. So it's not a "vocal minority" of "the worst kind of well-meaners", English speaking fans at large who can make their own minds up don't want to see the guy anymore.

Archived