Umaga - great gimmick, but a bit of a rapist.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Heard a story about Boris Zukov forgetting to rewind the VHS of Event Horizon and getting a rather small fine at Blockbuster. Sometimes you wonder why you bother following this form of entertainment with characters like that?

What didn't get reported at the time was the Blockbuster employee was so enraged, he swung a fire extinguisher at his massive head.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

What I wouldn't do to be able to tie Vince to a chair and give him truth serum

"First question - whose idea was Irwin R Schyster's Top Ten Tax Tips?"

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, David said:

I thought you had ambitions to be a copywriter? Or have you decided that journalism is the way to go?

Journalism is the long term plan. By May-ish 2020 I should have a BA in Journalism and Media and an MA/MSc in Digital Journalism, with a heavy focus on data driven journalism. Copywriting is something I'm doing on and off just to, well, improve my writing in general and also give me some potential opportunities in industry journalism.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I'm not saying all journalists are cunts, I'm saying being a cunt and a journalists isn't a rare thing and many credible journalists and credible outlets push an agenda or overlook facts to protect or support benefactors or owners interests as well as journalists own perception when they should eat humble pie. 

I'm sorry this isn't in line with the mid term tutorials but is a sad fact which is common place enough to make your first comment seem overly idealistic. 

It might be easier to observe and debunk in wrestling, I'll give you that. 

Edit:

But no real journalist, no journalist with ethics - shit, journalistic ethics is like lesson one of journalism school - or morals, would turn a blind eye to some of the shit we all know about just because he happens to like the person involved

Many journalists turn a blind eye or push a non item because they like a person, or like thier money or influence more likely, but the end result remains the same

I'm not sure what you mean by "mid term tutorials" but you're probably right that I have an idealistic view of how journalists should behave. It's a shame that I can't say that all journalists hold themselves to a certain standard. But there's a generation of them coming up now that do hold themselves to that standard, I've seen it with my own eyes. Could be that down the line something - money, influences and agendas above them, whatever - warp that. You might even go as far as to say that it's inevitable. What it ultimately comes down to is the character of each, individual journalist.

I was lucky. One of the first journalists that I was ever taught by was a guy who worked for the ANC during apartied. He saw friends and colleagues murdered for investigating stories the apartied regime didn't want investigated. His very first lesson was about journalistic ethics, and I took it to heart. Stand up for the truth, hold the powerful to account, never give up your sources (even if it means going to jail). I took all of it to heart. May be I never get any further than a lowly staff job on a local newspaper (if there are any left, the way things are going), but at least I know - and will, where I can, pass it along - that being a journalist means something. And that there are certain lines you don't cross.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

"Proper" journalists don't double post.

Multi quotes don't work for me on mobile. I also never claimed to be a proper journalist. I haven't even claimed to be a journalist, proper or otherwise.

24 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Journalism is the long term plan. By May-ish 2020 I should have a BA in Journalism and Media and an MA/MSc in Digital Journalism, with a heavy focus on data driven journalism. Copywriting is something I'm doing on and off just to, well, improve my writing in general and also give me some potential opportunities in industry journalism.

Drop your morals in the trash and forget journalism. Copywriting is where the dough is, especially if you don't really have any great qualms about stretching the truth and putting a spin on things.

Oh, and very rarely do copywriters get murdered or kidnapped, although it could be said that they're far more deserving of it than journo's.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, David said:

Drop your morals in the trash and forget journalism. Copywriting is where the dough is, especially if you don't really have any great qualms about stretching the truth and putting a spin on things.

Oh, and very rarely do copywriters get murdered or kidnapped, although it could be said that they're far more deserving of it than journo's.

Oh, I know there's no money in journalism. But money is not a huge issue for me. I'm in the fortunate position of owning my own place, with no mortgage, and very small other regular outgoings. So I can afford to attempt to do something I actually care about, something where I wake up in the morning looking forward to the day ahead, not dreading it.

Far as getting kidnapped or murder goes? Shit happens.

Ah, Keith. I have to give you some credit there. Wasn't sure how you'd squeeze a citizenship jibe into this discussion. Although not sure how I'd be stretching the truth.

Archived