First trip to the cinema

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

What did you see in your first trip to the cinema that you remember? Was it any good? What was the theatre like? 

I could be wrong, but I think the first thing I saw in the cinema was James and the Giant Peach at the Showcase in Bristol. From recollection, I didn't like the film very much and was far more interested in getting a bag full of sweets and going to the bowling alley next door afterwards (that we didn't do because we couldn't afford it). I was allowed one go on the Jurassic Park shooting game instead. 

I have much more fond and vivid memories of Space Jam a few months later, which I can still watch fondly 20 years later.

This was far from the most notable Showcase in Bristol memory. A few years later, I went with Dad to watch the shite Inspector Gadget film with Ferris Beuller in it. My Dad grabbed a handful of chocolates from the Celebrations tub he smuggled in and temporarily forgot that he was violently allergic to peanuts. About ten minutes later, he starts panting and sweating and proceeds to projectile vomit all over  person sitting in front of him. Ambulances were called and I stayed the rest of the weekend at my Mum's. That was the last time he took me to the Showcase until Toy Story 2, by which point he'd dyed his hair and grown a beard so no one there remembered him.  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Kindergarten Cop. I was 11. Went with a mate and some big kids threw Malteasers at us for the second half of the film. At the end we shouted something at them and had to leg it.

A couple of months later, I went to Amsterdam on the ferry. It had an onboard cinema which was showing ... Kindergarten Cop. So it was my first and second film at the cinema.

• Paid Members

My parents never drove and they weren't really the cinema types (weren't really into doing anything that involved leaving the house really) so the first film I ever saw in the Cinema was Jurrasic Park, and that was because Steve O'Callaghan's Mam took us. 

Anyways, the cinema was a one screen effort. A total dive, but it's still knocking on today in its original form. Jurassic Psrk fucking blew me away. What a first time big screen experience that was. Probably why I still look back on the film with so much fondness all these years later. 

Damn near shit a brick when the T Rex busts out the pen. Oh and I'd probably be best off not mentioning this but when the caption '25 million years in the making' appeared, I actually believed it took that long to MAKE THE FILM, and I probably believed that up until I was about 13.

All Dogs Go To Heaven at what used to be the Cecil Cinema, which is now a Mecca Bingo. It was a proper old timey cinema which originally opened in 1911 before being demolished and redesigned in 1925. It was bombed in World War 2 but renovated an re-opened in the 50s, held around 2,000 people. It stopped as a full time cinema in 1992, but showed things every no and again into the mid 90s as I remember seeing the first Powers Rangers movie there too.

UCI was the king of the cinemas when I was a kid though, but then that went in 2004

It was The Land Before Time at Theatre Clwyd and it traumatised my little brain. The next two were Back to the Future 2 and Ghostbusters 2. No idea of the dates as the theatre never had new releases.

Then another cinema opened and it turned out to be run by a local serial killer.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

All Dogs Go To Heaven at what used to be the Cecil Cinema, which is now a Mecca Bingo. It was a proper old timey cinema which originally opened in 1911 before being demolished and redesigned in 1925. It was bombed in World War 2 but renovated an re-opened in the 50s, held around 2,000 people. It stopped as a full time cinema in 1992, but showed things every no and again into the mid 90s as I remember seeing the first Powers Rangers movie there too.

UCI was the king of the cinemas when I was a kid though, but then that went in 2004

Cecil was my first too. I'd have said it was Odeon up the road but your post has just made me realise it wasn't. Don't think I ever went to UCI. Went bowling a couple of times next door but never to the cinema. I've never been to the Cinema with my parents, only ever went with mates so it was always somewhere in walking distance from town.

• Paid Members

Star Wars Episode 1. 

I wasn't a big fan of Star Wars, in fact this may have been the first one I'd seen. I can't remember exactly when, I think it was during some big underwater bit with Jar Jar Binks, but 9 year old me had a massive panic attack and ran out of the aisle crying and screaming that I couldn't breathe.

Jurassic Park at the local cinema in town, it was run by Cannon at the time 

My Dad took me, My older Brother and sister, its actually my first memory of doing anything with him after splitting from my mum the previous year

I was only approaching 6 at the time but I was never scared of the dinosaurs or anything and me and my brother were obsessed the rest of the summer after the movie ad had all the tie ins, Books, Lunch boxes, Board games, we had the lot

My sister on the other hand felt sick halfway through and My dad had to take her out

The Cannon was brought out by ABC who tookover in the mid 90s and then Odeon took over the running around the turn of the century which it remains as to this day which on a side note I actually visited yesterday to see A Star is Born with my wife.

Loads of memories of the cinema in that one building, My first memory of being with my dad, me and my wife actually had our 1st date at that Cinema as well almost a decade ago now, took my Daughter to her 1st Cinema trip (Findng Dory) there as well

• Paid Members

The Aristocats. Looking at its release history on IMDB it must have been after the March 1994 re-release, but I would have sworn it was earlier/I was younger than five. I don’t really remember much from the film, but it was at Darlington’s then-ABC cinema.

My first was Back to the Future 2 at an Odeon in Nottingham. My dad rented part 1 for us to watch the night before.  I still remember how exciting it was to be in the cinema, the smell of popcorn, the lights and sounds and how they excited 5 year old me.  I went through my bucket of popcorn before the trailers had ended and was blown away by watching something on such a massive screen. It's why, even today, I make an effort to watch movies in the cinema.  I've managed to rope in my popcorn consumption over the years and can now make a bucket last the whole film.

• Paid Members

Sweet idea for a thread. My first trip to the cinema was to see the care bears movie, I was extremely young but remember bringing a small yellow care bear figurine with me. I also remember my brother taking me to see flight of the navigator when I was 5 or 6, it was a very eventful trip, I dropped my hot dog and we went to a local toy shop after and I got a cool Action Force figure.

Archived