First trip to the cinema

Gus Mears

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

The first film I went to the pictures to see was Hook, loved it as a kid and still do now to be fair I managedvto catch it on the telly the other week. I remember getting the vhs as well as a part of some McDonalds deal Im sure

I remember Hook was always being shown at school on one of them TV's on the trolleys. There wasn't many choices but usually at least once a year (or term I cannot remember) they would do a movie thing after school or as a treat during school. I cannot remember for the life of me what other VHS's they had though. 

• Paid Members

First film I went to see was The Lion King, at Beverley Picture Playhouse. 

Among the kids at school, going to the cinema in Beverley was akin to showing up to PE with your Fila trainers in a Lidl carrier bag. The proper cinema was the Odeon (IIRC) in Hull, the Playhouse was this little old fashioned place that only got films after they'd stopped screening in Hull - which felt like a lifetime, but was probably only a month or two. But, more importantly, was after everyone else had seen it.

I can't quite remember what the first film I saw at the Odeon was - maybe Power Rangers? - but I know I went with my posh mates (two brothers who lived in the same village as me, and went to a public school), and threw up in the back of their Mum's expensive car.

• Paid Members

Last time I went to the Playhouse was to see Armageddon (Bruce Willis vs. Meteors, not Trips vs. Vince). What would that be? 1998? Raffle ticket to show you'd paid. Rickety steps. Worse seats. One of those Ice Cream ladies you get at the theatre. Proper experience that.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

First film I went to see was The Lion King

Take this as a compliment, Pat, but I took you for a lot older than that.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Cant recall which was my first trip to the cinema, but my earliest film i can remember going to see was Mr Nanny. :cry: Does anyone else recall going to the cinema with their parents and their dad falling asleep? Every single time my dad came with me and my mum, he would be asleep within 15 mins!

DpKN28RV4AA81-S.jpg

We went to see, an admittedly terrible, version of a Christmas Carol. Dad fell asleep and woke up some time around the Ghost of Christmas Past and proceeded to loudly say: 'This is right shit. I've had enough', before dragging a young Gus Mears out of the cinema.

Home Alone

5 year old SuperBacon: "WOW!!!This place is HUGE!!!!"

Papa SuperBacon: "...bloody rip off for popcorn, should've stayed at home and watched Tour Of Duty.."

5 year old SuperBacon: "Dad, these chairs are a bit high aren't they?"

Papa SuperBacon: " You have to pull them down you lemon, you're sitting on the top of it"

5 year old SuperBacon flips the seat down and sends the wholebox of popcorn everywhere. Doesn't get another one. This story is repeated by my Dad at least 54 times a year.

I have vivid memories of my first cinema trip where my dad took me, my brother and a couple of my cousins to see Fantasia at the (former) UCI in Clydebank. I only remember little bits of the film, with the stronger memories being things like getting up and walking around in the aisles, my cousin spilling her coke all over herself, and my dad falling asleep. The thing that's fucking with me now is that I know fine well it was Fantasia, but according to the net, the only release date that adds up is Christmas of 1990. I was barely 2 then. So unless there was another re-release of it a year or two later that no-one else in the world seems to be aware of, this would also be my earliest memory.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

5 year old SuperBacon: "Dad, these chairs are a bit high aren't they?"

Papa SuperBacon: " You have to pull them down you lemon, you're sitting on the top of it"

I did the exact same thing on my first cinema visit, and my Dad didn't stop taking the piss out of me for weeks.

It was the Summer of 1991, and I had just turned six. For a birthday treat, the old man (who was about 27 at the time, so not that old) took me to the cinema as a treat. I told Dad that I wanted to watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret Of The Ooze. He was hesitant, but agreed. 

We got to the cinema and I was more pumped up than Kriss Akabusi on cocaine. I was going to see the long awaited sequel of a movie featuring my heroes (Turtles). But my Dad had a trick up his sleeve... 

We got to one of the screening rooms. I was thrilled. I was going to see The Turtles chin Kevin Nash as Super Shredder, but then as the Certificate flashed up on the screen, my face went from excited to furious... 

The certificate read "ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES". I thought this was a mistake. "Dad, what the fuck?!" I would have said if those words were in my vocabulary at the time. Then the opening credits to that very same movie appeared, I knew that I just had to eat shit and like it. 

Except I didn't. I hated that fucking Bryan Adams song at the time (Now I can fully appreciate it as a safe tune mate), and now this happened. Sittong through two hours of absolute medieval balls. 

I've had a hate for Kevin Costner ever since. My Dad is a git for doing that. 

• Paid Members

At least my eldest daughter was started the right way with her first trip to the cinema - The Lego Movie. So she didn't get the awful start that I got with sodding Mac and Me.

40 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

My dad did something similar, we went to watch The Rocketeer and he 'accidentally' ended up in Naked Gun 2 1/2. 

10 year old me was well happy, my 8 year old brother a little less so.

Conversely, I tried to get in to see Terminator: 2 but my fake ID was shit so we had to settle for The Rocketeer instead.

Edit: I have a strong memory of seeing The Dark Crystal in the cinema, so quite possibly that was my first ever visit as that would have been 1982.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

At least my eldest daughter was started the right way with her first trip to the cinema - The Lego Movie. So she didn't get the awful start that I got with sodding Mac and Me.

I'm having a hard time remembering my eldests. I thought about yesterday with the funny comments about Dads falling asleep (I fell asleep during Muppets, Wreck It Ralph (despite it being awesome) and that one with the big blue people). It was either Princess and the Frog (not bad) or The Hannah Montana Movie (poor kid). The youngest one was Cars 3 which is great.

I can't remember because we've been quite often. My first was when I was 11 as mentioned earlier. She'd been 30 times at least by that age.

Archived