First trip to the cinema

Gus Mears

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I remember going to see a Ghostbusters and Stripes double bill in the Adelphi in Dublin when I was 4 or 5, and my da panicking, jazz handing and shuttling us out of the cinema when a load of diddies covered in mud popped up on the screen during Stripes.
I didn't know what was going on.

My da was great though. He used to bring me to see things he wanted to see, that was so age inappropriate for me. Stuff like Raising Arizona, Platoon, Lethal Weapon, Monster Squad, Back to School, The Mission and Hamburger Hill being some standouts.

I know I was brought to ET a few times, but I was far too young to remember that.

• Paid Members

I'm having a bit of a 'mare trying to remember if this was my first trip or not, but the first I can remember had a bit of an embarrassing moment for young Cod Eye. I had gone with my elder female cousin to see the Transformers movie(the real, animated one with an amazing soundtrack) and at our local Odeon they used to play music videos before the trailers started(back in 1986/7). Well, before the trailers started on this occasion, the cinema decided to play "Material Girl" by Madonna. 

Now, bare in mind I was 7 fish at this point and we had all just started learning about sex and the like through the playground grapevine, so my interest was immediately piqued by the sight of this blond woman dancing around sexily on screen and I got a little stiffy. It's ok though, I thought, I'll cover the bump in my trousers up with the bag of over priced pick-n-mix we had got. Foolproof plan, I thought. That is until my cousin decided she wanted a sweet and while going for the bag got a handful of my pre-pubescant hard on. I've never seen anyone recoil in horror so quickly in my life!

We watched the film, got the bus home and she dropped me off in complete silence. I'm still mortified by the incident, and just can bring myself to watch the film again...

In primary school (about 10) me and a mate went on a double-date with Paula and Gemma to the cinema. They wanted to see The Addams Family, we wanted to see Suburban Commando. Hogan won that round and ruined any potential pre-teen relationships. 

• Paid Members

I remember seeing Jungle Book at the cinema. Must've been an early 90's re-release or a special screening because I'm not that bloody old.

Apart from that, I can also remember seeing Nightmare Before Christmas. Yep, I saw it when it first came out, long before all the goffs got a hold of it and never let it go.

I have great memories of the cinema during my childhood as my Dad or Grandad would take me regularly. Space Jam, Godzilla, Mr.Bean, Power Rangers, Batman Forever, Mission Impossible, Toy Story, Dragon Heart. I feel lucky to have seen these on the big screen through naive eyes.

My mind's telling me it was Baby's Day Out (shite) but I'm not sure that's right, there may have been something before but that's the earliest I can rememeber. I vividly remember going to see The Pagemaster after that and again that was utter shite so I wasn't having the best luck until finally, Power Rangers! Even if it was bad I didn't care at the time and dug all the new suits etc and Ivan Ooze was funny as fuck.

• Awards Moderator

According to my mum, the first cinema trip was The Little Mermaid, but all I can remember from that was getting a little Prince Eric toy in a Happy Meal afterwards.

There were probably a couple of other Disneys after that but the first one I properly remember was Jurassic Park. We went with parents, grandparents and my sister (3 at the time) and both she and I were unfazed by the dinosaurs while the grownups were scared. It's never not been one of my favourite films.

Another early memory is my dad and I at the UCI before it became a Warner Bros, mum and sister went to Fern Gully but we went to see The Mask - which, from just checking the UK release date, might have been for my 7th birthday. I've always thought of The Mask as a kid's film because of when I saw it, but probably if I watched it now there'd be a lot I understand that I didn't back then...

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Another early memory is my dad and I at the UCI before it became a Warner Bros, mum and sister went to Fern Gully but we went to see The Mask - which, from just checking the UK release date, might have been for my 7th birthday. I've always thought of The Mask as a kid's film because of when I saw it, but probably if I watched it now there'd be a lot I understand that I didn't back then...

The Mask was one of the first films I ever had on VHS and, subsequently, Cameron Diaz became my first childhood crush. Not a bad start.

• Paid Members

Super Mario Brothers, and given around the same time I'd have seen Jurassic Park it's odd I remember the shit Mario Bros but not what little I stayed awake for of Jurassic Park. 

First film I really remember though was The Pagemaster, which I remember really well for saying it's a bit crap. That said if Super Mario Brothers is your start point it's all up hill. 

We always went on holiday to a really old cinema in the nearest town and saw something. It was all red velvet and really steep and narrow in each screen.

Archived