VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

Maxwell, you've been doing it all wrong. If you want to convert folk to veganism, all you have to do is post a video of Piers Morgan being an insufferable prick to three young women on national tv.

Fucking state of him.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Maxwell, you've been doing it all wrong. If you want to convert folk to veganism, all you have to do is post a video of Piers Morgan being an insufferable prick to three young women on national tv.

Fucking state of him.

If anything this just helped the Vegan movement by making him look so dumb. Kayode was making some good points as well. He came across really well on The Apprentice.

• Paid Members

If you read the full story (link below, there are more in-depth accounts but I'm not linking to the Standard or the Mail, and honestly I don't know how much I trust their version)  it seems like getting that reaction from Piers Morgan and getting on GMB is exactly what you're after if you're pulling a stunt like that. I'm sure they had no expectations of converting anyone eating in a steakhouse, but the publicity (and the exposure/platform) is the real win, and fair play to them for it. Morgan is an utter buffoon. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/vegan-protest-activists-steakhouse-touro-brighton-recording-cow-animal-rights-a8654381.html

Weirdly, the idea of them playing animal screams in a steakhouse made me laugh, not because of the screams, but just the absurdity of the situation. It feels like a Brass Eye skit

Somewhat related, but I do enjoy extremist tactics by activists when they end up being on a hilariously small scale.

A friend of mine once told us a story about his former flatmate who was in an activist group protesting the effects of air travel. So they went out after months of planning to execute their big protest. Super gluing the locks of Lunn Polly closed to disrupt their business. 

They were open the same day by 9.15.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, mim731 said:

A friend of mine once told us a story about his former flatmate who was in an activist group protesting the effects of air travel. So they went out after months of planning to execute their big protest. Super gluing the locks of Lunn Polly closed to disrupt their business. 

They were open the same day by 9.15.

Wonderful.

There was a hoo-haa outside of Newcastle city centre a few years ago in which 2 protesters were trying to prevent diggers from excavating trees. They chained themselves to one of the trees and waiting until the workmen turned up. Two coppers turned up and said “You’re chained to the wrong tree, they’re digging those ones over there”. So the protesters had to watch from 50 yards away, chained to a tree, as the diggers removed a total of 2 trees.

The protesters were later told that the 2 trees were apparently disease ridden and needed to be removed to prevent further contamination.

I’m all for the prevention of unnecessary felling, but do your fucking homework.

9 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

I like the way they protested in Waitrose in Brighton. Hardcore. Bunch of clowns.

Given the white middle classness of veganism in this country, it’s the prime recruitment ground. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

2 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Privileged little daddies girls preaching to people about what and what not to do. No wonder theres a stigma to Vegans.  

This being?

So I said last week that I’d do some stuff from home rather than eating out to highlight how much money you can actually save by going vegan. 

Obviously I totally forgot it was Christmas which has taken priority. However I just had a little bit of time free so I decided to try something out which would be useful for anyone in a low income house hold. One of the first things mentioned was milk and how a household with multiple kids wouldn’t be able to afford milk substitutes.

So went and bought a blender, oats, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Stick the oats in a water for half hour, chuck one cup of oats in a blender with four cups of water, blend it, add the maple syrup and vanilla, blend again. Sieve out any bits and you got a litre of milk from the comfort of your own home. Excluding time with them soaking it was quicker than walking to the local shop. 

Using value priced oats from Tesco you are looking at about between 10p and 20p  for a litre of milk. Pretty healthy and super easy. Googling how to make oatmilk brings up a fuck ton of options and variables. Almond milk is just as easy except it has to soak over night and soy milk requires ten minutes of taking the skins off the soy beans. 

milk-alternatives1.png?resize=736,504

I was gonna post a photo of what I made, but it’s literally just a glass of milk so ain’t gonna look very impressive. Only drawback is needing access to a blender, I picked one up for £25, but that would be a harder investment for someone on a shoe string budget unless they know someone they could borrow one from.

Kat, I love the thought you've given to this and the effort. Honestly though, the families who I've been talking about don't just not have the 25 quid. They don't have time or the inclination to make milk like that. I've never tried it but I'd be amazed if the taste wasn't quite different too. 

That said, if you're asking people to consider switching to a plant based diet it would be helpful to have more stuff like your mini experiment here. It would for me anyway. 

We have a decent shopping budget in our house but time is limited. However, we're thinking of giving a vegan diet a go for a couple of days a week once we're back at work after the break. More from a health perspective than an ethical one if I'm being honest.