Big Brother is ending. Favourite moments?

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

The love... octagon? of that year was unbelievably well-constructed. Noirin at the centre of it all as Sree hits on her, with Marcus laughing at his feeble attempts, so obviously in love with her himself. At the point Marcus was unable to stop his feelings from bleeding over into outbursts and comments, she kisses his bestie Siavash. They try to keep it secret, but Marcus finds out and feels heartbroken and betrayed, and Siavash thinks he and Noirin are together now, and at that moment, BB bring in her real-life, outside boyfriend, a cocky American bro, whose first words as he literally sweeps her into his arms are "Daddy's home," as Marcus and Siavash catch each other's eyes with an "oh no..."

Bea's sudden turn into outright sociopathy was amazing too. In my mind, in terms of the daily pacing of the soap opera alone, that season possibly even tops the greatness of 5 and 6.

I always forget about how good this series was but it really was and I remember talking with you on here about what a cunt Marcus was too. I think it was probably the most under-appreciated of all of them, mainly because of the fact that it worked on lots of small moments rather than loads of big fights and stuff like that.

I'd forgot about Halfwit going all theatrical during one of his moaning sessions, this was great:-

• Paid Members

With series 4, I just could never get past how unbelievably boring Cameron Stout was. He remains the only Big Brother contestant my Gran has ever voted for; 'he's such a nice young man' etc. etc.

In a world of reality TV shows being filled with nutters and people willing to prostitute any shred of dignity for their 15 minutes of fame, the slow build of series 4 and dullards like Cameron would probably work quite well.

For a young Gus Mears, series 5 with slaps, baps and Ahmed running wild was always going to end up banishing 4 to memory pretty sharpish. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I think Series 10 was the last series on Channel 4 that I watched properly. I was working nights at the time, living by myself, and used to get in around 7am and have a bite to eat (or possiby get pissed) which watching the previous nights episode of the Sree, Noirin, Marcus and Shiavash show. It was good fun. I remember the producers played Hungry Life The Wolf in for Marcus one night they were having a party and he was in a strop.

I have watched one or two regular seasons and a few Celebrity editions since the move to C5 - obviously the Jim Davidson year stands out there - but generally C5 couldn't recapture the magic that had already been kind of lost on C4. Having said that, I don't get at all why a show like Love Island - which to me seems like one Big Brother task writ large - can be so popualr and nobody being able to find a way to make Big Brother worthwhile again. I said this when C4 put the show out to pasture. They needed to go back to basics but carried on even further with the crazy tasks, swerves and everything else. Which is why in actuality I think Series 1 will always be my favourite. Watching the buildup and the payoff to Nick getting caught and his subsequent tearful exit via the back door was fantastic. And people *cared* about the fact that he had cheated on this TV show. I remember the tabloid front pages about it like it was yesterday.

• Paid Members

There are just to many, this thread could run for fucking days. Marco two footing his own mother when he exited the house is hilarious. They did an interview with the contestants when BB finished back in 2010, and years of being called a cunt have humbled him so much. He looked like a man who had came out of prison and found religion. Ahmed being asked by Davina "what type of sandwich would you be?" and Ahmed taking that as some sort of sexual advance pre-watershed and replying "a baguette" while squeezing his cock was memorable. Jade Goody killing her career will be with me until I pass on.

The first Big Brother was fantastic. Everyone was themselves. Andy was a cunt, who thought he was the dogs bollocks, but in reality everyone thought he was a drip with no personality. It was a surprise that Caroline and Nicola passed the psychological tests, because they were having nervous breakdowns each day. Mel was an unashamed slag. Everyone bloke who left the house, she snogged. Nasty Nick was hardly a master manipulator to get this dense lot onside.

The Jungle Cats of course. I just remember staying up all through that summer. Euro 2004, followed by an all night stint watching Jason and Victor's late night chats on the live feed. It was like getting a subscription to the Observer. Everyone else was watching the normal version where Nadia and Michelle Bass were painted as lovely people, and you then had the inside scoop on how great Victor and Jason were on the live feed in constast to the edited version at 10pm.

Fight Night was the best thing ever at the time. A genuine sense that anything could happen. Marco telling Jason "I might not clean it up" and Jason replying with "and I might just knock you the fuck out." Nadia smacked Jason in the face. Amazing how she didnt get kicked out for that.

Ultimate Big Brother was genuinely brilliant. All the former heels turned babyface and the biggest cunts were exposed as such. Nadia ended her career there and then. An overly aggressive bully. Nick and Victor's side show, of Big Brothers Little Brothers cousin was great viewing, too. It was a fitting end to the show.

The Channel 5 version, has been dog shit. They put a music soundtrack over the top of it. The editing was so poor, the fag ends kept growing during conversations, making it blatant this was a fit up. The only one that was good was the Jim Davidson, Lionel Blair, Lee Ryan one. Everyone in the house seemed to perform as if their careers depended on it. And they all delivered.

Big Brother was one of the best shows on TV. Fascinating viewing at its best and hide behind your sofa cringe worthy at its worst. Probably for the best its disappearing, because Channel 5 have no idea what they're doing with it.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

The alliance didn't really amount to much, but Nick's nervous, almost childlike laughter as he begins to realize that Vic is slowly talking him into cheating again is something to behold. 

"We make it to the end, get the pantomime boos, and fuck off."

Big Brother had the coolest title sequences for years, too. Big Mouth during the Pete and Nikki season was a universe unto itself, and I can never truly hate Russel Brand because of it. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

That triple post is going to ruin @Keith Houchen's weekend.

I wouldn't have seen it had you not tagged me, you absolute bastard

6 minutes ago, Porkchopcash said:

Cameron got the wee jockies vote. Much like the strictly winner last year. 

Same with any show where the public vote.  The porridge wogs always see it as getting it right up the English by getting one of their own as a contender, same for the potato wogs.  Shows a huge national inferiority complex, doesn't it.

• Paid Members

So this thread sent me searching for the season 5 closing video, only to find that THE ENTIRETY OF SEASON FIVE AND ASSOCIATED SECONDARY PROGRAMMING IS ON YOUTUBE. (Except, annoyingly the last part of the live final.)

Fortunately said closing video is still up:

Edited by JNLister

• Moderators

We shan't ever see the like of those peak few years again. Nightly magic for months on end, with Russell Brand putting out genuinely great and super weird stuff after each episode, and live feeds running through the night. That's your golden age of television.

The mention of Halfwit reminded me of his improvised jazz song during some kind of talent night. "It's sex outside weather, shooby dooby doo..."

Derek was one of my all-time favourites. Love the time he pretended to a really confused Kinga* he could see a monkey clambering about on the ceiling. "Look at its little face!"

*the hottest housemate ever, bottle up her chuff or not

Oh and I feel I must share my anecdote again about the time I saw Michelle Bass, who lives down here now, at an art exhibition, looking at, among other exhibits, a painting I'd done of Ross Kemp.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Oh shit, the video Lister posted reminded me of "Jarvis Cocker licking piss off a nettle" Kitten. Who came into the house and was voted straight out. Tried her best to be the most controversial housemate ever, and wouldnt even make the top five that year.

Best bit from Kitten was when she was evicted and she climbed on the roof. All the housemates were like "stay, dont worry, we'll have your back." Until the money started going down and they changed their tune instantly.

• Paid Members

The first series was worth watching as a compelling social experiment. There are elements of the Nick being found out episode me and my best mate like to quote verbatim for no apparent reason. It's fun to say "I've made a mistake" and "You live by the sword, you die by the sword" with his tone and inflection and we don't know why. Plus the assembled masses taking three or four goes to understand Tom's pronunciation of "traitor" cracked me up.

The rest of the series that I was forced to watch by friends/girlfriends, I by and large forget. Apart from Victor Ebuwu, "rapper slash part time hitman." A few bits that everyone remembers so aren't worth mentioning like Alex miming to KC and The Sunshine Band. Ziggy actually using "It's not you, it's me" to Chanelle, like that's something real people say.

Most of what I remember is actually conversation about the show as opposed to anything that happened. Or crap tabloid headlines like "Michelle has mouthful of chicken Stu" - HAHAHAHAHA IT MEANS BLOWJOB HAHAHA. I still remember receiving a text from my best mate furiously demanding to know "Who names their child Ziggy or Science?? Or even Pete??" He had a point.

Anything after Chaniggy, I didn't bother with. Ran it's course early for me. Never been keen on watching real life twats being twats for my escapism.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

I haven't watched it in years, that Nasty Nick confrontation is fantastic. He reacts like Robert Durst, all weird blinking face spasms. I'm amazed he didn't let out a giant burp. I remember staying at my mates for the weekend, we watched this and I think Spaced or Adam and Joe was on later in the evening. Great fucking days. 

EDIT: Fucking Darren being obviously pissed off he wasn't shown any names as well, hilarious. 

Edited by gmoney