Big Brother is ending. Favourite moments?

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

There was something really great about returns to Big Brother exposing both Jade and Nadia for the dickheads they always were. It was most likely the producers who decided to bring them down a peg or two, but as a viewer who had to watch these pricks be celebrated on their first go, it was immensely satisfying to see it all come crumbling down.

Edited by Supremo

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Jo from S Club came off the worst in that whole debacle, if I recall. Davina basically had to walk her through what she had done, why it was wrong, and why it mattered.

"It's been made to look bad."

"It was pretty bad."

"Then I don't know what to say."

Danielle Lloyd, by virtue of being page 3 fodder for the same tabloids that lead the charge against Jade, got off totally scot free, despite the worst comment of the lot of "she should just fuck off home."

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

Just been watching the episode of Sezar being kicked out, and it's really left me wanting to watch other great big brother episodes. Are there any on particular that stands out that I can watch on YouTube?

It's an incredible episode. Lea was absolutely convinced she was going, Sezer was sat on the couch chewing his gum like he'd not even been put up and then when she called his name his mouth just dropped open like you couldn't have drawn it more comically if it was a cartoon. An all-time favourite episode.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Supremo said:

There was something really great about returns to Big Brother exposing both Jade and Nadia for the dickheads they always were. It was mostly likely the producers who decided to bring them down a peg or two, but as a viewer who had to watch these pricks be celebrated on their first go, it was immensely satisfying to see it all come crumbling down.

I always loved the story that was posted on the old Popbitch board by someone working on it about how hated Charlie from BB10 was by the production crew. This prick.

5Gc6xyO.jpg

The whole time he was there, he'd go in the diary room every day, in a wig and dress, to do his character 'Geordie Nan', clearly thinking it'd be a big thing when he came out, and was maybe even the passport to a Geordie Nan show. He was so despised, they didn't air a single second of it.

Also, famously, Craig from BB1 used to openly wank in front of the bathroom mirror while singing "it's only a gameshow, it's only a gameshow!" knowing it would never be shown.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

One more, then: Science being an incredible wind up merchant. 

I probably cracked one off to Orla more times than I remember on the live feed that year, barreling into puberty so I was. She was my favorite until Sara in series 9. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

It sounds daft but I'd love to read an "insiders" perspective about the first time Jade Goody was in Big Brother. The hate that the media stirred up against her was insane. I remember reading, when it looked like she was getting evicted, that there was a real fear that a mob were going to try and kill her.

Next thing you know, everybody was going "Ah we all love Jade really" and suddenly she was a "beloved" celebrity with a "heart of gold".

Speaking of Jade, I remember an incredible article about people complaining that Channel 4 cut away from the live feed when she got her fanny out. One guy was quoted along the lines of "I'd have preferred Kate Lawler, obviously, but beggars can't be choosers".

Reading through this thread, I forgot how much I've loved Big Brother in the past. I still think about Tim yelling "You are discriminating against people who wear contact lenses!!!"  or Victor referring to Nadia as "Hackjaw Jim Duggan".

The only celebrity one I can remember is coming very close to voting for Chantelle(?) because it honestly seemed like fucking Barrymore was going to win as part of a redemption story. Fuck that.

I didn't watch the series but surely "David is dead" has to be one of the best Big Brother moments of all time?

• Moderators

All this got me thinking about Mario and Lisa again. Mario's such a fascinating idiot. Not even Italian, his real name's Shaun, but people said he looked a bit like Rocky, so he went full gimmick and changed his name to Mario Marconi. That's what kills me. Mario Marconi. The thought process behind that is astounding. "Well obviously Mario's the most Italian name, so I've got to go with that. What else sounds Italian... ah yes!" Maybe there's some Italian out there trying to get the girls by pretending to be Ian Radio from London.

She's since made a career out of being photographed in the Sun with her tits hanging out putting out the bins, or eating a sausage like it's a cock, in those weird symbiotic tabloid relationships where the Sun pay to have her pose in those shots so they can print them under headlines like "look at this fucking loser, trying to get in the papers with her tits out on bin night!"

If anyone's unfamiliar with it, the story of Mario and Lisa separating is fucking insane. The pair of them only ever wanted to be famous, and previous to BB, Mario had gone on on Bravo's Brits Behind Bars, where British 'criminals' got sent to a tough American jail to help them sober up into a straight life. He wasn't a criminal, but lied to producers about a criminal past to get on there. Late 90's/Early 2000s Britwres face Jem 'MTX' Brown/Mikey the Pikey was another contestant.

Post BB, Mario and Lisa hooked up with a big producer who signed them to their own reality show, which had been the goal all along. They filmed 18 hours a day for months and months, followed everywhere by a camera crew, including stuff where they were filmed having plastic surgery and recording a charity single. But the 'producer' was a serial conman, there was no show, and during all the months of shooting, the cameras had never even been recording. They lost everything.

Also

In February 2009, Mario received minor local press attention after he and fiancé Lisa Appleton found a Pecan Weevil in a bowl of Kellogs' Crunchy Nut Cornflakes.

• Paid Members

In February 2009, Mario received minor local press attention after he and fiancé Lisa Appleton found a Pecan Weevil in a bowl of Kellogs' Crunchy Nut Cornflakes.

It's a travesty the documentary crew were fake and we will never get to see their weevil based terror

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Wasn't that to do with her having terminal cancer?

I think he means the first time. When she came out of BB3, she was a beloved dunce, but the weeks before that, the eviction crowds had signs of her with a photoshopped pig's snout and so on. I can't remember what changed public opinion.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Wasn't that to do with her having terminal cancer?

I think he’s referring to the first time she was on the show. At first, she was absolutely hated but the tide completely turned by the time she came out.

Cynically, I always thought the editors shat themselves over what a hate figure they’d created, so did their best to make her endearing from then onwards.

Edited by Supremo

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Supremo said:

I think he’s referring to the first time she was on the show. At first, she was absolutely hated but the tide completely turned by the time she came out.

Cynically, I always thought the editors shat themselves over what a hate figure they’d created, so did their best to make her endearing from then onwards.

It's funny looking back, but anyone who didn't see it back then reading this is probably imagining crazy booing and chanting, but it was still pretty tame around BB3. Once those first "GET GRACE OUT!" chants were heard, and reacted to by the housemates, the smoke was out of the bottle, and the crowd turned on heel housemates really loudly and viciously. That's when it became outright tabloid-lynching panto, and there was no going back.

Even though it's quite some series into the run, I'm pretty sure that was the first "get (housemate) out!" chant, after which every disliked housemate got until the end of the run.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

It's funny looking back, but anyone who didn't see it back then reading this is probably imagining crazy booing and chanting, but it was still pretty tame around BB3. Once those first "GET GRACE OUT!" chants were heard, and reacted to by the housemates, the smoke was out of the bottle, and the crowd turned on heel housemates really loudly and viciously. That's when it became outright tabloid-lynching panto, and there was no going back.

Even though it's quite some series into the run, I'm pretty sure that was the first "get (housemate) out!" chant, after which every disliked housemate got until the end of the run.

Yeah it was. I remember watching it thinking that Big Brother's audience had turned into a wrestling crowd. There was even some talk that they were going to have Davina do the announcements from the studio so that the housemates remained unaware of public opinion on them after that because Grace shit herself and then tried to behave a bit nicer for a few days after that. Didn't work though because she was just so naturally unpleasant. It definitely gave a different aspect to eviction night when the crowds voices their opinion just for those couple of minutes, part of the fun was watching the housemates shit it in reaction.