Great build, terrible match

tiger_rick

On the subject of Samoa Joe, many thought his match in NOAH with Misawa would rival his classic with Kobashi. The Japanese wrestling legend taking on the biggest dog on the US indie scene. Elbows would be thrown and heads would be dropped. It was a smark's wet dream. 

Thing is, Joe was seen as puroresu tribute wrestler who's spent too much time playing Fire Pro Wrestling by the Japanese crowd and Misawa was washed up by this point, only really giving a shit when it was needed.

The match was dull and extremely one sided. Misawa put Joe away with an elbow in less than 15 minutes. This was more of a letdown because of the fan's expectations rather than poor booking, but it still strikes me as a time I felt extremely let down by wrestling. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sheffbag said:

WWF vs WCW/ECW Invasion - the whole thing. Great build up which could have done a full year.

final matches sucked purely on Vinnies ego. Probably cost him millions in the long run

How would the Survivor Series match have been different (or saved millions) if Vince was more humble?

• Paid Members

To play Devil's advocate it would have cost them millions to purchase the contracts required to deliver marquee rivalries at the top of the card without turning Austin. Maybe it was unjustifiable risk.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Sheffbag said:

WWF vs WCW/ECW Invasion - the whole thing. Great build up which could have done a full year.

final matches sucked purely on Vinnies ego. Probably cost him millions in the long run

What parts of the build up were great? DDP being a shit, weird stalker? Stephanie buying ECW? Austin turning on WWF because he was jealous of Vince giving Kurt Angle hugs? If anything, especially watching Summerslam 2001 back recently, I’d say the matches were actually far better than the build, the complete opposite of what this thread is about. 

• Paid Members

It does seem like it would've cost Vince too much to do an Invasion storyline that was any good. It really did miss Sting, Flair, Goldberg, Steiner and the nWo. I don't dislike Booker T, nor DDP, but there was no way they could ever have carried it by themselves.

Vince's ego was definitely an influence on the whole thing, but I think his business sense probably trumped it. Wrestling had just come out of its boom period; maybe shelling out for the big names, perhaps staggering each appearance a month or a few weeks at a time, might have ramped up a lot more interest and generated a lot more money, but then again: maybe it wouldn't have done. That's too big a risk to take. From a fan's perspective, we definitely lost out, but I can see why a full-blown, top-notch Invasion didn't happen.

The July 9th 01 Raw was amazing. All the ex ECW lads joining with RVD & Dreamer at the start of the show, Heyman leaving commentary and cutting a belting promo, his first since replacing King a few months earlier. The WWF & WCW lads acting legitimately worried about ECW, before the double cross in the main event where ECW and WCW join forces. Then they spunked all of that good work away on Steph being the owner, and it becoming another McMahon story. The 'old Stone Cold' coming back and stunning everyone before the Invasion PPV was magic too.

Other than that it was cack. A novelty, but cack all the same, due to the big names (correctly) being  unwilling to work instead of sitting home on the big money time warner contracts, besides Booker and DDP who were quickly treated as afterthoughts.

Hogan v Micheals.

I was so pumped for this especially after that awesome promo where Micheals dressed up as Hogan.

then the match.

Yeah i know there was a lot of political play on the day which lead to what happened but they had a chance to do something special if they both could have swallowed their egos just for one night.

On 21 August 2018 at 9:57 PM, Supremo said:

Yep. Ambrose opened up about it on that Stone Cold podcast, but everyone forgot by the end of it because of how shit and awkward Austin made it because Dean wouldn’t talk about having a bad childhood or whatever;

Ambrose: I went to the ring that night pretty pissed off, but then I really started to enjoy … as I walked to the ring. I had no idea what was going to happen. Went out there with not much of a plan, so to speak.

Austin: What were you pissed off about?

Ambrose: I felt like I was pulling teeth to turn that match into something epic and so forth.

Austin: You’re an MMA fan just like I am, was it a disconnect in styles? Artistically, in the ring?

Ambrose: Artistically, Brock didn’t want to do anything, if we’re going to be perfectly honest. Brock’s gonna Brock.  He’s all about Brock. I had a vision for that match to be the craziest thing imaginable, you know what I mean, and I was trying to pitch everything to everybody and had every idea. I put so much effort in and so much work in, and other people did too, and I was met with laziness.

I kept thinking at the end of the day, ‘once we get in the ring, it’s all going to be OK. We’ll figure it out once we get in the ring.’

We went out there, whacked each other with weapons, I got suplexed a bunch of times.”

This is really interesting (to me anyway) as I was at Mania 32 and met Ambrose twice both at Axxess & Reception (before HOF).

I can't remember if I posted here at the time but he was miserable on both occasions and came across like he didn't give a shit. Usually on a one off meet you can say he had a bad day or that he can't be super happy with every single person but twice in the space of a few days made me think he was quite shitty. I am guessing its possible he knew what he was walking into at Mania and was just so pissed off about it all. 

He definitely wasn't pissed at the meet before the HOF though, and as soon as that finished HOF was on within the hour so doubt he would of got himself intoxicated in that time.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Hogan v Micheals.

I was so pumped for this especially after that awesome promo where Micheals dressed up as Hogan.

then the match.

Yeah i know there was a lot of political play on the day which lead to what happened but they had a chance to do something special if they both could have swallowed their egos just for one night.

I loved that match though. I know Michaels ruins how serious a feud it was supposed to be with his bumping but it's so stupid that I can't help but still like it even now. Hogan's expressions just make it even better.

Archived