When your childhood died

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

With the news that Barry Chuckle has taken the great ladder to the sky, what events, deaths or otherwise, have made you feel like your childhood, or the rememnants of it, have gone?

Been a tough year for me between Chegwin, Winton and Chuckle. Also found out one of (the admittedly numerous) places I lived in as a teenager had been demolished recently.

• Paid Members

Every single school I went to has been knocked down. Nursery, Infants, Juniors and Secondary. Three of them are a literal stone's throw from my Mum's house, now just empty fields in front of her house.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Every single school I went to has been knocked down. Nursery, Infants, Juniors and Secondary. Three of them are a literal stone's throw from my Mum's house, now just empty fields in front of her house.

Don’t worry. They’ll be other houses on there soon enough.

The Streak ending.

I saw Undertaker's debut back in 1991, I was 11. He became my favourite instantly, was there all the way through school, college, university, work, marriage, and I thought he'd retire with the Streak intact. My face when he lost to Brock waas not too dissimilar to the 'Undertaker Guy' in the crowd in New Orleans. I thought that was the last I'd ever see of him in a ring. I was heartbroken.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Grecian said:

The Streak ending.

I saw Undertaker's debut back in 1991, I was 11. He became my favourite instantly, was there all the way through school, college, university, work, marriage, and I thought he'd retire with the Streak intact. My face when he lost to Brock waas not too dissimilar to the 'Undertaker Guy' in the crowd in New Orleans. I thought that was the last I'd ever see of him in a ring. I was heartbroken.

That's actually not a bad shout. After that PPV I did have a feeling of 'Well, that's my youthful obsession with wrestling done' and I've not had anything that's drawn me back in properly since (barring Goldberg).

• Paid Members

I was going to mention The Undertaker too. I felt like I clung onto my childhood longer than most thanks to the length of the careers of heroes like him and Ryan Giggs. It was a bit surreal to be into my thirties and still cheering on guys that I was watching when I was nine. When Giggsy finally retired that direct link to my childhood days was gone.

My secondary school building has also been bulldozed, the school's still there but in an entirely new modern building.

Are there any 90's stalwarts even left in football? I can't actually think of any not called Buffon. I know there's plenty of old players who'd have played in the 90's but I can't think of a single one that would have been in my Merlin Premier League sticker book?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

Don’t worry. They’ll be other houses on there soon enough.

They built a Lidl and soon to be a Crematorium on one, the three buildings outside my Mum's were rebuilt as a merger with another knocked down local school, but they only made one building so the rest is field.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Grecian said:

The Streak ending.

I still find it incredibly weird that people were so invested in the streak, I just didn't get it.

• Paid Members

For me, It was very little to do with the significance of it, but more the consistency of something when it comes to this thread. I was anything but devastated when Taker lost to Brock, I thought it was cool as anything. It's more having something that's been the same for a long time disrupted, and Taker winning each year at Mania was one of those things.

A few for me, the death of Jon Pertwee, Worzel Gummidge Down Under was one for my favourite programmes growing up and I remember it being shown on a Sunday afternoon (12:30?) on Channel 4. Despite being only 15 when he died it seemed like my early years went with him. 

The death of the Ultimate Warrior, Warrior despite his limitations, he was my favourite wrestler (along with Shawn Michaaels) he looked so bright and colourful and stood out a mile compared to the other wrestlers of the era. When he died I felt sadness and I also felt that he knew he didn't have long for the world, which is why he made amends when he did.  

When my Dad told me that Bob Evans on US Highway 192 east in Kissimmee, Florida had closed. A lot of wonderful memories in there with my parents and a friend of th family, who sadly passed away in 2009. I always ate there on my very first night of arriving in Orlando on my holidays and ordering the Pot roast sandwich was a tradition. Although there is a Bob Evans on the US Highway 192 west, I always preferred the east outlet. 

Archived