When your childhood died

Gus Mears

Weirdly, when my wife left me. We’d been together since I was 20 and she accepted my juvenile interests such as wrestling, comics and Lego, 

i still read comics and build Lego, but I’ve realised that if I’m gonna hold down another relationship then I’m gonna have to grow up a tad. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, thicko said:

I still read comics and build Lego, but I’ve realised that if I’m gonna hold down another relationship then I’m gonna have to grow up a tad. 

Naa, fuck that. If it was to do with you liking wrestling & Lego then she was the issue. 

If it’s because you spent the last of the electric & gas money on a Lego Songs of Praise set then she might have had a point.

Providing they aren’t hurting anyone, don’t give up your interests for anyone. I did for a previous relationship, sold/binned loads of stuff and then realised I was changing who I was, which was incredibly odd.

I’ve been with my now wife for 13 years, she’s not arsed about wrestling or games, i don’t care about cross country running, it matters not, we’re both very happy.

When I became a dad at 17. Still essentially a child, but had to grow up fast. I got to live and enjoy my child/teen/20's interests with my son though. He grew up on the likes of the Sugarhill Gang, Bottom, Black Adder, Predator and Weekend at Bernies. He's the only one in his group of friends who is familiar with any of those. 

In essence though, the death of the Ultimate Warrior felt like the death of my childhood. My grandad got me a video of Wrestlemania VI and it was my first experience of WWF. Warrior got me hooked. Big time. It felt significant when he died. 

Archived