Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Fucks sake, nerds, you have your own comic thread, stop stinking up another with your Lynx Africa.

It's all sparked off in the on-topic Random Thoughts thread too (I am party responsible) so somebody should post something there to get it back on-topic.

As for this thread; the NES is an over-rated slump of a console. The bad games vastly out-weigh the good ones, and even then the whole catalog has been drooped with gallons of nostalgia so no one can see it for what it truly is. Even the people who think that the 'proper hard' games are on the NES are wrong as the only reason 99% of those designated 'hard' games are that difficult is because they were so badly designed. TMNT isn't hard, it's fucking broken.

I will forever state the X-Box 360 is the greatest games console ever (another unpopular opinion). Fantastic library of games PLUS almost every game on the X-Box, which cross references so many other consoles with third party games and cross-platform games as well loads of remakes and compilations, AS WELL AS the brilliant catalog of arcade and indie games.

6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Marvel and DC are both arse.

It's all about Image and Black Mask Studios because I'm a progressive hipster nerd who wears roll-on Brut instead of Lynx.

I'm an Image boy at heart. I'd say Vertigo too as they produced my two all-time faves with Preacher and Scalped but they're kinda DC anyway so I guess they don't count.

• Moderators

I'm with you on the 360 being brilliant. The arcade and indie games scene was amazing, great normal games and backwards compatibility for super monkey ball deluxe. What more could you want?

Also, you may have had to pay for online capabilities, but they were much better than PSN so it was good value.

But the Ps1 didn't have any direct competition and the ps2 beat the original xbox hands down.

I don't think there's any point in trying to determine a 'best' console though. You can only compare like for like for their time. E.g , megadrive being better than Snes.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

As for this thread; the NES is an over-rated slump of a console. The bad games vastly out-weigh the good ones, and even then the whole catalog has been drooped with gallons of nostalgia so no one can see it for what it truly is. Even the people who think that the 'proper hard' games are on the NES are wrong as the only reason 99% of those designated 'hard' games are that difficult is because they were so badly designed. TMNT isn't hard, it's fucking broken.

Ok listen up dickhead. 

Nah, just kidding. Nintendo consoles as a whole are a couple dozen excellent games absolutely piled on by shite, and the NES was no different. You have to take into account though that at the time the quality was regarded as high because it was being compared to the garbage teletext games on the likes of the Atari and there's such a massive library because for a long time it was the only home console so everything got released on it.
When I played the likes of George Foreman's KO Boxing as a kid I had nothing to compare it to like we do now, there was Punch Out but I'd never played it and it was on the NES anyway. That's why I kept going back to it even though it was a steaming heap of toss. 

Some games on there are timeless, the likes of Mega Man 2, Super Mario Bros 3 and Ninja Gaiden still hold up today because they're great games, but I'm not going back to watch a knackered fat George Foreman sitting on a stool (sponsored by Doritos). 
You look at the NES and SNES Mini consoles they've released and you see where the bread is buttered, those are your games and there's a few more on top of that but not many. 

In terms of best ever console, I always think not of which console did I enjoy the most, but if I was given that console with the entire back catalogue to play through which one would I choose, and for me it would be PS1. A lot of my favourite ever games are on that console, I have a lot of nostalgia for it too. 

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

But the Ps1 didn't have any direct competition and the ps2 beat the original xbox hands down.

I don't think there's any point in trying to determine a 'best' console though. You can only compare like for like for their time. E.g , megadrive being better than Snes.

Over the years I've seen a lot of 'Top *** Consoles" lists and the NES is always right there at the top, usually at the top spot. Sure, it's got it's share of genuine classics as @FelatioLips pointed out, but it's almost muted at this point considering the amount of crud on there. That's where the majority of that rant comes from, mainly people harping on about the NES due to the release of the Mini and all those Nerd666 lists where it was heralded as the best thing since sliced jam. 

If I had to rank out of generations though I would say (keeping the competition very mainstream here, no Jaguars or PC Turbo Engines, and the release dates grouped loosely);

Master System vs NES: NES takes it, which shames me as the MS was my very first games console. I got it when I was 5 and I still have it, still covered in the same stickers I got from a Sonic comic, still working. Both consoles still have game libraries which are largely built on guff and gash.

SNES vs Mega Drive: Very close one, but the SNES takes it for me. I had a massive rekindling of love for the MegaDrive with a collection that was released on 360 a while back, but even the strongest MD game couldn't match the power of Castlevania 4 or Super Metroid.

PlayStation vs Sega Saturn vs N64: Hard this one. I honestly can't pick. I'd probably have N64 in third place as a lot of the best games haven't aged very well (I'm looking at you, Goldeneye) but I'll give the top spot to Sega because...

PS2 vs Dreamcast vs Gamecube vs X-Box: PS2, hands down. I'm a vehement Dreamcast defender, but Sony's effort just about trumped it in every which way despite the amount of shovelwear that was released for system. Gamecube has some hits but it was a very experiential system that failed to produce the goods for me...apart from Monkey Ball. Gob bless drunken, 3am multiplayer Monkey Ball. X-box misses out because...

PS3 vs X-360 vs Wii: See my above post. What a brilliant console. I had mine for 10 years, didn't red ring once. Wii has a lot going for it but the amount of third party tripe and it's insistence that I get off my arse is irredeemable. I bought one when it was released and sold it 2 months later as the motion-controlled gimmick was dead to me.

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

In terms of best ever console, I always think not of which console did I enjoy the most, but if I was given that console with the entire back catalogue to play through which one would I choose, and for me it would be PS1. A lot of my favourite ever games are on that console, I have a lot of nostalgia for it too. 

If I couldn't pick 360, I'd go with the PS2 or Gameboy Advance, due to the great line-up of games and that sweet backwards compatibility.

18 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

megadrive being better than Snes.

This man clearly understands the concept of this thread. 

18 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Ok listen up dickhead. 

Nah, just kidding. Nintendo consoles as a whole are a couple dozen excellent games absolutely piled on by shite, and the NES was no different. You have to take into account though that at the time the quality was regarded as high because it was being compared to the garbage teletext games on the likes of the Atari and there's such a massive library because for a long time it was the only home console so everything got released on it.
When I played the likes of George Foreman's KO Boxing as a kid I had nothing to compare it to like we do now, there was Punch Out but I'd never played it and it was on the NES anyway. That's why I kept going back to it even though it was a steaming heap of toss. 

Some games on there are timeless, the likes of Mega Man 2, Super Mario Bros 3 and Ninja Gaiden still hold up today because they're great games, but I'm not going back to watch a knackered fat George Foreman sitting on a stool (sponsored by Doritos). 
You look at the NES and SNES Mini consoles they've released and you see where the bread is buttered, those are your games and there's a few more on top of that but not many. 

It seems you've neglected to point out how the SNES isn't part of the "dozen excellent games piled on by shite" discussion.

The SNES was fucking awesome, and anyone who thinks differently deserves to see out their days in this thread.

Edited by David