Earl Hebner

Foalie

On a related note, I might be wrong here but Im sure there were times where a more unknown referee would be in the main event to the point where it was noticible and you were waiting for the point where they would get knocked down for 5 minutes and then another more established referee would come in to do the count (I'm sure this was Hebner). 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Since this is turning into a general refs discussion, did anyone think the spot where a ref would be down, the heels would cheat and then a fucking second ref would dart in and count 3 was fucking stupid? The Outlaws beat the LOD that way, and the ref could pretty much see the chair shot as he was running. DQ?

Maybe because I have an unusually good memory for inane/random things, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Hebner is from the Austin "Sheriff of Raw" era (can an era be three weeks? Er...)

Not sure if it was even a main event match, but there was a ref bump, Austin's music hits, and out comes the Sheriff on a quad bike! With Earl Hebner perched on the end. He gets dropped off at the ring, presumably after being told to be a good boy and that mum would be picking him up after school. 

My favourite poster for an indy show explicitly advertised Earl Hebner "running in to count the pinfall after a ref bump."

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I do think the anonymous part takes away a bit of the feel of the thing as a fight. No sport would not tell you who the ref or umpire is. It's small-time.

I agree the "not using the ref's name" thing is bizarre.

2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

My favourite poster for an indy show explicitly advertised Earl Hebner "running in to count the pinfall after a ref bump."

2 hours ago, Polish Dad said:

earl.jpg

This is Janela's work, isn't it? Never watched the bloke wrestle but big fan of his self-aware "this is me having shits and giggles" promotional style.

• Paid Members

He was also able to book Matt Riddle vs Minoru Suzuki as a replacement main event(!) when Low Ki ruined the original plans by being himself.

EDIT - Janela, not Earl Hebner, for anyone just tuning in.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Jon-Carr_92 said:

From what I found out about that bit, the match he did had a few ref bumps to give the crowd hope it would be him out to count it. Eventually it was him after 2 or 3 ref bumps.

Janela then gave Hebner a piledriver ONTO another referee. This was during Janela vs Marty Jannety btw, and yes it is as lovely as it sounds.

10 hours ago, PunkStep said:

He also booked Matt Riddle VS Dan Severn last year, which sounds bloody ace.

Edit: and Pierre Carl Oulette VS Walter!

PCO vs WALTER is from this year's Spring Break show. It's, honest to God, one of my favorite matches ever. Being there live certainly helped, but even watching back on video it's an absolutely incredible display. A broken down vet who the world had mostly forgot about returns to face the current top dog. It's a star making performance that's now got PCO booked fucking everywhere since then. He's even doing PWG's BOLA!

Game Changer Wrestling have a show in New York Summerslam weekend, which I was going to go to originally and am disappointed I'm not, because it's got Hakushi and Haku on it.

Also, I'm fairly sure Joey Janela is just another talent booked on the shows and occasionally the shows are named after him.  He doesn't run the promotion.

Archived