Earl Hebner

Foalie

Watching back over some attitude era and RA era stuff for the last few weeks, and I’ve noticed just how much Earl Hebner pisses me off. I don’t remember it bothering me at the time, but from THAT 3rd count he does where he totally telegraphs a kick out, to making sure he’s in every possibly camera angle with the wrestlers he can possibly be, when he doesn’t need to be (see Austin/rock Wm19 when rock hilariously pushes him away). Does that infuriate anybody else? It became so distracting to the point I was actually shouting at the tv!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can’t say that I noticed it at the time, but I’m sure if I were to go back an re-watch then it would be more noticeable.

The only time I specifically recall some shonky stuff was from the IC title match between Razor Ramon & Goldust. Tim White referreed that match and I couldn’t buy into any of the nearfalls because his 3rd count was all over the shop. Even at 11 years old and knowing that it’s pretend, but not clued up as we are these days, I was giving out to Tim that night

• Paid Members

Gorilla Monsoon used to have none of that shit, with Earl or his brother Dave. If he'd kick someone of grab them, he always bury them. "The referee has no business doing that." It's this weird vortex of Earl and Monsoon both trying to get themselves over at the wrestlers expense.

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I can’t say that I noticed it at the time, but I’m sure if I were to go back an re-watch then it would be more noticeable.

The only time I specifically recall some shonky stuff was from the IC title match between Razor Ramon & Goldust. Tim White referreed that match and I couldn’t buy into any of the nearfalls because his 3rd count was all over the shop. Even at 11 years old and knowing that it’s pretend, but not clued up as we are these days, I was giving out to Tim that night

I noticed that with Tim White especially from a young age. The way he’d drop down with seemingly all his weight to his knees, for his counts, could sometimes be mistaken as a 1 count. Even though he was the only WWF referee even back in the 80’s who shouted his count (at least that I noticed) when no-one else did, I’d still get confused at times.

The anonymisation of the referees in the last few years (bar Mike Chioda, Chad Paten and John Cone), I agree, does remove a character from the match but I think that is more of an issue for those of us who have been watching for a long time. For many newer fans, I don’t think it registers to much when the referee is simply “the ref/eree”.

Of course, that’s just one of many elements designed to (I suspect) make the product ‘easy to digest’ for the modern viewer.

As for Earl Hebner (as he’s the subject of this thread), he was easily the highest profile of the referees and was given such a profile that he certainly couldn’t exist in today’s climate- and that’s not factoring in his age, or the circumstances that saw him, Dave and Brian leave the company.

• Paid Members

Earl is a strange little cretin isn’t he?

I was at a TNA show in Glasgow in  2009 I think. We were right near the barricade half way down the aisle, and some random lad shouted Earl screwed Bret (not even the worst bit)... Earl turned and flipped him off, but it seemed really awkward, like he was scared in case someone grassed on him for swearing, like a little dweeb at school that is the runt of the dweebs, but a bit mouthy. The kind that the bullies can’t even be arsed to pick on because it’s too obvious.

30 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

It was nice to come into this thread and find out he wasn't dead or a bit noncey. 

He wasn't as annoying as Teddy Long who was the ref we hated the most in our house. 

Teddy Long - so shit as a ref that they made him a manager, and then the GM. One of the great examples of promotion via incompetence.

Archived