Earl Hebner

Foalie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could never get behind Earl Hebner because everything from his demeanor to his weird, weird shape reminded me of Jools Holland. He'd even get himself involved in matches by volleying people off rope breaks or pushing wrestlers akin to Jools getting his boogie woogie in every show. Had those weird long arms too. Can just imagine him walking in a circle waving them around and going "annerpleaseuhwelcomejoe LONGTHORNE"

• Paid Members

I can't turn my nose up too much at the "shoving the heels" schtick, as Tommy Young got a whole ton of that shit in during Ric Flair matches, and he's the best referee going. He definitely made near falls too obvious with his over-the-top close count, though, which is the main thing that used to irritate me about him.

It's a guilty pleasure, but I actually really enjoyed the Earl Hebner/Nick Patrick match at Invasion. I'm biased, but I think there's a role for referees having the opportunity to show a bit more personality so long as it's not overdone - they're people that the audience see more consistently than any wrestler, so it's a waste of a storytelling tool not to take advantage of that. In some respects, it's like the old stories of stagehands in kabuki theatre being used to portray ninjas - the referee becomes almost invisible, so to use them to tell a story will catch people off-guard, if done sparingly. 

Some ref's try to make the show about themselves. People pay their hard earned money to see the wrestlers, the ref is simply there to tell the guy to ring the bell to start, count the 123 and only every now and again take a bump that will help with the story of the match.

Can't ever remember hearing anyone saying "cant wait to see the show tonight, heard that Steve Lynskey/Andy Quinlan/John Myers is on reffing, proper exciting that!" and you never will hear anyone say that.

As for Hebner, he's lived off the Hogan/Twin situation for ever and a day.

On 7/27/2018 at 2:21 PM, The Four Horsemen said:

People pay their hard earned money to see the wrestlers, the ref is simply there to tell the guy to ring the bell to start, count the 123 and only every now and again take a bump that will help with the story of the match.

Can't ever remember hearing anyone saying "cant wait to see the show tonight, heard that Steve Lynskey/Andy Quinlan/John Myers is on reffing, proper exciting that!" and you never will hear anyone say that.

I don't fully agree with this. When I went to WWE shows in London in the late '90s, I'm pretty sure I remember refs getting a fair few cheers on their way to the ring, because they were a familiar part of the product and their presence contributed to making it an authentic experience. As a teenager I'd have been a bit disappointed if they hadn't bothered flying the likes of Hebner and White over, even though the wrestlers are obviously the main attraction.

Hell, at a WCW show with Ric Flair on the card, I was excited to see Head of Security Doug Dellinger.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Hell, at a WCW show with Ric Flair on the card, I was excited to see Head of Security Doug Dellinger.

Who IIRC went on second to last, before The Mamalukes.

2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I don't fully agree with this. When I went to WWE shows in London in the late '90s, I'm pretty sure I remember refs getting a fair few cheers on their way to the ring, because they were a familiar part of the product and their presence contributed to making it an authentic experience. As a teenager I'd have been a bit disappointed if they hadn't bothered flying the likes of Hebner and White over, even though the wrestlers are obviously the main attraction.

I've seen people getting photos with some refs. I see Charles Robinson tends to RT photos with fans after shows as he's also ring crew, so he tends to be an easy one to meet.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Who IIRC went on second to last, before The Mamalukes.

They had to give the crowd something to stick around for during Luger's magnificent seven-hour entrance.

Archived