Earl Hebner

Foalie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Oh god, look at the sheer horror of that. Jesus, what’s wrong with me, I’ve just looked at it for the 3rd time. It’s like a video nasty, I bet it’s a bonus clip on that Banned in America VHS we were nattering on about.

I remember when he did that bit at the TNA Jokers Wild II taping. It was near the end of the show and JB brought up Steve Lynskey who had reffed on the tour and mentioned his recent weight loss. Earl did that Bret Hart schtick and appropriately got a You Screwed Bret chant and JB said "One day, Steve, this could be you. An entire arena chanting that to you!" I know they eventually did that shirt on the store.

• Paid Members

As for Hebner, that pic above is ace. I'm usually of the opinion that the ref should go unnoticed, but if someone is getting heat like Earl, by god play up to it. I say WWE bring him back and make it out to be a big deal, that they've re-signed the greatest referee of all-time. I wouldn't have him go all out heel like in that pic though, not at first anyway, but start out with subtle arrogance and then turn up the volume as time goes by.

He can start having banter with the heels during the matches, start wearing sunglasses to the ring or even something little like having his name on the back of his shirt (COUGH*MAL MASON*COUGH). The best thing he can do though, is get a tattoo on each forearm of the winged eagle and big gold belts, as he's effectively won those by reffing matches for those titles. That's what a proper slimey heel ref does. Isn't that right, Clatts?

Screenshot_20180722-220900_Gallery.jpg

It was when Hebner was down for about 5 minutes covering his face after a little push that infuriated me. It happened so often as well, almost in every PPV main event.

I can't really remember the last time a referee got involved in something like a dodgy finish or being knocked out for a few minutes (in recent years). In the right circumstances it can create and add drama. 

• Paid Members

Funny Tim White was brought up, because I recently seen a match between Jeff Jarrett and Billy Gunn. It was the episode of Raw where they tried one of those attempts to make Billy a star, so they needed everyone to be on the ball. Anyway, Jarrett covers Billy, Tim White is out of position and you cant see him on camera. Big fat Timbo crashes to the mat and there's an audible three count. Shane is on commentary going "I cant see the ref" and Cornette has to explain "that was just a 2." The wrestlers looked a bit confused as well. Then a few minutes later he does the exact same thing, and Jarrett bollocks him. I imagine Vince was going mad on the earpiece.

• Paid Members

I fucking hated him. A byproduct of The Attitude Era where there was so much "over" that it spread to everyone connected to the company, not just the wrestlers. A referee became a fully fleshed out character who you could even play as on No Mercy for Christ's sake. Fair enough, his story was a nice extra subplot in the execution of Backlash 2000, one of the best finales (you thought) to a story they'd done, but in general I despised Earl. They booked him to do things which I hated as a ref, all discussed in this thread, and his count was wildly inconsistent so I thought he was crap at playing ref as well as a crap ref in kayfabe. I only really thought about his awful dead sell now I read this thread, but that was awful too. Give me an anonymous ref that doesn't distract me from the wrestlers any day.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

Give me an anonymous ref that doesn't distract me from the wrestlers any day.

I don't have a problem with the refs not having a part to play. I much prefer it. Then when you do get a ref angle, it'll mean something next time. I do think the anonymous part takes away a bit of the feel of the thing as a fight. No sport would not tell you who the ref or umpire is. It's small-time.

Archived