UFC 225: Whittaker vs Romero 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

At the Liverpool weigh ins all any of the fans wanted to talk about was what a disgusting joke this Punk thing was. I didn’t dare pipe up, it was obvious just looking at them in their Fight Kits that they were more legit~! fans than me, but I couldn’t help wondering to myself, why is it such a big deal? Why does every show have to feature the most elite guys fighting one another? Why can’t we have an intriguing story like this once in a while?

Super famous, interesting guy comes in completely over his head, gets a loss, and now we get to see how he rebuilds coming off the back of it. This is so much more interesting to me than just another two highly skilled, faceless fighters having a boring fight I don’t care about. We had six hours of that last week and other than that one guy giving himself a Canadian Destroyer it was boring as fuck.

Ariel has got some good interviews with all the main card guys. This is the most I’ve cared about a card in months.

Covington remains the absolute worst at being a poor man’s Chael Sonnen. It’s exactly the same pro-wrestling heel shtick, but without any of the charm, wit or tongue-in-cheek nods. He sucks.

• Paid Members

Spot on Supremo. I have zero issue with Punk being on the main card, same as i had zero issue with Herchel Walker being on the main card with Strikeforce, or Kimbo Slice headlining shows over top fighters. Its all about intrigue and stories and these guys provide them. The only time id ever have a problem with these kinds of fights are if they are dangerously lopsided.

Punk being back on a UFC show is fucking brilliant, roll on Saturday.

...did you really see people in Fight Kits though? i didnt think anyone bought those things.

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Why does every show have to feature the most elite guys fighting one another? Why can’t we have an intriguing story like this once in a while?

I think that's the key word to be honest.  To some people it shouldn't be a show, it should be a sporting contest.  Those people, like most I suspect, don't give a shit about buy rates or any of that gubbins, they want LEGIT SPORTZ!!! etc.  As has been discussed as nauseam, this is a wrestling board first and foremost so we are tuned towards buy rates and stories.

Personally, I'm far more interested and invested in the Punk fight than I ever could be in Faceless Fighter 1 Vs Faceless Fighter 2.  Of course there is the argument that if Punk wasn't on the card taking legit spots dammit, the buyrate and purses would be ultimately less, but I've got an expensive T-shirt and BLEED MMA, not the gay stuff on the mat, mind, therefore I know best.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Supremo said:

For someone who gets constantly shit on, when you actually sit down and listen to Punk, he's hard not to root for. I really want to see him win and despite his record I'm more interested in seeing what happens in his fight than I am in most other fights. It's unfortunate for guys who've got great records, and have come up the hard way, but boo hoo for them. I care more about this than I do just another fight between two young, talented, yet forgettable, faceless guys, which is the majority of most UFC shows these days. This being on the main card is the right decision.

Punk's approach is brilliant. Anyone who says "I want to see this fake wrestler get his ass kicked" clearly has not watched a second of any of Punk's MMA related press. He's humble, down to earth and has no false perception of what level he's at. Always great to listen too.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I know I type too much about MMA when my predictive text changes 'just' to 'jitsu' and 'also to Aldo'.

Completely unrelated, it also occasionally changes 'with' to 'euthanasia' for reasons that baffle me. 

Punk declined to take part in the public workouts because of ‘anxiety’. That’s a worry. Whether it’s genuine anxiety or whether it’s because the reaction to his new training footage has been terrible, there’s nothing good to deduce from this.

I like Punk, I do. I think it’ll be genuinely sad if he gets flattened again.

He’s being milked for money by the UFC, but I get the feeling he’s not motivated by cash and just genuinely craves the W.

• Paid Members

I agree with your 3rd line. Getting squashed by Gall is one thing, because everyone realised that it was a total mismatch, but getting a doing from Mike Jackson is a whole new level of grim. It's a big reason I'm not arsed about seeing Punk fight again.

Going by the reports and what Punk has said, the past few weeks have clearly battered Punk emotionally. It's why I think a chunk of the sniffy MMA media have come round to Punk. It's proper commendable to do what he's doing after what just went down.

I just hope this is all one big mind fuck on his part. Like last time when he was pretending he was proper struggling with his weight cut.

I reckon this will be it for Punk after the weekend win or lose. If he wins he can say that he achieved something he’s always wanted to, if he loses then he can say that he gave his best but it’s time to try something else. I’m not expecting him to win, but I do hope he has improved and at least makes a fight of it. I’ve no doubt that he gave it everything in training for the Mickey Gall fight, but he was so outmatched that night, even against someone of limited experience

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Punk declined to take part in the public workouts because of ‘anxiety’. That’s a worry. Whether it’s genuine anxiety or whether it’s because the reaction to his new training footage has been terrible, there’s nothing good to deduce from this.

i dont think theres much to this. Nothing good would come from an open workout from Punk. Its a bit of a pointless exercise to begin with and Punk and his team knows that there'll be an army of fans online ready to tear apart anything he does on the mats.