UFC 225: Whittaker vs Romero 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Everything else aside, Punk comes over as such a nice, humble guy in the Embedded stuff. Perhaps exaggerated by it being in contrast to what an absolute bell Covington is.

The Convington stuff is just so naff. Obviously he's playing it up; but you get a real sense that, when the cameras stop rolling, he's still an absolute twat.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i dont think theres much to this. Nothing good would come from an open workout from Punk. Its a bit of a pointless exercise to begin with and Punk and his team knows that there'll be an army of fans online ready to tear apart anything he does on the mats.

LiveSeveralIncatern.gif

Shame.

Also, RDA is looking THICK.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Am I right in thinking weigh ins are at 3pm GMT? Fingers crossed that RDA and Yoel both have no issues today, and therefore are both eligible to win titles this weekend. 

• Paid Members

Starting to believe Covington's getting smashed here. Looking at his record again, it doesnt really justify the spot hes in, outside of decision wins over Maia and Sun Gun Kim he hasnt beaten anyone close to being a top 15 fighter. If it wasnt for the Maia win (which was far from convincing, but ill give him a pass cause Maia's a nightmare to look good against) you could probably argue that Covington wouldnt warrant a top 10 spot. You cant deny that for all his online haters he's brilliantly talked his way into a title fight here, I just feel we may see him get destroyed tomorrow night.

• Paid Members

Hopefully Ebb. That's what I suspect is going to happen anyway. Covington can probably take RDA down but I can't see him TKOing him and I really can't see him submitting him. And I'm not convinced he'll be able to just keep taking RDA down for 25 minutes. At some point he's going to have to stand and that's where I think Dos Anjos fucks his life up. Covington is complete arse in the striking. This is a guy who was getting outstruck at various points by a gassed, 40-odd year old, probably declining Demian Maia in his last fight. It wasn't too many fights ago he got finished in a minute by Warlley Alves either. Literally all that's changed is he's started chatting and tweeting a ton of shit. Then you factor in that RDA has looked a total beast since moving up to 170. Forget Cuntington for a minute, Dos Anjos is dialled in and looking at his absolute peak right now. He's going to give most well rounded fighters fits, not to mention a one trick pony like this. 

• Paid Members

The MMA Beat were making the point that RDA, should he win, has got to be considered in the best of all time debate. Obviously he may not be top of that list but he's certainly in the discussion. Not sure what to make of Covington. Obviously the Maia win looks good on the record, but it's naive not to think Maia is on the slide.

RDA at welterweight is a bit Taz, though, so I fancy him to do away with most in impressive fashion. Fair fucks to him too. He was genuinely P4P one of the best there for a bit, but it looked like he was going the way of Johny Hendricks, but all it took was him not cutting weight like a tit to regain his super powers (joerogan.gif).

RDA is absolutely terrifying and if Colby makes this competitive then you're being proper rubbish not giving the man his due.

Edited by ColinBollocks

I don't think RDA should be in the best of all-time debate. I see him as a top 10-20 guy. 

He didn't establish himself as the best lightweight in the world for a prolonged period of time. He won the title in 2015, and dropped it in his 2nd defence. Despite his 2014-2016 winning streak being very impressive, you could make a case that Khabib and Ferguson would have always beaten him. In their primes, it was unthinkable that the likes of GSP, Anderson, Jones, Fedor and others were sharing a weightclass with 2 fighters who had the measure of them (at that weight). I will add that his resume is impressive and HOF worthy. He holds wins over Cerrone (x2), Pettis, Bendo, Lawler, and Nate Diaz. He's also proven to be a top-flight fighter in two different weightclasses. 

Regardless, I hope RDA buzzes Covington. I actually think that Covington is a very good fighter, albeit a limited one. However, to state the bleeding obvious, his shtick just doesn't work for me. As others have said, he just doesn't have the charm and wit that McGregor and Sonnen had. While those two had their share of detractors who thought their shtick was bad for the sport, a large portion of the MMA audience lapped up their antics. It wasn't necessarily that they liked them, it was more that they loved to hate them. Brock Lesnar was a fighter who a lot of MMA fighter legitimately hated, but at the same time, he was an attraction. You only had to look at him to figure out why. When Brock fought, the entire MMA world would often stop in its tracks to watch him.

With Covington, there is just nothing there. He's unpleasant to listen to and not much fun to watch fight. He adds nothing to the experience of being an MMA fan. His shtick might have contributed to him getting a title shot, but the UFC have barked up the wrong tree if they think his shtick has worked in the desired way. There's a difference between pissing off committed MMA fans and drawing the interest of the masses. Only the most dedicated MMA fans know who Covington is. Sure, those fans will rejoice if RDA spanks him tomorrow night, but they would be interested in watching the show even if Covington wasn't involved. In that regard, Covington has worked the UFC like a charm, as he's netted himself a lofty position on a PPV card on the false premise that he might put additional bums on seats. Had he kept quiet, the UFC might have passed him over for a title show, despite him being a very good fighter.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Am I right in thinking weigh ins are at 3pm GMT? Fingers crossed that RDA and Yoel both have no issues today, and therefore are both eligible to win titles this weekend. 

I fucking scudded him. 😓