UFC 225: Whittaker vs Romero 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

They'd have been complete idiots to put Punk's fight anywhere but the PPV. The whole point of him even being in the UFC from their POV is to make coin. And for the money they're paying him, the only way to get some of that back is by using his name value to boost buys. There are no doubt a fair number of people who bought this PPV just to see Punk fight and had no interest in anything else. You stick that fight on FOX Sports 1 and those people keep their money in their pockets. 

It's clear he had no business in there but once you've decided to green light a fight like this, you've got to make the best of it. I've seen Dana's post fight comments saying he wished he stuck it on Fight Pass but he's flat-out lying. Why else would Punk have ever been fighting in the UFC if not to get PPV buys. They were never airing that fight for free. 

As for the Punk vs Jackson fight itself, I found it uncomfortable to watch. In some ways you think at least he got to have an actual fight this time and not just get blown out in 2 minutes. But I actually thought this might've been worse. He took a drawn out beating here. 

Whittaker vs Romero 2 was great. Started slow and Yoel always seems to do better when he starts slow and eases into the fight. Really loved this, it was even better than the first fight. Kind of lost track scoring but by the end I felt like Yoel had done enough to take the decision, or at least a draw. Whittaker is granite to have survived the second half of this fight. He took some horrible punishment. You could almost see the years coming off his career. 

I get the calls for a rubber match but you can't really call it a rubber match when the scoreline is 2-0, despite how close this was. Plus whether it was the commission to blame or not this time, Yoel's not made 185 two times in a row now, in big PPV main events. Like Jimmy Smith said at the end of the show, the UFC are going to have a hard time putting faith in him going forward as a middleweight. As much as I'd love to see Whittaker vs Romero 3, I think 205 is calling for Yoel. Wash the bad taste of this weight miss away. Maybe they can revisit the Whittaker fight down the line if there's interest in another one. 

Loved Tuivasa vs Arlovski as well. That'd have been my FOTN on most shows not headlined by Whittaker and Romero smashing each other to bits. I still feel like it might've been a tad early for Tuivasa to go in with someone of Arlovski's experience but he got through it and we got to see more of him. And to Arlovski's credit, he looked pretty sharp himself here. One of his better showings in years for me. I think Tuivasa's got something. Not saying he'll go onto win the title or anything but he's great to watch bell to bell and he's got a certain charisma to him as well. Still early days as well, he's only going to improve in the cage and in his interviews. That Shoe-ey thing is vile though. 

Holm vs Anderson kind of went how I thought. Holm's experience just proved too much. Anderson looked a right handful everytime they were striking at distance though. She probably fucks a lot of girls up like that. Holm was just to clever and too seasoned. Liked Holm's interview as well. 

Curtis Blaydes is really starting to climb the ladder now. Back-to-back wins over Hunt and Overeem is big. It wasn't that exciting for most of the fight but he fought smart, took minimal damage and when he got the chance he put Reem away in brutal fashion. 

That De La Rocha vs Coulter fight was a slobberknocker as well. The heavyweights really brought it on this card.

Rashad Evans :( he has to stop now. He just has to. It's always sad to see a once great fighter plummet like this but it's even worse seeing it happen to a top bloke like Rashad. I always had a terrible feeling about this Anthony Smith matchup. Losing to Sam Alvey and Dan Kelly already felt like the final nails in the coffin. And I saw Smith as a more dangerous guy than both of them. 53 fucking seconds. 

Oh and fuck Colby Covington. Fuck him. 

2 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Unfortunately practicing BJJ in a gym vs using it in a fight in the UFC is a completely different ball game. 

Completely agree.

But I could have sworn that he was training BJJ for a few years while he was wrestling too.

How many years has he been doing MMA full time now ?

ive not seen the fight but I guess my point is shouldnt he be better at this stage ?

Easy to say from the comfort of my armchair but if you took a layman of similar age/weight/height and put them training for as long as Punk has been, wouldn’t they be better ?

Impossible to prove but from what I’ve read about the fight is that he looked like a guy only training a few months.

Bisping tied Covington in knots on the post-fight show - https://twitter.com/UFCEurope/status/1005799755186933760

Covington fought a really good fight and deserved to the nod. I had him winning rounds 2, 3 and 5. I was impressed with how he shutdown RDA for large periods of the fight. He just gave him no room to work. He also landed some good punches on RDA, which was a bit surprising. He's still an unpleasant dickhead though. 

I felt that Romero deserved at least a draw and probably the win. He wasn't robbed. Whittaker won rounds 1 and 2, and was set to win the 4th round outright before Romero rocked him in the closing stages. The two rounds that Romero won outright (3 and 5), were borderline 10-8 rounds, but it was reasonable to score them 10-9. It was one hell of a fight though. Round 3 in particular was crazy. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Bisping is really nailing this late-career role. That was exactly what the world needed after Cardio Colby did the work.

Woodley must be delighted. Although I imagine Colby will actually get in his head, seeing as Woodley is so bloody defensive and paranoid.

Whittaker also broke his hand in the 1st. Maybe Yoel is made of metal.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Ah great I'll have to watch the Bisping/Covington stuff. Without even knowing what he's said I already knew where Bisping's allegiances would lie in this one. He's had a few digs at Colby Cringe on his podcast and Bisping and RDA are also both close to Jason Parillo so understandable Bisping's loyalties would swing that way. Plus Colby is a prick. 

45 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

But I could have sworn that he was training BJJ for a few years while he was wrestling too.

How many years has he been doing MMA full time now ?

ive not seen the fight but I guess my point is shouldnt he be better at this stage ?

I haven't followed Punk too closely but I think he'd been training BJJ in some capacity for a few years before he stopped wrestling. But that doesn't mean he was training at a high level. It was probably just a hobby for a long time. I mean, until he left WWE he wouldn't have even had the time to really dedicate to getting good at BJJ because he was always on the road or injured or beaten down from the travel or whatever. It takes years and years to get good at grappling. Some never will. Fuck, I've been doing BJJ on and off since about 2014 and I'm not much better than the first day. It's like anything else, you have to put serious time in. And if you're starting in your mid to late 30s, unless you're some freak athlete, everyone's just had too much of a head start on you. 

When did Punk leave WWE, was around 2014 wasn't it? So he's only been training MMA full time since then. And he was coming in pushing 40 with a history of wrestling injuries and no real background in any martial art, other than doing BJJ as a hobby for a couple of years previously. It's just not as simple as him getting good because he's trained a bit.

He gave it a go, and the UFC were wiling to let him have a go and pay him handsomely for it. Can't knock him for that. But it's over. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I genuinely don't know who Corey Graves is, I think I've seen his name in passing on here. I'm so out of touch with wrestling. Just had a quick look and yeah, bit of a cock. No need for it. Pretty pathetic waiting until Punk lost to put the boot in. 

• Paid Members

The main event might be my favorite fight of the year. So much stuff happened you kinda forget it could've been stopped if the ref brought in the doctor towards end of round 2. 

I enjoy both guys. Such a shame Romero is 41. He was like a ticking time bomb in them first two rounds. Really is a 1 of a kind.