The Undertaker - Spoilers

ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Just as sure as we were that The Undertaker was done (for a while) after Wrestlemania 33, we can be sure he's coming back after Wrestlemania 34. What do we reckon is next for him in the coming year?

Some folk have speculated that we're getting a match v John Cena at next years 'Mania, in a proper match. Career v Career and all that

I wonder if they had a look at how well they did booking around Goldberg being physically broken down and limited, and fancy giving Undertaker another go doing something similar? I suppose the story can be that of a resurgent Deadman. People will be more kind to 'Taker than dear old Bill too, you reckon.

He's got a match with Rusev coming up and I'm sure it will be a squash effort.

Anyway, how do you see it going? 

• Paid Members

Funny this came up, because I watched the Andre documentary and thought "that's where Undertaker's headed." I think we'll see him wheeled out immobile doing tag matches with Kane when he's into his 60s. It's always nice to have him around, but I dont think he's a big miss anymore. He's fell into that Hogan, Austin, Shawn category where, yes, by all means get them on the show, but if they aren't there nobody is really crying about it.

The whole thing is so fucking sad now.  He was so broken down he had double hip surgery, and rather than using that to enjoy the next 30 years of his life with his young hot wife, he's going to use them up bouncing around a ring again.  

He's become the very definition of the old wrestler who doesn't know when to hang it up.  He's already had his miracle renaissance - a series of fantastic Wrestlemania matches against HHH and HBK that were far better than most of what he did in the 90s.

I say this a huge long term fan of the guy, but I never ever want to see him wrestle again, and I sincerely hope he leaves it at that.

• Awards Moderator

He’s my all time favourite, but I’d have been fine with WM33 being his end. At this point I don’t know if I’d buy any farewell as actually being so. I appreciate that he still wants to keep going as long as he can but I don’t think anyone would begrudge him an actual retirement.

7 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

He’s my all time favourite, but I’d have been fine with WM33 being his end. At this point I don’t know if I’d buy any farewell as actually being so. I appreciate that he still wants to keep going as long as he can but I don’t think anyone would begrudge him an actual retirement.

Other than the “one more match!” cretins from RAW 25

• Paid Members

I lost all interest in him when he lost the streak. His career was winding down by the time they fully acknowledged it so for the last few years of his career it was all he had, until he didn't anymore.

Now he's a broken old man who has no streak, never shows up, has lost more than once at Wrestlemania and can't go in the ring any more. He's worthless.

I know he was shown to be pretty beat up in the WWE 24 of WrestleMania 33 but this might be just fine if he's intending on wrestling a handful of 10 minute matches where he does all the Undertaker bits and gets out of dodge. The guy's obviously feeling up for it, and if he thinks his 33 retirement was a bit of a wet fart - which is was - then fuck it, hats off to the man whose put it back on. I wouldn't begrudge him it. 

He honestly doesn't strike me as the kind of desperate Ric Flair archetype who just won't be able to leave it alone after a point. 

• Paid Members

In fairness to him, I felt at Mania he looked to be in the best shape physically he has been in absolutely ages, maybe even back to around 2012/2013. If he feels he can go, and they are setting up a career vs career match and a proper send-off for him in the next couple of years (maybe do the Ric Flair, stick him in the HOF the night before), with one last cracker with Cena, then I am up for him being back. However, if he is not in the physical shape to do it, which he appeared not to be last year, then I hope he's done soon. 

• Paid Members

My interest in the Undertaker has only been in the Streak in recent years, but John Cena did a tremendous (if sometimes baffling) job making you want to see The Undertaker. The match at 'Mania was clearly designed to get the most out of what little they felt The Undertaker has now.

I'm interested to see how many matches he puts in this year. As discussed, they maybe feel they can go the Goldberg way with him and have him turn up for a few matches and just do his signature spots.

I agree with Ian, though. He just refuses to piss off, even if his body can't cope with it. 

• Paid Members

It definitely seemed like the "retirement" angle was them hedging their bets just in case he wasn't in good enough shape to come back after the hip operation.

I don't think it's even a case of him clinging on to it, I just don't think he's got it in him to say no when Vince comes calling.

I guess the match at the Greatest Royal Rumble will be a better indication of where he's at than Wrestlemania was - 'Mania was very much a "he's back, and he's as good as he ever was" story, while I can't see Jericho going in for a five minute squash with him getting no offence in.

• Paid Members

Cena's work in regenerating interest in him was great. His work on the go-home Raw pre-Wrestlemania was much better to watch live because the anticipation levels were off the scale. Similarly with the tease and eventual reveal in New Orleans, the crowd were begging for it and popped huge when they got him. So the interest is still there from the masses, and as long as he draws breath he'll keep getting presented to us on a sporadic basis. 

I know the general consensus is that he doesn't know when to call it a day, but there's a difference between being unable to let go and when the phone call comes asking to do the company a favour. He's effectively been semi-retired for the last few years anyway - it's not like he's desperately clinging on to a full schedule and forever trying to keep himself on top of the pile. He's also company man first and foremost. Not necessarily in terms of putting several new stars over, but if Vince wants him to do something, he'll suck it up and do it out of loyalty to him, the company, etc. 

I'm indifferent as to what they do with him, but I'm glad he came back for the quickie with Cena. Wouldn't have liked to see the match with Reigns last year be his final outing where he just looked completely knackered and barely mobile. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Wouldn't have liked to see the match with Reigns last year be his final outing where he just looked completely knackered and barely mobile. 

It's a weird one for me, in that him being as knackered as he was kind of made it work. When it became clear that it was going to be presented as his "last" match, people I was watching with were so invested, and a lot of them in disbelief that there could even be a WWE without The Undertaker in it - and then as the match unfolds, and he struggles to sit up, can't manage the Tombstone reversal spot, it kind of sunk in, and you thought, "yeah, fair enough, it's time".

I get the idea of wanting to see him go out on a great match, or out on a victory, but I always just think that, in a kayfabe perspective, if you're going out on top, why are you going out at all? If you're still winning matches at the highest level, why are you retiring now? It's part of the reason I don't like them sticking to The Undertaker a supernatural unstoppable whatever-he-is when it suits them, and only suggesting that he might be getting old and broken down, rather than letting us see him as a more human, increasingly fragile character - a story they've been telling piecemeal since the Triple H Wrestlemania matches, but never fully committed to.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's a weird one for me, in that him being as knackered as he was kind of made it work. When it became clear that it was going to be presented as his "last" match, people I was watching with were so invested, and a lot of them in disbelief that there could even be a WWE without The Undertaker in it - and then as the match unfolds, and he struggles to sit up, can't manage the Tombstone reversal spot, it kind of sunk in, and you thought, "yeah, fair enough, it's time".

I get the idea of wanting to see him go out on a great match, or out on a victory, but I always just think that, in a kayfabe perspective, if you're going out on top, why are you going out at all? If you're still winning matches at the highest level, why are you retiring now? It's part of the reason I don't like them sticking to The Undertaker a supernatural unstoppable whatever-he-is when it suits them, and only suggesting that he might be getting old and broken down, rather than letting us see him as a more human, increasingly fragile character - a story they've been telling piecemeal since the Triple H Wrestlemania matches, but never fully committed to.

Orlando was definitely an interesting watch from that perspective and definitely take your point on that. But unlike the Triple H matches where he was effectively selling the majority of the time to tell the story in that manner, at 33 he was just flummoxed as an actual performer, hence the blown spots and lethargic pace. You can still tell the story of a battered old veteran effectively if the worker himself is still able to perform/convey that sense of vulnerability, if that makes sense? Which he seems to be in a much better position to do now he's fixed his hip and has had a significant amount of time to get back into relative fighting shape. It wouldn't be one for me but it would be interesting to see how a match with Roman would pan out now as opposed to last year. Maybe that's the route they are heading down with Cena for next year. 

• Paid Members

Like most, I also lost a lot of interest in The Undertaker once the streak ended. It took something huge away from WrestleMania for sure. But when they build him right, like the matches with Lesnar and the recent Cena stuff, I still care enough. The general audience definitely does.

I never wanted to see him go out by disappearing and leaving just his boots and coat in the ring. Absolute horseshit. Fitting with the character, granted, but not the way to see him go after nearly 30 years.

I thought he looked good at Mania. He was in good shape and his hair was better. We know he can't do 25 minute epics anymore but there is definitely a story to tell. Pat's is a great idea. It's a character that always evolved. Be great to see it do so now in this "reality" era. Thought that when he used Ain't no grave that time. He'd make a great Clint Eastwood style old but hard man. There are tons of young guys to do all the working for him. He wouldn't need to do most PPVs. In fact, it would work better if it was vignettes of him from bars, ranches, hunting trips, etc. Far better than flashing purple lights and that 27-minute entrance.

Archived