UFC 223 is McFucked

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I agree with the second paragraph, but the first bit is missing the point. The UFC can't pay its fighters what McGregor got from boxing - MMA isn't that big, it doesn't draw anywhere near the money boxing does. Yes, McGregor doesn't need to do anything per se, but if he wants to make a living from fighting, then he does need to accept that he isn't going to get the money he got from fighting Mayweather in MMA. He also needs to accept that, whilst he makes money for the UFC, that's only true so long as he's still fighting. Carping from the sidelines while doing fuck-all won't get him anything, because it doesn't get the UFC anything.

I think MMA could do those kind of numbers and no doubt ufc wants to but they can only draw that kind of money with starpower that appeals to the mainstream. Unfortunately, the level of competiton that makes it so good is also its achilles heel as it almost impossible to protect fighters in MMA (Rousey) or pay them enough (Mcgregor) so they cant milk the cash cow for long enough. If they want to continue to grow it is something they need to figure out.

2 minutes ago, boytoy said:

I think MMA could do those kind of numbers and no doubt ufc wants to but they can only draw that kind of money with starpower that appeals to the mainstream. Unfortunately, the level of competiton that makes it so good is also its achilles heel as it almost impossible to protect fighters in MMA (Rousey) or pay them enough (Mcgregor) so they cant milk the cash cow for long enough. If they want to continue to grow it is something they need to figure out.

Boxing doesn't even do those kinds of numbers regularly and that's the number one, established combat sport in the civilised world. There's no way MMA is pulling in the kind of dough that it would take to pay one of its fighters over $200 million. 

• Paid Members

Can't speak for anyone else, Guy, and I don't expect everyone will believe me, but no - not me. Guy's lost the plot, and at the very least should have the book thrown at him. Rewarding him with a title shot would say the UFC have got everything wrong. Nobody's so entertaining that I want to see them fight immediately after doing something like that, especially as they've fucked the rest of the card.

9 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

For all our righteous condemnation, if Dana White announced right now that the UFC had bailed Conor, and he was stepping in tomorrow against Khabib, we'd all cream our collective undies.

It's a weird one though, isn't it? I mean, when you really think about it the UFC have no moral obligation to do what's right when it comes to McGregor, does it? If, for example, he walks away from this court hearing today with a fine and a slap on the wrist, then who's to say the UFC have to punish him?

If the actual Government who hold the law over the land decide he hasn't done anything serious enough to warrant real punishment then why should a privately owned company be held to a higher standard?

I don't actually see the UFC doing much beyond a financial penalty, and any ban they give him will likely be something weak like a six month one or something, which would be a nonsense. I think the way Dana has carefully chosen his words in his public appearances since last night tells us a lot, such as how he isn't interested in working with or speaking to Conor "right now", or the fact that he still hasn't stripped him of the damn title yet!

If McGregor isn't dealt with harshly by the authorities I can see him fighting Kahbib for the title before the autumn is out.

• Paid Members

Yeah, for all Dana's crowing about being "disgusted" with Conor, and I don't doubt that he's angry at the moment and he's had a stressful as fuck week, you just know in the back of his mind he's thinking 'well this just makes Conor vs Khabib bigger'. He has to be seen to be 100% against this and I do think he'd rather it didn't happen, but now that it has...well, he's a business man and deep down he'll be thinking of the money spinner this could be when everything calms down. 

I know it wasn't as bad as this but I'm sure he was publicly outraged by the Jones-Cormier brawl before their first fight and it wasn't long before they were using the footage to hype the fight. No doubt this 'Busgate' mess will all be part of a special Countdown type show for Conor vs Khabib down the road. Has all this been included in Embedded? I haven't watched any of them yet. 

• Paid Members

I went away last night with the family for a night away over the Easter break, and I'm only just getting caught up on everything now. What a shit show this whole thing has turned into. An utter disaster of an event. McGregor should be ashamed of himself. Unfortunately, I expect he doesn't even feel he has done anything wrong. Which is a crying shame. 

Just get Khabib in there tomorrow night against any eijit you can find that's willing to take the gamble and can make weight, get a title on the line, and try and make some chicken salad out of this chicken shit. 

There's a hell of a lot of drama involved in everything that has went on this week. Unfortunately all of it is stuff that reflects really badly on the sport and makes it look even more bush league than Joe Public already thought it was. 

• Paid Members

Say Khabib doesn't end up fighting tomorrow, and with every minute that passes that's looking increasingly likely, what do you think happens next as far as Khabib and the title goes? 

Looking at the upcoming cards I'd stick Khabib vs someone on UFC 225 in June. That's the Chicago PPV with Whittaker vs Romero 2 and Punk's next fight. Adding a Khabib fight to crown the next lightweight champ on there would really add to that one IMO. Maybe Khabib vs Alvarez or something. Fuck knows where that leaves Ferguson. 

Khabib vs Holloway could still be an option and I'd be much more up for that in June when Max's ankle should be healed fully and everyone's had a full camp and time to make weight. Not sure I want to see it more than Holloway vs Ortega though. 

In an ideal world I'd go with Khabib vs Alvarez and Holloway vs Ortega. 

Of course, scrap all this if Khabib ends up fighting tomorrow. 

If Khabib doesn't fight tomorrow I honestly think they'll hold off to see what the fallout from the Conor thing is. If it's quite lenient I could see them just going with McGregor vs Khabib in a few months time.

Dana will frame it as "if they want to fight, let them fucking fight" or something like that.

• Paid Members

Probably. 

Hang on, have we lost the Iaquinta vs Felder fight from this card whatever happens now then? If Khabib doesn't end up fighting one of them does Iaquinta vs Felder go ahead as originally planned? It does, right? 

Yeah just get Khabib a fight, he wins just call him champion, most of the fans are there to see him fight and he doesn't fight that much, he also will have to take several months off for Ramadan soon anyway. Tony Ferguson is injured, so Khabib won't be fighting between May & August

Archived