Jump to content

Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Thanks for that @Ronnie!

I was disappointed by the first batch of Andor episodes - maybe my expectations were just too high but there were elements that didn't work for me.

No such disappointment with episodes 4-6. I loved them and it's exactly what I wanted from Andor. Proper WW2 French Resistance style, espionage, extreme tension created by unscrewing something, brilliant character work, wonderful locations, everything feeling like building and developing what had come before. Exceptional stuff.

Exactly the same thoughts Harmie. 1-3 felt a bit like keeping characters in stasis until they were all ready (Mothma boogie aside). But 4-6 were a great a little story.

I've just spotted the top comment which is what the chef's kiss emoji was made for.

Quote

Sir, we have located the Rebel bass.

 

Edited by Onyx2
  • Paid Members
Posted

The level of dread and tension in episode 8 nearly made me throw up. Then the ensuing carnage left me completely breathless. What an incredible episode of television. Imagine being Dave Filoni, watching that, then going back to your shitty little Ahsoka show or whatever. I wouldn't be able to look at my co-workers in the eye.

A list of all the brilliant moments in that episode would go on forever and ever. But the stars of the show were Syril and Dedra. Syril's dawning realisation of what he'd done and for the first time seeing what the Empire was really about was incredible. Dedra trying to hold everything together as her plans finally unfold into relentless murder...what a show.

  • Paid Members
Posted
48 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Imagine being Dave Filoni, watching that, then going back to your shitty little Ahsoka show or whatever

A new series called Tales of the Underworld d-r-o-p-p-e-d on the same day. It was a pointless piece of fanwankery, ending with "...and I... am <insert character that only appears on a cartoon>" played for gasps. Shock horror, directed by Dave Filoni. What a hack. I'd love to see him and Steve Moffat write something together to create the show that manages to stick it's head so far up it's bum it can see it's own dinner.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I am loving parts of Season 2, I think by and large they're delivering the payoffs that Season 1 pointed to. But I'm struggling to love the compressed timeline. So much of what I really loved about Season 1 were the small moments and character interactions that Season 2 points to but has to skip over because a year has to pass every three episodes. Syril going from righteous believer to betrayed realisation was great! I loved it! I would have loved even more that happening over the course of an entire season as we see him get closer to the local rebel cell and see his loyalty slowly pulled in two directions.

An elided Season 2 is still better than any Star Wars show that isn't Andor Season 1, but I am definitely feeling that difference.

  • Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

The level of dread and tension in episode 8 nearly made me throw up. Then the ensuing carnage left me completely breathless. What an incredible episode of television. Imagine being Dave Filoni, watching that, then going back to your shitty little Ahsoka show or whatever. I wouldn't be able to look at my co-workers in the eye.

A list of all the brilliant moments in that episode would go on forever and ever. But the stars of the show were Syril and Dedra. Syril's dawning realisation of what he'd done and for the first time seeing what the Empire was really about was incredible. Dedra trying to hold everything together as her plans finally unfold into relentless murder...what a show.

The Ghors' song has been haunting my head for the past twelve hours and shows no signs of going anywhere. Absolutely chilling. 

I'd put Diego Luna's performance put up there, too. "Who are you" made me gasp. His face as he drove away from the slaughter, knowing that message begging for help is going out and knowing he can't. Fucking devastating. But Denise Gough's reaction afterwards - the shaking hand, the breaths, the violent tugging down of her uniform - fucking hell. 

On the Filoni front, the only low point of the ninth episode was knowing the extraction of Mon Mothma could only be from the Senate, because Filoni's Rebels gang have to be the ones to pick her up, at which point she has to make a second speech nowhere near as good as the one we just saw. 

I've got no idea what they'll do with Dedra and with Luthen in the final block of episodes. Presumably neither makes it out alive - but how?

@Jesse I totally get that feeling as well. Understand why they did it - the original plan of five seasons would have taken so long to make - but I'd have taken it. The first episode of each block has felt a little slight just because they've got to bed you in with what happened during the skip (in this case, the fact that Yavin's now a full-on functioning Rebel base and Luthen's now a fringe outsider with no wider control).

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
WE ARE THE GHOR
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I think the next few days will be me just posting random bits from episode 8 that I loved when they come to mind, so apologies for that.

But, that moment where Syril is taken to a room filled with presumably the families of ISB officers and KX droids to protect them and realises that shit is about to kick off. And one of the droids stares at him...good lord.

When the stormtroopers close the gates to lock everyone in my heart rate shot through the roof.

And then the droids join the fray and start yeeting people all over the place. Insane.

On the subject of Filoni - he makes perfectly acceptable and often enjoyable kids cartoons of Star Wars but he should never of been allowed anywhere near live action. He's useless at it. He's done more damage to Star Wars live action the past few years than pretty much anyone else. 

Edited by LaGoosh
  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Luthen in the final block of episodes

I am reminded that he was dicking about with a Khyber crystal in s1 and walked with a stick - just please don't be yet another forgotten Jedi. I trust Gilroy, but please no. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
16 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I am reminded that he was dicking about with a Khyber crystal in s1 and walked with a stick - just please don't be yet another forgotten Jedi. I trust Gilroy, but please no. 

That said, if anyone can make that land, this bunch can.

  • Paid Members
Posted

In a heartbreaking reveal, turns out the Andor team wrote a standalone horror episode of the show based around a rogue killer KX droid trapped in an abandoned battle ship but Disney wouldn't give them the budget to do it.

I can't think of anything I want to see more in my life than that.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Well that was the last good Star Wars thing we'll ever seen. Fitting that it was the best Star Wars thing though.

Kind of funny that after all the struggle, misery, hard work and pain that like a week later Luke and Han are stuck screaming like idiots in a trash compactor on the Death Star.

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
22 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Andor episodes 10-12:

  Hide contents

No notes.

 

This. I am bereft that it’s over. 

Stay for the credits. There’s no extra scene or anything but you’ll be glad you did.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Did Krennic sound much more Aussie than in Rogue One?  Throw a couple of Ghorman's on the barbie.

It was essentially perfect.

10 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Stay for the credits. There’s no extra scene or anything but you’ll be glad you did.

And the extra hilarious "If you liked this try Rogue One: A Star Wars Story."

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...