The Celebrity Sexual Harassment and Rapists Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, DavidB6937 said:

Depends who you ask. It's been heavily debated for years. I don't think there's any official diagnosis.

Unless I’m misunderstanding it even the link Keith posted opens by saying it’s not officially recognised by (what sounds like) the main board for disorders. It also has to reiterate multiple times during that it’s not officially recognised or diagnosed.

20 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Unless I’m misunderstanding it even the link Keith posted opens by saying it’s not officially recognised by (what sounds like) the main board for disorders. It also has to reiterate multiple times during that it’s not officially recognised or diagnosed.

It’s not included in the DSM 5 but it is classed as a thing in therapy and the like. When you have someone who exhibits an addiction to drugs, then an addiction to drink, it’s not a great leap to suggest that an addict then seeks their high / escape from another means. I’m not an alcoholic because I like the taste, for example. I like the numbness and escape. I’m not an opiate addict because they alleviate physical pain, they alleviate emotional pain and I like the numbness and escape. I’m an addict, I’m dirty but clean. I also drink huge amounts of Pepsi max and take CBD oil. They’re not officially classed as a disorder but it’s the addiction itself, not necessarily what it is you chase your addiction with. 

The NHS even has a page regarding getting advice and help for sex addiction. It’s a very real thing, just not officially classed as a disorder. I suspect that will change though with the (according to my GP) shift and preference for umbrella terms for disorders. 

I think this whole thing is yet another example of the public adopting the if you like him, or like his employer, you’ll excuse him. And if you don’t like him, or his employer, you’ll condemn him. I honestly think Brand isn’t the person he was back then. I think he’s got clean and changed his ways. I also think he is a rapist and abused women. Just because he doesn’t anymore that doesn’t exclude or justify his crimes. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yes, and it can be incredibly harmful for the addict. 
https://www.healthline.com/health/addiction/sex

That Adam Blampied said he was a sex addict when all the allegations against him first surfaced, didn't he? There's that film with Michael Fassbender as well. Is it called Shame?

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think the saddest thing is why the  victims felt they couldn’t speak up, even when they had hard evidence. Because they thought he was that untouchable that the police either wouldn’t take them seriously or his lawyers would make sure they didn’t. Seen a lot of “why are they only speaking up now” and that’s due to the pathetic statistics of rape cases that lead to conviction. 

Why does that last line seem to come up over and over and over again? I feel like it's been explained a million times over the last few years and people still bring it up (I know they are people just looking for an excuse to not believe victims) but at this point a simple Google can give you the answer to that question, you hardly need a psychology degree to understand why people come forward at a later date.

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members

From what friends have told me it's the ordeal of going through the investigation afterwards as well. All the "are you sure it's not just buyer's remorse" etc. Going through all that just to have it thrown out because it can end up being your word against theirs and they can afford better legal representation must be a horrendous thing to go through.

5 minutes ago, deathrey said:

but at this point a simple Google can give you the answer to that question

The people who ask that question don’t want to know the answer. Probably because they may be forced to confront not only their prejudice but also their behaviours. 

There’s also the aspect of those people who don’t give a shit about abuse victims, as I said earlier they only care about attacking the abusers if they don’t like them, or ignoring the whole thing if they do like them. The actual people who were abused are inconsequential. 

Without a doubt, going to the police, testifying going through court etc retraumatises the victim. There is a shit ton of research that shows as much. That isn't the only reason people don't come forward though, the reasons are multiple and complex from not being believed to not processing the trauma, there are so many reasons victims don't come forward for a long time. Use your imagination and try and put yourself in their shoes just for 30 seconds and you can come up with lots of reasons.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Judging by the type of people on Twitter that are defending Brand, you could present all the facts in the world and they'd still try to victim blame or something. Some truly vile people. 

Anybody I've seen supporting follows up with something about the media trying to take down Tate, Musk (the owner of a huge main stream social media outlet FFS) and Rogan.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Christ, the shit that women have to put up with on Live TV, I can only imagine what happens in private - 

I’d have thought his hand would be more likely to be feeling up the person the other side of him, if the rumours about Louis are to be believed